PDA

View Full Version : Nashville influencing New Tracks??

Shaniafan2000
09-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Just curious what you think about this. I have heard Party for Two with Shania and Billy Currington and I would say that this song combines the fun lyrics and sound of Come On Over with some of the Twang from The Woman in Me cd. Of course, nobody has yet heard "Don't" or "I Ain't No Quitter" Does anyone think that the new songs are having a more country sound to please Nashville or as a result of Up! being not as successful as Come On Over, although I realize for anyone to have album sells as great as COO! are incredibly difficult. Don't get me wrong, I love PFT and am in NO way accusing Shania of selling out or anything like that as she obviously still is catering to ALL of her fanbase by doing PFT with Mark as well. Also, it seems to me unusual for Shania to do a duet with a newcomer such as Billy rather than a more established country artists as most country duets have been two fairly successful artists (i.e. Clint Black and Martina Mcbride, Garth and Trisha). Don't get me wrong I think that Billy and Shania compliment each other great, and it may be that Mercury may have wanted Shania to use a labelmate, I don't know. Furthermore, imo, I would think that Rob Thomas would have been a better choice for the pop version of PFT than Mark, but then again I haven't heard the pop version yet so I will give Mark the benefit of the doubt as well as the fact that even though I like Rob, i'm not sure how him and Shania would sound together. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Steven

cbspock
09-06-2004, 09:03 PM
You are starting out with a false premise. Shania is never influenced by what is going on on Music Row. She has said it herself, it keeps her music fresh. The sound for PFT is more inline with TWIM, and COO with some new twists added in.

When she did the duet with Bryan White he was a newbie as well, so no surpises with Billy.

Up! was never going to be as sucessful as COO, given the current state of the industry.

Nice ideas, but I think the facts don't support them.

-Chris

sas
09-06-2004, 09:08 PM
EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED FROM SHANIA... Always.... Personally I like the idea of someone not too well known although Billy is getting good feedback... I guess it seems to me you have a better shot of something NEW AND DIFFERENT AND MORE CREATIVE that way... ie: Shania and Mutt - who would have ever come up with that combination on paper...????:)

cbspock
09-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by sas
EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED FROM SHANIA... Always.... Personally I like the idea of someone not too well known although Billy is getting good feedback... I guess it seems to me you have a better shot of something NEW AND DIFFERENT AND MORE CREATIVE that way... ie: Shania and Mutt - who would have ever come up with that combination on paper...????:)

Very good points. Billy is new enough in that he has not established a style yet. Hooking up with your label's biggest star, is a great break for him. He can afford to take risks. Also, doing a duet with another labels' artists can cause trouble. Look at how the Garth and Trisha album is being held up by the lawyers.

-Chris

sas
09-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Not to mention the fact 3 years have passed since the songs on UP were recorded.. maybe even longer... She has changed and grown during that time as well .... We all change .. I think this is truely Shania at this place and time... No more influenced - than by life itself....

cbspock
09-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by sas
Not to mention the fact 3 years have passed since the songs on UP were recorded.. maybe even longer... She has changed and grown during that time as well .... We all change .. I think this is truely Shania at this place and time... No more influenced - than by life itself....

HEY1

Every album they have brought something new to the table, not just between Up! and now. She gives each one its own personality, and character.

-Chris

Jud
09-06-2004, 09:21 PM
we will hear why Currington was choosen, but perhaps because he's a label mate.
I am not sure Rob Thomas' voice would suit much better this song.
But Sugarray has hits with a kinda similar style.

And last but not least, not everyone doing duets only with established artist. That can be good tactics for having a hit or good sales, but it's not an insurance for success or quality.

On the other hand if no one ever would do a duet with a less established artist, those would have a longer time to break through.

Steve F
09-07-2004, 12:05 PM
I think Shania is being influenced by Eilleen and I approve this message!:D :D

Steve