PDA

View Full Version : 11/9 Chart Battle: Shania, Toby, and Gretchen

925JoeFMDJ
10-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Shania Twain and Toby Keith will be both releasing their greatest hits collections on November 9th. If the competition between the two wasn't enough, there is now a re-release of Gretchen Wilson's debut CD coming out the same day. Who will be #1 on the country charts?

cbspock
10-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Shania :D :p

If you were looking for a different answer, you came to the wrong place :D HEY1

The battle would be between Toby and Shania. Gretchen is a non-player with a re-release.

Shania has outsold them all anyway. Shania runs marathons, not sprints.

-Chris

FV
10-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the messageboard!HI!
Regarding your question, all I know is that I will be buying 10 copies of Shania's Greatest Hits...0 copies of Toby's CD, and 0 copies of Gretchen's...:BL Who will get to #1....charts will tell....:p

cbspock
10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
10???? you doing all your christmas shopping on the 9th??? hehe hehe

-Chris

FV
10-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by cbspock
10???? you doing all your christmas shopping on the 9th??? hehe hehe

-Chris
Oops..I forgot about Xmas shopping..then I will have to buy 20 copies the first week....;)

cbspock
10-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by FV
Oops..I forgot about Xmas shopping..then I will have to buy 20 copies the first week....;)

:hyst:

-Chris

GonnaGetcha720
10-06-2004, 09:43 PM
I can't wait to buy the album myself...Shania's "Don't" I've heard is more of a ballad like song that will be featured in a movie but what i'm really looking forward to is hearing what Shania said is a "bootstomping country song" I Ain't NO Quitter! I can't wait!!!!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

cbspock
10-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by GonnaGetcha720
I can't wait to buy the album myself...Shania's "Don't" I've heard is more of a ballad like song that will be featured in a movie but what i'm really looking forward to is hearing what Shania said is a "bootstomping country song" I Ain't NO Quitter! I can't wait!!!!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I am most curious about "I Ain't No Quitter"

-Chris

GonnaGetcha720
10-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by 925JoeFMDJ
Shania Twain and Toby Keith will be both releasing their greatest hits collections on November 9th. If the competition between the two wasn't enough, there is now a re-release of Gretchen Wilson's debut CD coming out the same day. Who will be #1 on the country charts?

I also think Shania will win the battle!!

SHANIA'S FIRST WEEK HISTORY:

Up!'s first week sales: 874,000
Come On Over's first week sales: 172,000

TOBY'S FIRST WEEK HISTORY:

Shockin' Yall's first week sales: 585,000
Unleashed first week sales: 338,000
Pull My Chain's first week sales: 119,000

GRETCHEN'S FIRST WEEK HISTORY:

Here for the Party's First week sales: 227,000

Aren't those numbers amazing...I definately think that Shania would win...(I couldn't find "The Woman In Me" opening week sales numbers...I don't think it was really successful until a little bit after its release and the release of Any Man of Mine, but I could be wrong...does anyone else know?)

Debbie
10-06-2004, 11:09 PM
I know that I will be buying at least 5 copies of Shania's GH and none from Toby or Gretchen.:) (I may get Toby's much later when it won't really matter in the count - I will never get Gretchen's - not because I don't like her but because I don't like her music.):)

Matt
10-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Wow, my original post made no sense (forgive me, I am watching the Red Sox/Angels game). What I meant to say was so far, Gretchen has taken every opportunity she has had to put down her fellow artists. Shania has NEVER done this. I respect her so much for that. So many people are against her and want her to fail, yet she ALWAYS proves them wrong. Shania is pure class. Hands down. Shania, you are the best.

Sheri
10-06-2004, 11:44 PM
I'll be buying a few copies of Shania's GH, myself. One for home, one for car, one for office. THEN I'll buy a few for Christmas gifts. :D

jen
10-07-2004, 12:30 AM
I too will be buying around 5 copies:)

Jud
10-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Amazig how the opening week numbers are changing...172k of COO was #2 in around the same time.
Today the opening week numbers are higher generally, but the sales (cncernig of how much one album can sale) seems to be lower....

imonmywayup
10-07-2004, 06:45 AM
Don't buy Toby's or Gretchen's albums within the first month, lol. That way Shania gets more sales!!

Matt
10-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Buying someone else's CD will not hurt Shania's sales. Unless you buy their's instead of hers.

cbspock
10-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Matt
Buying someone else's CD will not hurt Shania's sales. Unless you buy their's instead of hers.

