PDA

View Full Version : New Tim Hortons arriving in Timmins

byrdman
11-26-2001, 07:08 AM
From the Timmins Daily Press:

Timmins will get its seventh Tim Hortons location next month.
The Timmins and District Hospital is currently renovating its coffee shop and will start serving Tim Hortons coffee in December. The official opening of the Tim Hortons outlet is planned for Dec. 17. The coffee shop will not be a full service Tim Hortons outlet, but will serve coffee and baked goods such as donuts and muffins.

For the full article, go the their Web site.

I know that when we visited my father-in-law in a hospital in Philadelphia earlier this year, there was a Krispy Kreme section in their cafeteria.

Al

Roger
11-26-2001, 10:08 AM
Thanx, Al. I'm sure Doc will make a comment about the quality of TH coffee and how the hospital must be trying to drum up business for itself!...LOL (There! Beat you to it, Doc!).

Sadly, the quality of TH coffee and food is somewhat variable from one outlet to another. I always pick up coffee and doughnuts when I'm on my way to visit my mum in the nursing home. I had to stop going to the one closest to her home because they were slow, kept getting the order mixed up, and served coffee which had been standing too long. Now I go to another which is everything TH is supposed to be.

BTW in Timmins we were unimpressed by either of the TH we tried. At both places they forgot their motto "Always fresh".

What is really remarkable is the blanket coverage by TH. What's the next step after the hospital - the funeral home?...LOL

Roger

FV
11-26-2001, 11:19 AM
Donuts and coffe: the winning combination! :D

Steve F
11-26-2001, 02:16 PM
So far all the THs in Maine have been very good. They are still small here compared to Dunkin' Donuts, but if Dunkin's doesn't wake up and start offering more than literally just donuts, bagels and breakfast sandwiches and sickly milk/coffee shakes, they will steadily lose business to TH. I am not aware of any KKs here yet, but there could be. I understand they are moving into New England shortly if they haven't already.

Steve

Roger
11-27-2001, 09:57 AM
Steve, maybe Dunkin' Donuts haven't realized yet that Tim Hortons is a juggernaut. In Ontario it has rolled over all the competition. There are not too many Dunkin' Donuts left. In Ottawa for example, there are 59 Tim Hortons but only 5 Dunkin' Donuts.

Roger

byrdman
11-27-2001, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure if this item was posted before, but I was checking the Krispy Kreme Web site, and found that the first Canadian store will be opening soon in Ontario. :)

Krispy Kreme Stores Coming to Canada!
December 11, 2001 - We found a great location for our HOT doughnuts! Krispy Kreme is happy to announce that our first store in Canada will be located in the Heartland Town Centre of Mississauga at the northwest corner of Mavis Road and Plymouth (one block south of Britannia West). Our HOT Doughnuts Now! sign will officially be turned on at 5:30am Tuesday, December 11, 2001. We are very excited to be opening our first Canadian and first international location in Mississauga, Ontario. Hope to see you there!

The city appears to be east of Hamilton.

Al

FV
11-27-2001, 12:37 PM
We gotta go visit that new Krispy Kreme Store! :) I am sure Shania will show up to taste the donuts.. :D LOL

Steve F
11-27-2001, 12:43 PM
Roger may have something. This morning I was talking to my dental hygienist. I had told her back in May at my last visit that I was going to Timmins. She thought that was neat. So today I filled her in on the trip. As we were talking I mentioned all the Tim Hortons I'd been to in Ontario and she cut in and said she had been to one in Portland and loved the menu. Then she said Dunkin' Donuts should wake up and smell the coffee, or the menu and get with it, is how she put it. She is also a fair to good Shania fan as is my dentist. Once when I was in the chair, I asked him how his daughter Shanna was doing. Only without thinking, I asked him how Shania was doing. He said Shania is doing great, selling lots of CDs. She's great and I like her a lot; and just for the record Shanna is also doing well in school and will be joining my practice when she is done. then we both had a good laugh.

