PDA

View Full Version : New Canadian Charts, Shania #2!

Jud
12-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Okey, U2 not only took the top position, but also made the highest frist week sales of the year, outselling Shania's earlier record with a little.
But Shania took back the #2 position from Eminem, selling: 51,482 , probably her album is close to selling already 200k in Canada. (2xPlatinum)

U2's 'Bomb' explodes on the charts

By ADAM SWIMMER
JAM! Showbiz
U2 launched to the top of the Canadian album charts this week with their long-awaited new effort, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb."

The No. 1 album marks a triumph for the Irish rockers in Canada. With 94,700 copies sold, "How To Dismantle..." achieved the best first-week sales this year to date, having surpassing Shania Twain's "Greatest Hits" opening numbers (92,000) from two weeks ago, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The sales also make it the best first-week sales for any U2 release in this country. Their previous effort, "All That You Can't Leave Behind," sold 71,470 copies in its first week.

The story was the same south of the border, where "How To Dismantle..." debuted at No. 1, selling 840,000 U.S. copies, according to Billboard.com. It easily surpassed "All That You..." which debuted there at No. 3 in 2000, selling 428,000 copies.

Back in Canada, Twain continued her chart battle with Eminem, claiming the No. 2 spot with 51,482 copies sold. Eminem's "Encore" fell to No. 3, with 40,922 copies.

Canadian Idol Star Kalan Porter led the rest of the debut albums. His "219 Days" clocked in at No. 4 over both Cowboys Fringants' "La Grande Messe" (No. 5) and Gwen Stefani's first solo effort, "Love. Angel. Music. Baby." (No. 6).

The music compilation "MuchDance 2005" fell down three rungs to No. 7, Hilary Duff's self-titled album slipped one notch to No. 8, and Rod Stewart's "Stardust... Great American Songbook: Volume III" dropped four to No. 9.

Nirvana's "With The Lights Out" debuted at No. 10, making it the best first-week sales for a box set in the SoundScan era.

Other notable debuts included Gregory Charles' "Gospel Live en Noir et Blanc" at No. 15, Evanescence's "Anywhere But Home" at No. 16, Creed's "Greatest Hits" at No. 25, Warner Music's compilation "Women And Song 8" at No. 28 and American Idol star Fantasia's "Free Yourself" at No. 50.

In the U.S., Eminem is still winning the rap/country battle with "Encore" taking the No. 2 while Twain's "Greatest Hits" clocks in at No. 3. Destiny's Child's captured the fourth spot, followed by Toby Keith in fifth.
http://www.canoe.com/MusicArtistsU2/dec1_chartstory-can.html

GetchaGood
12-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Holding up well and selling great!

Thanks for the update. :)

FV
12-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Let's keep it UP there till Xmas....:BL

Shaniafan2000
12-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Cool news! If there's anyone that I'd be okay with being ahead of Shania, it's U2, don't get me wrong I wish she was number 1 instead, but I'm glad she made it ahead of Eminem, woo...:BL . Keep the sales, Up! Up! Up! :BL :)

Steve F
12-06-2004, 11:54 AM
"Keep it kickin' Shania!HEY1

Steve