It just lifts the other artists numbers higher.

-Chris

ojibiwanqueenst
10-07-2004, 10:39 PM
It just lifts the other artists numbers higher.

-Chris

Jud is right. First week sales, doesn't matter. That number is pre-determined. Now, it WILL effect 2nd week sales b/c the stores will have to order more, causing the 2nd week numbers to climb.

cbspock
10-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by ojibiwanqueenst
Jud is right. First week sales, doesn't matter. That number is pre-determined. Now, it WILL effect 2nd week sales b/c the stores will have to order more, causing the 2nd week numbers to climb.

How are they "pre-determined"???

-Chris

leonjr
10-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Count me in for 2 or 3 of Shania's CD and zero for the others. Not because I dont like Toby or Gretchen...I just dont like them enough to buy thier cds. Maybe when I can get it really cheap on ebay...

I would like to find a poster of Whiskey Girl though.

STFaninWV
10-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Gretchen has taken every opportunity she has had to put down her fellow artists. Shania has NEVER done this.

I don't like Gretchen either, but I'm just curious as to who all she has put down in the industry?

shabas
10-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Wow, my original post made no sense (forgive me, I am watching the Red Sox/Angels game). What I meant to say was so far, Gretchen has taken every opportunity she has had to put down her fellow artists. Shania has NEVER done this. I respect her so much for that. So many people are against her and want her to fail, yet she ALWAYS proves them wrong. Shania is pure class. Hands down. Shania, you are the best.

who has gretchen put down? I've seen Gretchen in interviews i've haven't heard her say an unkind word about anyone.

cbspock
10-08-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by shabas
who has gretchen put down? I've seen Gretchen in interviews i've haven't heard her say an unkind word about anyone.

Just go to her website and see. All her marketing is based on the "anti-Shania" model. She is really a dislikable person IMO. I have seen interviews, and she just lacks the class that Shania has.

-Chris

GetchaGood
10-08-2004, 01:21 PM
I think the battle for the #1 position will be between Shania and Britney. I think it'll be close...

imonmywayup
10-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by GetchaGood
I think the battle for the #1 position will be between Shania and Britney. I think it'll be close...

I agree

shabas
10-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Just go to her website and see. All her marketing is based on the "anti-Shania" model. She is really a dislikable person IMO. I have seen interviews, and she just lacks the class that Shania has.
-Chris

i saw gretchen's in the moment on cmt i think she's down to earth and seemed friendly.

True she doesn't have the class that Shania has. but if gretchen is fortunate enough to get to make more cds and come anywhere near half the sales Shania does (that won't be easy) I'm sure she'll get better at interviews and performing.

cbspock
10-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by shabas
i saw gretchen's in the moment on cmt i think she's down to earth and seemed friendly.

True she doesn't have the class that Shania has. but if gretchen is fortunate enough to get to make more cds and come anywhere near half the sales Shania does (that won't be easy) I'm sure she'll get better at interviews and performing.

I just don't find anything appealing about her. She is just not my cup of tea.

I agree the contest for overall #1 will be Shania and Britney.

-Chris

jen
10-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Britney Spears has that remake of Bobby Brown's "My Perogitive" out right now.....is that on her Greatest hits?? If so Shania may be the front runner because it isn't any good IMO

cbspock
10-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by jen
Britney Spears has that remake of Bobby Brown's "My Perogitive" out right now.....is that on her Greatest hits?? If so Shania may be the front runner because it isn't any good IMO

I saw the video, it is pretty raw.

-Chris

ojibiwanqueenst
10-08-2004, 03:06 PM
How are they "pre-determined"???

-Chris

They are pre-determined because the 1st week sales show what the stores bought to stock shelves, not how many they sold. That's why 2nd week is always lower, because they don't sell all that they ordered so they don't have to order as many the 2nd week.

GetchaGood
10-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by jen

Yeah it is the first single for her Greatest Hits album.:

http://www.britneyspears.musictoday.com/publish/17/lang1/modules/gallery/images/2105.jpg

1. My Prerogative
2. Toxic
3. I’m A Slave 4 U
4. Oops!...I Did It Again
5. Me Against The Music feat. Madonna
6. Stronger
7. Everytime
8. …Baby One More Time
9. (You Drive Me) Crazy (The Stop Remix!)
10. Boys
11. Sometimes
12. Overprotected (The Darkchild Remix)
13. Lucky
14. Outrageous
15. I’m Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman
16. I’ve Just Begun (Having My Fun)
17. Do Somethin’

cbspock
10-08-2004, 03:11 PM
That is not even a sexy picture.

