PDA

View Full Version : A new format to replace cd?

Jud
03-19-2002, 11:16 PM
There is a new "combo" format, will be launched in the summer, to replace the audio-cd, and to stop piracy.

Will this format replace the CD?
By JAM! Music
Britney Spears, *NSync and R. Kelly have been selected as pioneer artists to help launch a new music format that the record industry hopes will replace the compact disc, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Zomba Records will be the first company to distribute their artists through the DataPlay digital media format. Universal, EMI, and BMG have plans to distribute their artists through the format as well, but haven't identified which artists will be available.

DataPlay discs are the size of a 50-cent piece and come coated in a translucent shell. The new format is alleged to be piracy-resistant, but allows consumers to make their own copies and compilations -- a key part of any successful new music format, the report said.

The discs come in two formats: double-sided 500 MB and single-sided 250 MB. The larger discs can hold 11 hours of compressed music files, or roughly the equivalent of five standard pre-recorded CDs. The players are due to go on the market this summer priced at the Canadian equivalent of between $440 and just over $700.

The Hollywood Reporter said blank discs will cost between $5 and $12, depending on the size. The discs can also store video, high-res photos, e-books, and video games.

DataPlay intends to roll out the new technology with a marketing blitz to launch June 11. The discs' multi-media capabilities could see music discs enhanced with videos, tour schedules, and other bonuses that would make them attractive when compared to illegally downloaded copies of albums.

The piracy protection means that only music encrypted so that they can't be copied or moved unless the content owner specifies it can be shared, The Hollywood Reporter said. (More on Britney Spears)

cbspock
03-19-2002, 11:23 PM
So they hold LESS than a CD that holds 640 or 700 MB, if you only use one side. So, do you have to flip it over like the old laser discs? In order for this format to make a dent in the CD / DVD market and for it to take off, it would have to work on a pc. I think the new format that will take off will be DVD audio, since a lot of people have DVD players already and they are standard on most computers. Also, any idea if the format has better sound quality than a CD? or is it degraded sound like an MP3 file?

Wing, what do you think?

-Chris

FV
03-20-2002, 05:19 AM
A new feature is also Jive Digital Musical Network...you can try it for Michael Bolton or Britney Spears..it allows the user to find links related to the artist including music downloads and fans communities...Here is the one for Bolton:
http://dmn.com/a/michael_bolton/win/#
It seems to be some sort of improved version of Launch...

Steve F
03-20-2002, 11:41 AM
I just read a similar article along these lines a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember where, but it seems it was in Consumer Reports. The article talked about what has been pointed out here, but it also added that soon, the format of audio CDs will no longer allow them to be playable on DVD players. I know they are trying to stop pirating, but it is sad to think that after I waited so long to have the best of both worlds, i.e., a DVD player, that is so great for CDs too, it may soon be obsolete.

Steve

Roger
03-20-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Steve F
. The article talked about what has been pointed out here, but it also added that soon, the format of audio CDs will no longer allow them to be playable on DVD players. I know they are trying to stop pirating, but it is sad to think that after I waited so long to have the best of both worlds, i.e., a DVD player, that is so great for CDs too, it may soon be obsolete.

Steve

What an excellent way to annoy and alienate those consumers who actually buy CDs, most of whom do not turn them into MP3s for file sharing!! And for what? How long do you think it will be before filesharers find a way around it?

Roger

cbspock
03-20-2002, 01:55 PM
Plus, the DVD standard, is also changing. I don't like MP3's becaue they sound like garbage on a real stereo, the Cda, and wav files sound much better since there is less compression.

DAT tapes never took off, because the RIAA killed it because of "pirating" issues.

Roger, I think the USA also has the same rule as canada, for "own use".

What is funny is the "unbreakable code" that protects DVDs from copying was broken in less than 72 hours by a teenager in Sweaden.

-Chris

AINAHS
03-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Roger

What an excellent way to annoy and alienate those consumers who actually buy CDs, most of whom do not turn them into MP3s for file sharing!! And for what? How long do you think it will be before filesharers find a way around it?

Roger It goes to show that the music industry does not care about the consumer ultimately but just their bottom lines.

What a surprise!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: