PDA

View Full Version : Shania Centre Has a new name-Timmins Update

cbspock
11-29-2000, 06:48 AM
http://www.timminspress.com/timminspress/st/stic-b.htmShania Centre gets new name

A contest to name the new Shania Twain facility at the Timmins Underground Gold Mine Tour was held in which people could vote through e-mail, regular mail or drop off ballots at the Timmins Museum: National Exhibition Centre.

The overwhelming choice of the people during the week-long contest was the Shania Twain Centre, favoured by 42 per cent of the voters.

Other names on the ballot included:

Shania Twain Music Centre,
Shania Twain at Home,
Shania Twain Experience,
Shania Twain Interpretive Centre.
Shania Twain at Home was favoured by 22 per cent and the Shania Twain Music Centre by 20 per cent.

The two remaining selections each received eight per cent of the vote.

Two-hundred and fifty-four people cast their votes.

Of all the votes, the percentage was split between local people and those from out of town, said Karen Bachmann-Tonelli, curator at the museum.

The 254 votes were more than we were expecting, she said. There was a lot of international exposure.

Voters included fans from as far away as Japan, the Gold Coast of Australia and Switzerland, as well as across North America, said Bachmann-Tonelli. I think theres a lot of interest in the centre. People are looking for a way to get involved.

Everyone who cast a ballot was entered in a draw for a Shania Twain Fan Package which included photos, a T-shirt, a music books, a Shania video and posters.

Timmins own Marguerite Dubeau was selected as the winner.

The centre is expected to be completed by July 1 with Shania in attendance.

DOC BILL
11-29-2000, 06:55 AM
AWESOME! Don't I love progress! Love the name too! DOC

Joni
11-29-2000, 10:53 AM
Ugh! I thought you had to be a Timmins resident to vote........guess I won't be winning the cool stuff.

Joni

TwigDancer16
11-29-2000, 05:10 PM
Personally I think that is an awesome name. First of all, even though shania doesn't live there year round, I still think she considers Timmins her home and I think all her true fans do too. I know I do. Second of all, that really represents her. With the name "Shania at Home" you kinda can see what she's like. I mean, at her concerts she looks so "at home" with what she's doing and she makes everyone else feel really good. Performing is what she was meant to do and she's awesome at it. Also "Shania at Home" sounds casual, like anyone is welcome and thats very inviting and gives a great initiative for people to check out her Centre. So overall, I think that name really fits her and all she stands for. Maybe im just looking for a deeper meaning where there really isn't one. LOL Im trying to be deep lol hahahaha j/k. But honestly, I really am glad that name won.
Love Always,
Erika Michelle

I CAN'T WAIT FOR TIMMINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryce
11-29-2000, 07:02 PM
I like it. Shania Twain Centre has a nice ring to it. It's the one I would have voted for.

Shania Twain Interpretive Centre was too long.

Can't waite for July http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/biggrin.gif http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/biggrin.gif

Bryce

Roger
11-29-2000, 07:47 PM
Shania Twain Centre is definitely the best of the names listed. I still say everyone is going to drop the Twain and just call it the Shania Centre.

Roger

Steve F
11-30-2000, 06:29 AM
I like Shania Twain Centre. It's not catchy like say Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe, but it's nice. I would have voted for the Shania Experience if I had the chance. Of course I guess I would have been in the minority. Well, as they are saying a lot here in the States recently, it's time to give up and move on. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/smile.gif

------------------
Man, I Feel Like A Real Shania Fan

Steve

Joni
11-30-2000, 02:41 PM
You Know. I don't think they will drop "Twain". It's seems to be very important to Shania. She wouldn't change her last name, when asked to.......Shania could definetley be known by her first name in the entertainment business but I think she will never drop the "Twain" I believe out of respect and love and as a reminder of who she "is" she will keep it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but her parents never knew "Shania". Anyway, I think you get my point.

Joni

Steve F
11-30-2000, 03:29 PM
Joni, you bring up a very good point. Shania's folks never knew her by that name, and yes she is very strong about Twain. She does have a name that is pretty recognizable now all over the world.

I just remembered this. I was at my dentist's office about a year ago and Shania's FTMO was playing over his office stearo. I told him Shania was my favorite gal singer and he seemed to agree. He said to me, "she is one cool & talented lady". He has a daughter who went to high with my son and I coached them both in soccer. Her name is Shanna. A few minutes later without thinking, I asked him how Shania was doing in college. He laughed and said, "Shania doesn't need to go to college, but if you mean Shanna, she is doing well. Hopefully, she will be joining me in a couple of years in my practice." I had totally forgotten that til now. I felt like such a dork. I was embarassed. http://www.shania-twain.org/messages/redface.gif

------------------
Man, I Feel Like A Real Shania Fan

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve F (edited 11-30-2000).]