It was a good day. I also managed to get my flu shot later at my doctor's office. I dropped by to make an appointment, but they took me right in on the spot. So I guess I'm set for Winter. I saw it was only 16F in Timmins at 11:00 a.m. this morning. :)

Steve

Bob
11-27-2001, 06:09 PM
There's a Dunkin Donuts on the west end of my town where I used to live, and I thought I saw an article in the paper that the owner there started the chain. Could be wrong.

Anyway, that place was fairly good 15 yrs ago, all the police took their breaks there. But the place on my end of town where I live now is a dead beat. I sometimes stop in only for gas for my car, because my usual station across the street is closed. And I have to wait in a group just to get up to the counter and spend 15 seconds to pay for gas. The other people are all ordering donuts, coffee, buying paper or convenience store items and are VERY slow. It's pathetic.

As for Krispy Kremes, they're getting closer. I think there's one in Detroit area and another in Grand Rapids. I'm about 80 miles from either one, and right in between. Won't be long now. Maybe by the time I retire in Sept, I won't have to be in tip top shape mentally every day, and can pig out, and go to my grave with a sudden stroke (and a sugar smile on my face).

Bob

FV
12-19-2001, 09:44 AM
It seems that Roger has influence for what concerns Tim Horton's decisions.. :D http://www.timminspress.com/timminspress/NEWS/1218-1.htm
Tim Hortons moves to new, improved
There will be the same familiar faces in bright new surroundings at, the newest Tim Hortons in Timmins.

The new location on Algonquin Boulevard, just west of the old one,opened Monday morning with staff and customers moving over as the old store closed soon after opening.

"It's wonderful to have such excellent staff come over from the other location," said Mike Lahaie, co-owner with wife Linda. "It helps make a smooth transition."

Windows on three sides, a higher ceiling and seating areas divided by planters, give the store a bright, spacious feel.

It also has a drive-through which the old location lacked. Starting in a brand new store is "very exciting and demanding, but
support from head office is tremendous," one of the reasons the couple chose the franchise said Lahaie.

A team will stay with the couple for its first week, ensuring the famous across-Canada consistency of their product.
"That consistency is what makes Tim Hortons so successful," said Lahaie. Across Canada, Tim's coffee is thrown out 20 minutes after it's brewed, to guarantee freshness. As well, Lahaie added, new products are well tested before they're added to the menu.

"We hope everyone in the neighbourhood will take the time to drop by," said Lahaie. "This new store is so much brighter and more comfortable for our customers and the layout makes it easier for our staff to offer even better service."
The store is the fulfillment of a long held goal for the Lahaies. Opening a franchise is something the couple has talked about for a
couple of years.

"We both have a business background and thought we'd enjoy working together," said Lahaie. Of all the franchises they investigated, Tim Hortons stood out as one
of the best in the fast food business.
The first store opened in 1964 in Hamilton, selling only coffee and donuts. In response to customer requests and feedback, the menu has expanded to include bagels, soups, sandwiches and Iced Cappuccinos.

Tim Horton's is now Canada's largest coffee and fresh baked goods chain, with more than 1,900 locations across Canada and more than 130 in the United States.

There are currently five Tim Hortons in Timmins, including the recently opened kiosk in the Timmins and District Hospital.

Roger
12-19-2001, 11:17 AM
Alright! Next time we're up there, I'll make sure to try this one out. As someone who frequents TH 3 times a week and has been to TH all over Ontario, I think I'm qualified to judge them. The quality of TH DOES vary from one location to another. I think TH should pay me for being incognito quality control!!LOL

Roger

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

Steve F
12-19-2001, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Roger:
<STRONG>Alright! Next time we're up there, I'll make sure to try this one out. As someone who frequents TH 3 times a week and has been to TH all over Ontario, I think I'm qualified to judge them. The quality of TH DOES vary from one location to another. I think TH should pay me for being incognito quality control!!LOL

Roger, is that one replacing the one you and I and Terry stopped at when we arrived in Timmins that first day?

Steve

Roger

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Roger ]</STRONG>

Roger
12-19-2001, 12:46 PM
Steve, I think so. Isn't that where Shania once worked?

Roger