-Chris

jen
10-08-2004, 03:11 PM
So how many new songs does she have on it????..and OMG does she have enough baby oil on...might as well slap her on the grill:D

cbspock
10-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by jen
So how many new songs does she have on it????..and OMG does she have enough baby oil on...might as well slap her on the grill:D

:hyst:

-chris

Debbie
10-08-2004, 04:09 PM
They are pre-determined because the 1st week sales show what the stores bought to stock shelves, not how many they sold. That's why 2nd week is always lower, because they don't sell all that they ordered so they don't have to order as many the 2nd week.

So when is the best time for us to by our 'extra' copies of Shania's GH cd? I have to have one on the day it comes out like I'm sure the rest of you do but I can wait for the others if it would be better.:)

ojibiwanqueenst
10-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Debbie
So when is the best time for us to by our 'extra' copies of Shania's GH cd? I have to have one on the day it comes out like I'm sure the rest of you do but I can wait for the others if it would be better.:)

First week. That way the stores have to buy more and that will help boost 2nd week sales. She can hold one week at #1 on the 200, but I don't know about 2. #1 Country for several weeks is a given :D

Debbie
10-08-2004, 04:21 PM
First week. That way the stores have to buy more and that will help boost 2nd week sales. She can hold one week at #1 on the 200, but I don't know about 2. #1 Country for several weeks is a given :D

Okay, thanks for the information!:D

muzikguy94
10-08-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm betting Britney is #1 and Shania #2 the first week. I'll be buying both and ONLY ONE copy of each. If I want a CD for home, car or where ever, I'll just make copies. Blowing money on 5, 6, 10... copies is absurb just to get Shania to #1.

- Tommy

AINAHS
10-08-2004, 08:38 PM
I think the battle for the #1 position will be between Shania and Britney. I think it'll be close... :eek: :eek: ...Britney is gonna be on country chart?!!:eek: :eek:

muzikguy94
10-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS
:eek: :eek: ...Britney is gonna be on country chart?!!:eek: :eek:
For Shania and Britney, we're talking about the Billboard 200 album chart (which includes all music genres).

- Tommy

Jud
10-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Welll, who knows, in a couple of days ago one of Madonna's songs had 2 spins on the country charts.

AINAHS
10-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by muzikguy94
For Shania and Britney, we're talking about the Billboard 200 album chart (which includes all music genres).

- Tommy ..you sure like to change the subject...:D

Sheri
10-09-2004, 01:22 AM
Some call it absurd... some call it legal. Me? I'll stick with legal. I want 3 copies total for me? I'll purchase 3 copies. I work for lawyers. Go figure!

Jud
10-09-2004, 04:46 AM

That is not really like this. The first weeks sales are determined by the market. Rare exception like with COO and Mercury, when the label screwing up to provide enough cds to the stores in the initial shipment.
Generally stores (big or small) knows their own market, and that a certain artist how popular is there. And eventhough there always can be surprises of sudden high demand, the stores has enough cds, as it's their own financial interet to not being over- or underloaded with cds, as they are paying fot them and paying for transport too.

So the first weeks sales are determined mainly by the buzz around the album, the lead single and promotion, and fanbase, etc.
The continuing good sales again are determined by the buzz around the album, the sequence singles, promotion, tour, and word of mouth effect, fanbase, and the interest of general music buyers.

The big difference between first week and second week sales is coming mainly from the fact, that no charts are accurate, even Soundscan which is allegedly on-counter sales is using estimations. Hitsdailydouble also using estimations, based on a certain numbers of stores. So sometimes figures are blown up.

sas
10-09-2004, 06:20 AM
this may be answered somewhere here and may be a stupid question but do pre-sales on the interenet ie... Amazon count on first day ???

muzikguy94
10-09-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm betting Britney is #1 and Shania #2 the first week. I'll be buying both and ONLY ONE copy of each. If I want a CD for home, car or where ever, I'll just make copies. Blowing money on 5, 6, 10... copies is absurb just to get Shania to #1.

- Tommy
:eek: :eek: ...Britney is gonna be on country chart?!!:eek: :eek:

- Tommy
..you sure like to change the subject...:D
I'm not the one who brought Britney into the picture. :D

- Tommy

Debbie
10-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Sheri
Some call it absurd... some call it legal. Me? I'll stick with legal. I want 3 copies total for me? I'll purchase 3 copies. I work for lawyers. Go figure!

Man! Sheri I'm with you!!! I want one for my car, one for my husband's car and one for in my home. The other two that I will BUY will be for gifts! I will BUY my copies because it is the right thing to do. Shania never gives her fans her music the cheap way (example: she and Mutt fill a cd with music) and in return I will not be cheap back. Like I said it is the RIGHT thing to do! It amazes me that the same people who say one album did not sell as well as another one are the same people who are so cheap that they copy music - which is exactly why album sales in the 1990's can't be compaired with album sales now. Add up all the copied albums with the actual sales and then the present 'sales' would be more compatable with sales in the past. JMO but at least when I lay my head on my pillow at night I KNOW that I will have done the RIGHT thing.:)

muzikguy94
10-09-2004, 11:50 AM
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
You guys are unreal! Why would someone BLOW MONEY and buy 5 - 10 copies for YOURSELF??? Making copies for YOURSELF is not called being cheap, it's called being logical. If you buy a CD, you can make as many copies for YOURSELF as you want. Don't give me that "it hurts album sales" stuff. IN NO WAY IS IT ILLEGAL TO MAKE COPIES FOR YOURSELF. You people crack me UP! UP! UP! :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

- Tommy

FV
10-09-2004, 01:18 PM
If you buy a CD, you can make as many copies for YOURSELF as you want.
False. Making as many copies as you want for yourself is ILLEGAL. Making some copies of the CD for personal use is tolerated by the RIAA, but strongly advised against, for violaton of copyrights. The amount of copies made is the issue at the moment. I would recommend that you check once again the Code of Conduct we have on this messageboard, because we do not support in any way violation of copyrights.

muzikguy94
10-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by FV
False. Making as many copies as you want for yourself is ILLEGAL. Making some copies of the CD for personal use is tolerated by the RIAA, but strongly advised against, for violaton of copyrights. The amount of copies made is the issue at the moment. I would recommend that you check once again the Code of Conduct we have on this messageboard, because we do not support in any way violation of copyrights.
Ok, then make 10 copies for yourself. That would be some copies. Still no reason to buy 10.

- Tommy

cbspock
10-09-2004, 01:34 PM
You guys are unreal! Why would someone BLOW MONEY and buy 5 - 10 copies for YOURSELF??? Making copies for YOURSELF is not called being cheap, it's called being logical. If you buy a CD, you can make as many copies for YOURSELF as you want. Don't give me that "it hurts album sales" stuff. IN NO WAY IS IT ILLEGAL TO MAKE COPIES FOR YOURSELF. You people crack me UP! UP! UP! :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

- Tommy

You can make a copy for personal use, the same applies to software. You can make a copy for back up purposes.

Fair Use Doctrine {USC Title 17, Sec 107} The "fair use doctrine" of federal law is a complicated area. Basically, it limits the extent of property interest granted to the copyright holder. For example, this might allow citizens to cite a quotation from copyrighted material when the excerpt is used for teaching, research, news reporting, comment, criticism or parody.

There are some limitations. Whether the court allows you to reproduce, distribute, adapt, display and/or perform copyrighted works depends upon the nature of the use (commercial purposes, non-profit, educational), the length of the excerpt, how distinctive the original work is, and how the use will impact the market for the original work.

Generally speaking, one is not allowed to take the "value" of a song without permission, and sometimes that value is found even in a three-second clip. When in doubt, it is always wise to check with the copyright owner, because in many cases even a small clip of a song may not be "fair use."

The Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 (AHRA) This 1992 legislation exempts consumers from lawsuits for copyright violations when they record music for private, noncommercial use; eases access to advanced digital audio recording technologies; provides for the payment of modest royalties to songwriters and recording artists and companies; and mandates the inclusion of serial copying management technology in all consumer digital audio recorders to limit multi-generation audio copying (i.e., making copies of copies).

In general, the AHRA covers devices that are designed or marketed for the primary purpose of making digital musical recordings. Digital audio cassette players, minidisc players, and DAT players are devices covered by the AHRA. This law will also apply to all future digital audio recording technologies, so Congress will not be forced to revisit the issue as each new product becomes available.

----------------

and for those interested..here is the history of "Copyrighting"....

Brief History on Copyright Laws

Copyright law all started with the "The Statute of Anne," the world’s first copyright law passed by the British Parliament in 1709. Yet the principle of protecting the rights of artists predates this. It may sound like dry history at first blush, but since there was precedent to establish and rights to protect, much time, effort, and money has been spent in legal battles over the centuries.

In the United States, the principle took hold during the Constitutional Convention of 1787 when James Madison suggested that the Constitution include language "to secure to literary authors their copyrights for a limited time." The provision passed unanimously. It is found in Article I, Section 8, of the U.S. Constitution. It states…

The Congress shall have Power . . . To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries . . .

Before free speech, before freedom of assembly, before freedom of religion, there was copyright protection in our Constitution. The founding fathers knew copyright protection could improve society by preserving the economic incentive for people to come up with brilliant ideas and inventions. They also realized the fundamental fairness of granting control of the creative work to the author.

President George Washington signed the first copyright law on May 31, 1790. Nine days later, author John Barry registered his work, The Philadelphia Spelling Book, in the U.S. District Court of Pennsylvania, making it the first "writing" protected by copyright. Since then, the copyright laws have been revised numerous times. The revisions have been aimed at balancing the author’s right to reap the benefits of his or her work, and society’s ability to benefit from that same work.

Today, in the recording industry, singers Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Sheryl Crow, Don Henley, Bonnie Raitt, and many others, are fighting for their rights. In the music business, stars are made not born, and it takes plenty of hard work to make it. Poe cut her debut album, "Hello," in 1995. She knows the value of a copyright, "Copyright protects the creative process….It’s rough out there….There is nothing more inspiring to creativity than independence and that requires protection. If you’re an artist that can do something nobody else can, you need to know that your work will not be diluted or mass produced." It’s as simple as that.

The principle that work one creates belongs to the creator and should be controlled by the creator is as timeless as it is global. Likewise, for centuries, new inventions, from the printing press to the Internet, have threatened that principle. For centuries, advocates have resolutely defended it. The RIAA is just such an advocate today.

The Recording Industry Association of America is the trade group that represents the companies and people making creative works in the recording industry. The RIAA works to protect intellectual property rights worldwide and the First Amendment rights of artists.

http://www.riaa.com/issues/copyright/laws.asp
-----------------

Did you know that there are fees charged on blank CDs and DVDs because of the RIAA, and Hollywood.

-Chris

FV
10-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Ok, then make 10 copies for yourself. That would be some copies. Still no reason to buy 10.
The RIAA is the only one who can decide legally how many copies that some means....an individual cannot decide that...the legal issue at the moment is how many copies a consumer can make for his/her own personal use...the emphasis is on "fair" number of copies...no agreement on that at the moment...which legally speaking puts anyone who makes copies of a CD for personal use in legal troubles....it is important to read the copyrights info on the CDs you buy..in the US it says clearly no unauthorized copying or reproduction allowed, that legally covers also copies for personal use....
If you want to buy CDs at cheaper prices, Ebay is an option (as long it is the resale of an authentic CD), definitively legally acceptable, whereas making copies for yourself can put the consumer in legal troubles.

cbspock
10-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by FV
The RIAA is the only one who can decide legally how many copies that some means....an individual cannot decide that...the legal issue at the moment is how many copies a consumer can make for his/her own personal use...the emphasis is on "fair" number of copies...no agreement on that at the moment...which legally speaking puts anyone who makes copies of a CD for personal use in legal troubles....it is important to read the copyrights info on the CDs you buy..in the US it says clearly no unauthorized copying or reproduction allowed, that legally covers also copies for personal use....
If you want to buy CDs at cheaper prices, Ebay is an option (as long it is the resale of an authentic CD), definitively legally acceptable, whereas making copies for yourself can put the consumer in legal troubles.

Under "fair use" they usually site "a copy", especially with computer software.

-Chris

muzikguy94
10-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by FV
This has nothing to do about money. I can easily buy 5, 10, 20 copies. It has to do with people doing as they wish in the privacy of their home for private use. I can give you an example of a "law" in many states which millions of people break every day in the privacy of their home if you wish.

- Tommy

FV
10-09-2004, 01:47 PM
It has to do with people doing as they wish in the privacy of their home for private use.
Law still applies..;) and I think those people who ended up in court because sued by the RIAA have realized that...

FV
10-09-2004, 01:51 PM
I can give you an example of a "law" in many states which millions of people break every day in the privacy of their home if you wish.
I am sure there are cases like that...what I am concerned about is the full respect of the law, including when it applies to copyrights protection, on this messageboard. We fully respect copyrights protection, as stated by the law, and we do not support any violation of that. We ask the same from the messageboard users when they make posts here.

muzikguy94
10-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by FV
Law still applies..;) and I think those people who ended up in court because sued by the RIAA have realized that...
People have not ended up in court for making copies for themselves. They ended up in court for making and selling CDs to others.

- Tommy

Sheri
10-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Do not laugh at or belittle members on this board (and I'll go ahead and include myself) for respecting the law. It not only violates the copyright issues mentioned several times above, it also violates the Code of Conduct regarding the respect we show not only other artists, but the members of this board as well.

I agree, Debbie. Shania has never cheated me - not in her CD's, not in concert. I won't cheat her.

cbspock
10-09-2004, 07:48 PM
People have not ended up in court for making copies for themselves. They ended up in court for making and selling CDs to others.

- Tommy

They have wound up in court for illegally downloading songs as well.

-Chris

muzikguy94
10-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Do not laugh at or belittle members on this board (and I'll go ahead and include myself) for respecting the law. It not only violates the copyright issues mentioned several times above, it also violates the Code of Conduct regarding the respect we show not only other artists, but the members of this board as well.

I agree, Debbie. Shania has never cheated me - not in her CD's, not in concert. I won't cheat her.
If members want to call me cheap (which I am not), I'll fire back and belittle them as well. If you call laughing "belittling". I'd say calling someone "cheap" is much more belittling than just "laughing."

- Tommy

Sheri
10-09-2004, 08:27 PM
If you want to get technical, your laughing and the term "absurd" were introduced before any mention of "cheap". Cheap was not specifically addressed about you. It was addressed about all who would follow the illegal practice of copyright violation.

muzikguy94
10-09-2004, 08:33 PM
If you want to get technical, your laughing and the term "absurd" were introduced before any mention of "cheap". Cheap was not specifically addressed about you. It was addressed about all who would follow the illegal practice of copyright violation.
And if you want to get technical, go back and read my "absurd" post. That was not specifically addressed to anyone either. Better yet, I'll post it for you and everyone else. :)
I'm betting Britney is #1 and Shania #2 the first week. I'll be buying both and ONLY ONE copy of each. If I want a CD for home, car or where ever, I'll just make copies. Blowing money on 5, 6, 10... copies is absurd just to get Shania to #1.

- Tommy
And by the way, that was my FIRST post of this thread. No laughing involved. Hmmm? :?? :?? :??

Sheri
10-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Very true!! That was several posts later - still before any reference to cheap. But this is all minutia. The point still stands. No copyright violations. No bashing - other artists or board members. That goes for all.

muzikguy94
10-09-2004, 09:06 PM
The first time I laughed was when I said the following because it's a true statement. How is that directed to a specific member?
Oh, come on! It's not illegal to make copies for yourself. :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

- Tommy
Then the following post included the "cheap" comment which I then replied with another laughing post.
Originally posted by Debbie
Man! Sheri I'm with you!!! I want one for my car, one for my husband's car and one for in my home. The other two that I will BUY will be for gifts! I will BUY my copies because it is the right thing to do. Shania never gives her fans her music the cheap way (example: she and Mutt fill a cd with music) and in return I will not be cheap back. Like I said it is the RIGHT thing to do! It amazes me that the same people who say one album did not sell as well as another one are the same people who are so cheap that they copy music - which is exactly why album sales in the 1990's can't be compaired with album sales now. Add up all the copied albums with the actual sales and then the present 'sales' would be more compatable with sales in the past. JMO but at least when I lay my head on my pillow at night I KNOW that I will have done the RIGHT thing.:)

- Tommy

Sheri
10-09-2004, 09:32 PM
You proved my point there, but I realize you're not seeing it that way, so I'm going to end it now.

muzikguy94
10-09-2004, 10:19 PM
You proved my point there, but I realize you're not seeing it that way, so I'm going to end it now.
How did I prove your point? The point I made is that I wasn't directly belittling, laughing at anyone as you say I did. I was just laughing over this whole making copies for yourself non-issue. Because as I said, people don't end up in court for making copies for themselves. It's only when they make (actually sell) copies to others.

- Tommy

FV
10-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Thread now closed, since original topic there got lost here....:rolleyes: