PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up for Shania Centre

cbspock
01-16-2002, 06:59 AM
http://www.timminspress.com/timminspress/NEWS/0116-3.htm

Financial forecasts rosey for Shania Twain Centre and Gold Mine Tour
Financial forecasts for the tourism jewels of Timmins, the Shania Twain Centre and the Underground Gold Mine Tour, are radiating a healthy glow.

The Board of Directors for both sites are predicting a financial turnaround for the sites which, in 2001, experienced a net loss of $241,360. To do this, however, they need extra funding.

Anita Damini, vice chair of the Board, told Timmins City Council during Monday night's meeting they need $117,000 in support, up substantially from last year's $48,000.

"In order to achieve the goals discussed in this plan, the attractions will have to increase both the scope and level of service and their marketing efforts," Damini said. "The result will be an increase in the operating costs for both attractions."

Damini said in an effort to increase the visibility of both sites, as well as ensure an increase in traffic, their business plan focuses on attracting both local visitors and tourists.

"The increased number of visitations to both attractions will allow the Gold Mine Tour and the Shania Twain Centre a projected surplus of $18,350 in 2002 to $19,263 in 2006," she said. "These projections include repayment of the outstanding debt incurred by the attractions during the recent renovations and construction."

The plan forecasts a steady increase in tour ticket sales. About 12,275 tickets were sold last year, while 16,000 are expected to be sold this year and 24,050 in 2006.

Coun. Tom Laughren said the projected numbers may be too high.

"With the effect of Sept. 11 on the tourism industry, are your numbers realistic?"

Damini explained the numbers of visitors were actually a conservative estimate based on the increase in numbers in 2001.

Jack Watson, city clerk, added that if Shania Twain should visit her hometown in the next year or two, the numbers would rise even higher. He added their prices were competitive with other operations.

"I challenge you to go anywhere else and get a better deal."

Laughren also expressed concern that future improvements and maintenance costs may play havoc with the cheery financial forecast.

Will Saari of Tourism Timmins, put those worries to rest, however. He said improvements and costs of exhibit maintenance were all taken into account when developing the plan.

"There was $25,000 allotted in 2002 for such costs and $45,000 by year five."

Coun. Dennis Welin said the Board should explore partnerships to create comprehensive tour packages to keep people coming back year after year.

This too is in the works. Saari said partnerships are being discussed with local parties as well as neighbouring communities.

----------------------

One Year Ago Even the federal government likes Shania, as evidenced by the Human Resources Development Canada announcement which granted Timmins $450,000 to help in its efforts to build the $6 million Shania Twain Centre. The facility was built on schedule and finished in time for the July 1 opening.

mrrex
01-16-2002, 12:42 PM
Unfortunately CB I have recently been to the centre for the first time and if there were not the video I would have felt even more ripped off. I spent 1 day at the museum of civilization in Ottawa and it cost me less than the admission to the STC. I spent about 25 minutes at the STC.

The original plans called for 11,000 square feet of exhibition space, not a 10,000 square foot lobby.
The exhibits were small and at best dismal, it looked to me like it could have easily been done in a downtown window (Buckovetsky's). Just so you know the frame of Longshot photos was put together by me and given to Shania when she came to town. It is as she received it, no enhancements-nothing. We were approached by the museum to donate our band jackets and banner,but we refused when we were told that they would have to become the property of the museum---they would not accept them on loan.

The drum kit and guitars are so out of place as is the new 1 octave homemade pipe organ. (if you haven't seen it it is made of plywood and the keys are three time normal size. It is also 10 feet high, how this relates to Shania I don't know)

There should have been a karaoke type affair, play along with Shania on her hits or something about sound recording.

All the awards were impressive, but who did she beat? Why were there not videos of her accepting the awards at the shows she did attend. Why were there no photos of Video shoots, behind the scenes? She is more of a video artist than a touring artist after all.

Where were the drafts of songs, demos, she is a songwriter.

A high point is the video. I thought it was well done using footage from VH1 and other interviews, although the quality of the presentation left a lot to be desired.
Shania deserved much better than she got, I am sure her opinion will concur with mine. they really dropped the ball on this one.

The truth be told most of us locals see this as a big white elephant that will haunt us at tax time. Timmins is too far removed form the flow of traffic in Northern Ontario and our weather is too unpredictable to promote tourism. There is nothing to see here.

In her words.....That don't impress me much.

FV
01-17-2002, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by mrrex
Timmins is too far removed form the flow of traffic in Northern Ontario and our weather is too unpredictable to promote tourism. There is nothing to see here.
I am not from Timmins, and as a tourist I have to disagree that there is nothing to see there...I came only to visit the Centre, but I did much more than that while in Timmins...For instance, I visited the Underground Gold Mine and I did not have time to visit the places around in the area...the lakes and more..As a tourist I think Timmins is a great place to go to in the summer, in the winter it is more difficult to get people to go due to the weather..but you can always ski and snowmobile...
I really liked what I saw..and as a matter of fact, I will be back this summer, although I do not live in Canada..I liked the people I met and enjoyed the time spent there...I have recommended Timmins to family and friends for future vacations...
So as a tourist, it seems I see more than a Timmins resident..

cbspock
01-17-2002, 07:37 AM
from the daily press.......
http://www.timminspress.com/timminspress/NEWS/0117-6.htm

Figures scaled down for Shania centre, board remaining optimistic about future
Even though the number of visitors to the Shania Twain Centre and Timmins Gold Mine Tour did not meet projected expectations for 2001, the attraction's board members expect to see an increase this year.

The board has presented a five-year business plan to members of council.

The plan features conservative estimates about the number of visitors to attend the centre by 2006 and the plan to overcome a $241,360 deficit.

The report revealed 12,275 people purchased tickets for the centre and Gold Mine Tour as of Dec. 10. About 30,000 visitors were expected to attend the centre in its first full year of operation and by the third year, the number of visitors was expected to be about 50,000, according to city officials.

"The numbers originally indicated in some of those reports were from consultants that have dealt with other tourism facilities," said Anita Damini, vice-chairwoman of the board of directors of the Shania Twain Centre. "These consultants may know their stuff but we found that really optimistic.

"We think the numbers we're using (now) are a lot more conservative but a lot more realistic as well. We didn't want to shoot high expecting certain numbers and the revenue that comes from those numbers."

The five-year forecast for the Timmins Gold Mine Tour and Shania Twain Centre calls for 16,000 visitors in 2002; 20,250 in 2003; 21,600 in 2004; 23,200 in 2005 and 24,050 visitors in 2006.

"We're trying to be as realistic as possible and use attainable numbers," said Jack Watson, director of tourism for the City of Timmins.

Watson had expected about 16,000 to visit the centre by Dec. 31, 2001.

"I really felt we could meet the 16,000," Watson said. "If you don't reach your target, obviously you're disappointed. But I understand why we didn't meet our goals."

The estimates were prepared and made in a buoyant economy, he said.

"The economic downturn has impacted tourism across the country," Watson said.

That combined with the events of Sept. 11 have weakened tourism worldwide, Damini said.

"People are looking at staying closer to home for travelling," she said.

With that in mind, the board is looking at marketing the centre to attract more local, regional and national visitors.

"We want to make sure the Gold Mine Tour and Shania Twain Centre become part of an important package," Damini said. "A traveller might come for one attraction in North Bay, come to Cochrane for the Polar Bear Express and come to Timmins for the Shania Twain Centre and then on to Sudbury for one of their attractions. It becomes a really good circle package."

Damini said the board is looking for marketing partners but it takes money.

"It's a very competitive world," Damini said. "To get public exposure, it costs dollars."

However, when the Gold Mine Tour and Shania Twain Centre draw visitors to the city, there are direct spinoffs to the community.

"By marketing the Shania Twain Centre and Gold Mine Tour, we're actually marketing our whole community," Damini said.

-----------------------------------------------

I agree with you FV!!!! I do however see some of what Mrrex is saying. We have a marine muesuem in our town, since Sayville used to be a fishing village, and I can tell ya, we would always go there for field trips and stuff, I got so sick of it, However, the place has been in business for as long as I remember. Every summer they have festivals and that kinda stuff, and the town is a big tourist attraction in the Summer. Yes, Sayville is closer to other towns than Timmins is. However, due to air travel, Timmins is only about 4 hours away from Long Island. So, even though Timmins is at the edge of the frontier people can still get there.

Now, of course most of us would not know Timmins from a hole in the wall if it wasn't for the fact that Shania was from there. Timmins wanting to diversify its economy, wanted to get tourists to go there, so Shania let them use her name to attract people there, she even donated over a million dollars worth of her stuff. Now it is up to the people running the center, and the city council to make Timmins a place people want to go to. The STC and the gold mine, have gotten Timmins foot in the door in attracting tourists. I know I'm planning on going back sometime this summer.

-Chris

Steve F
01-17-2002, 11:48 AM
There is a lot of truth to what you all are saying here. As I was watching "Driven" the other night, I kept thinking to myself, "who would ever believe a star of this significance and popularity would come from a place like Timmins. Totally unreal!

Steve

Steve F
01-17-2002, 11:54 AM
There is a lot of truth to what you all are saying here. As I was watching "Driven" the other night, I kept thinking to myself, "who would ever believe a star of this significance and popularity would come from a place like Timmins. Totally unreal!

Steve