PDA

View Full Version : More Pictures from Timmins

tower
04-12-2002, 01:07 AM
Hello everyone,

My thanks to Debbie for sending me the enclosed photo, taken sometime 1996 or 1997.

It shows the Twains friend Paul Zudel dancing with Shania. Enjoy.

Tom Waller
MODU Britannia

tower
04-12-2002, 03:20 AM
Photo Pual Zudel, friend of the Twain's shown dancing with Shania. Thanks to Debbie in Timmins for the photo:

Enjoy.. Tom

DOC BILL
04-12-2002, 05:57 AM
That Paul's one lucky dog! DOC

cbspock
04-12-2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by DOC BILL
That Paul's one lucky dog! DOC

Ditto

-Chris

Twain Crazy
04-12-2002, 09:11 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to be that close to Shania OMG I would have a fit. Well ok I 'd need you guys there to hold me up if I got out of my wheelchair. Wait I might not see due to the tears in my eyes. Doc ya may have to give me something to keep me together. <jokes> :D
Take care and by the way great pic thanks to whomever shared it.
Twain Crazy!

FV
04-12-2002, 10:36 AM
Thanks again tower! :) That's the Shania that everyone knows in Timmins..a sweetheart! :) :D Really lucky that guy..! I wonder whether DOC would be able to dance that way with Shania without fainting...:p :BL

DOC BILL
04-12-2002, 08:47 PM
I know I wouldn't faint but I'm quite certain I'd be stepping alot on her toes and my ego! DOC

Bob
04-12-2002, 11:26 PM
The name Paul Zudel seems familiar. But I didn't remember it off hand. So I looked in Robin Eggar's index. It cites page 108. I looked there. It says that after Shania's parents were killed, and their tree planting contract automatically got passed to the next business, Shania closed their business out. Then Jill and Don Fraser went to Zudel's to see if anything was owed there. Paul Zudel said everything was all paid up. He also said that's one couple he'd have lent $50,000 to any time.

There are no other pages cited in the index for this name. However the above info does not answer my question of who Paul Zudel is. Poking thru the book, I found on page 61 that Jerry Twain had borrowed money for his tree planting business. So I wondered if Zudels was a banker. Nope. On page 64, I found the reason the name felt familiar. Zudels was a small convenience and grocery store at 49 Tisdale, just around the corner from the Twain home. I keep imagining this as Maridan's today, just up the street from the Twain home we saw when we visited; but I guess it's not.

Anyway, the story goes that the Twains contract didn't always provide money early enough to pay the workers. And they had a lot of native workers, who needed to buy groceries on credit with their expected paycheck from the Twain's as collateral. And this credit was set up at Zudel's. At times, the Twains owed more than $25,000 but they always paid up.

Beyond that, most of the natives didn't live in Timmins, some couldn't read or write, and didn't have an active bank account and necessary identification. So Eilleen would help represent them at the bank to teller Carole Kiraga on paydays to get their money and take care of matters at Zudel's with Pam Kardas, the bookkeeper there.

The workers were very grateful for this help. And tho the Twains themselves were poor, they were very honest.

I knew there was something about this I liked.

RJA

tower
04-15-2002, 05:04 AM
Hi Gang,

Thank you Bob for bringing everyone up to speed with Paul Zudel featured dancing with Shania in my original post.

With full permission I relay the email which followed the Photo

----------------------------- Relay Starts -----------------------------------

Hello Tom,

I have not spoken to you before but I am a friend of Deb Lemaire's in Timmins. We went for a walk and tea today and she returned to me a photo of my dad and Eileen Twain.

I didn't know she was going to post it but as it turns out my dad doesn't mind and he really got a kick out of the comments people were making about it...and trying to figure out who he was. It's hard to believe that someone from our humble town in Northern Ontario has gone on to such big things.

We are really proud of her. Timmins has actually produced a few notables. We are just a small isolated northern community and we are often the brunt of jokes from southern Ontario so Shania has done a lot for our collective self-esteem. Anyway...I'm glad you enjoyed the photo.

They actually weren't dancing just talking. We have another one where she is giving my dad a kiss. This is a cute story but my dad was naturally proud of Shania's rise, and would tuck the photos in his pocket when he went out to his Wednesday night bocce game at the Dante Club, or to Mason's to show the guys. Well my mother passed a message on to Shania recently through a friend who speaks with her regularly and told her that my father has probably made at least $5.00 on that photo by now and it is only right that they should pass on 50% of that to her. Well anyway I am glad you enjoyed the pic.

It's nice that you are coming to Timmins. I hope you are tough enough for the north. We have some mighty hungry blackflies that time of the year. (Deb would be mad at me for saying that)....OK we also have lovely lakes, trees and a variety of other wildlfe. It's basically a mining town. I may get to meet you when you come up. Enjoy the rest of your weekend....smooth water I hope.

Mary
------------------------------------- Relay Ends ------------------------------

Don't worry Mary, if you have found your way here to read your letter (above) We have things called Midgies in Northern Scotland that may well be as hungry for Tourist's flesh as the Blackflies of Northern Ontario!

If you look on a World Atlas you will see that Aberdeen is not that far south in relation to Timmins. Look forward to meeting you all and sharing the Timmins trip with the nice people on this BB.

Love to all,

Tom still all at sea on the MODU Britannia

But would be even more at sea if I met Shania ! I suspect I would be struck dumb...

Bob
04-15-2002, 05:19 AM
Hi Tom,

That's a lovely email. It really enriches our understanding and feelings about Timmins and the people there.

Paul Zudel's daughter, hey? I never thought anyone could be as well cared for and thrilled in Timmins as we were last summer. But sounds like they have great reserves of gold in their collective hearts. And they're picking up with you, right where they left off with us.

Congratulations. And thanks for sharing. Your revving up our excitometer again.

Bob

tower
04-15-2002, 07:02 AM
Yes Bob, and all

Working half the time offshore, I am no stranger to World Wide travel, and I can (hand on heart) say that the Welcome I have received, as a result of 1 simple enquiry to the Timmins Web site via Email has been the Warmest and most Friendly I have ever received in my entire life!

And where I come from that rates a Golly Gosh and at least a 10 on the Richter Scale. :D

I am going to be as high as a kite next trip and impossible to work with as I leave for Timmins that next shore leave. :JP

FV
04-15-2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by tower
They actually weren't dancing just talking. We have another one where she is giving my dad a kiss. This is a cute story but my dad was naturally proud of Shania's rise, and would tuck the photos in his pocket when he went out to his Wednesday night bocce game at the Dante Club, or to Mason's to show the guys.
Thank you for sharing your email with us Tom! We have found another Great Super Shania Fan..:) Paul and her daughter are great examples of all the wonderful people we have met in Timmins! :) Real Cool

cbspock
04-15-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by FV

Thank you for sharing your email with us Tom! We have found another Great Super Shania Fan..:) Paul and her daughter are great examples of all the wonderful people we have met in Timmins! :) Real Cool

Didn't we meet them when we were in Timmins?

-Chris

Bob
04-15-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by cbspock

Didn't we meet them when we were in Timmins?

-Chris

Collectively, we probably met quite a few Timmins people. But individually, we each probably met a limited number.

I've been sharing info about Timminites I've met, and am still working on that.

FV, Terry, Chris, Roger, Joni; what do you say we gather a little helpful research and develop a table for this website, of people we met in Timmins, so we can help each other fill in the matrix of our connections there. It would help us understand each other's experiences, and give us more useful knowledge about our group's resources. A roadmap to the people in Timmins with a heart of gold for travelors to their city.

We've already done part of that in some ways. We just haven't organized it into an easy to use interface, with potential for further development.

Basic elements for the rows and columns could include:

1) Name:
2) Role:
3) Where seen:
4) By whom:
5) When:
6) About what:
7) Their connection to Shania:
8) Their connection to other people we met:
9) Any unique connection they have to a STNAOFC member visiting Timmins:

An alternative approach could be for us to discretely invite our Timmins contacts to let us know the extent to which they are interested in meeting, helping, or welcoming members in good standing, from our organization. I know some people there who don't have time to get online very often. They're too busy working and on other priorities. But some of them have most definitely extended invitation for visit, contact, etc. One example will appear a bit later in the thread for Timmons Travelors 2001.

Would this be better done by survey and compilation, or by interactive table online that people could plug their info into?

Also, if someone in Timmins preferred privacy, we would need a way to accomodate that. Perhaps by abbreviating info on them, and referring any contacts through a representative member or someone else in Timmins.

RJA
-----------------
See the good that could exist, and remove the 'why not.'

Roger
04-15-2002, 08:25 PM
Bob, I don't know what anyone else thinks but I'm a little uneasy about developing a data base of people we met in Timmins. Now I'm sure there is no problem with people like Will and Mayor Lim because their work is public and they are known by the public anyway. But anything posted on our site is in fact very visible to the public yet some of the people who were so nice to us in Timmins were private citizens who may prefer not to have their names and more appear here.

How does anyone else feel?

Roger

cbspock
04-15-2002, 08:29 PM
I'm with you Roger.

-Chris

tower
04-16-2002, 03:53 AM
Dear All,

Good point Roger. Any post that I have made (including pictures) about Timmins people has been made with the full permission of the persons named. All private email addresses have also been removed before posting.

The only exception to this rule has been private postings to the Webmaster or moderator prior to public posting.

PS Paul Zudel was also Pall Bearer at the Twain's funeral.

On a happier note I rotate home to the NE of Scotland today for 2 weeks R and R, so next post will be from home or Office:)

So for the next 14 days it's over and out from the MODU Britannia..

Vivashania
04-16-2002, 04:07 AM
I'm with you Roger.

-Chris

Me, too. Very strongly.

FV
04-16-2002, 04:24 AM
Bob,
you always have great ideas:) ...I think it would be better, as the moderators have stated, to simply keep the discussion about the great residents of Timmins very informal, without going too much into details unless that person has agreed to first...Using first names only without referring to their private lives if they do not wish so...I know your suggestion was simply to help other fans who have not gone to Timmins to have clear ideas about whom we are talking about, but there is the privacy issue that has to be considered since we run a public board..:)

Tower,
Welcome back on the home ground! :D LOL Are you counting down the days to your Timmins Adventure? :)

tower
04-16-2002, 04:42 AM
Hi FV and everyone,

Yes less than 4 weeks to go now and next trip offshore will be my last before the mini holiday. I will be hyper on board until I get away.

As I have tried to share with you all, the welcome extended to me via email from the good people of Timmins has been overwhelming.

I am going to have to get used to the fact I am about to get spoiled to bits, ain't that a fact.

My Mother told me a long time ago, there would be days like that!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

FV
04-16-2002, 04:44 AM
I am going to have to get used to the fact I am about to get spoiled to bits, ain't that a fact.

My Mother told me a long time ago, there would be days like that!
:cool: :cool: :cool:
For sure! :D :JP

Bob
04-16-2002, 05:22 PM
Hello all here,

I share your concerns about privacy. In fact I'm the one who brought that up first.

Your caution shows good sensitivity to the privacy needs for Timmins residents, and good judgement about liability on this forum.

The challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to develop the benefits of networking, while innovatively figuring out how to avoid the risks.

Not only travelors to Timmins, but also Timmins residents can benefit from a solution to this. They've been asking publicly and privately what they can do to develop their community economically and in other ways, as the mining declines. We are in a unique position, to help them in their tourism, through our connections. Liaison activity need not all be public. It can be set up as a sliding scale, depending upon how much contact our Timmins contacts agree to.

As Shania has sometimes said: "I KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER!!"

I hope we don't let the opportunity pass and leave our personal social capital, and many creative talents, filed away in a box somewhere.

The presumption that persons in Timmins made friends with one or two of us, but have no interest in more of us, does not fit my experience. They are a very friendly and helpful people. And they are probably LESS fragile than we, not more. They're a community of rugged, hardy survivors.

We could invite our Timmins contacts to let us know the extent to which they are interested in communicating, meeting, helping, or welcoming members in good standing, from our organization. I know some people there who don't have time to get online very often. They're too busy working and on other priorities. But they have most definitely extended invitation for visit, contact, etc. One example will appear a bit later in the thread for Timmons Travelors 2001.

Bob

ladytech
04-18-2002, 05:36 PM
Hello all. I'm the Teri that Tom has mentioned in some of his posts. He emailed me the link to these pages so I could take a look at them. I have noticed this discussion about a list of contacts (Timmins residents) and privacy issues etc.

First off, after going through this site I have recognized a few of you from last summer. I own Timminsweb a computer store and internet cafe and several of you were in my establishment to post pictures etc online of the opening among other things. Anyways it's nice to be able to put names to some of the faces that I have recognized.

Secondly, consider myself a contact. I have tried to help Tom with some of his travel arrangements as well as hopefully giving him a warm welcome. I am also willing to help others of you who may be considering a trip to Timmins. Please do stop by Timminsweb if you are in Timmins and say hello. I'm not trying to get you to use my machines or anything I just really enjoy meeting people from all over the world which is something I actually get to do quite a bit in my line of business without ever having to leave home. If you do drop by please bring me a postcard from your home town. I like pinning them up on our bulletin board for others to see.

Thirdly, I do not know Shania personally. I figured I'd state that right off before anyone asked.

Anyways the point of this post was to introduce myself and offer my help to anyone who may need it.

Nice to meet you all.

Teri

cbspock
04-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Hi Terri!!! Welcome to the board.

Some of us may be in Timmins for Fan Fest this year, so you might see us again.

-Chris

Bryce
04-18-2002, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the Board Teri. I'm planning on returning to Timmins this summer for FanFest. Where abouts is your business located? I'll try and stop by.:)

Bryce

Bob
04-18-2002, 06:02 PM
Hello Teri,

I can't describe how happy I am to see your post.

Thanks for helping Tom.

Thanks for offering connectedness to Timmins for Shania Fans here.

When I was in Timmins last summer, I thought to myself: "How cool that Timmins has a Cybernet Cafe!" We don't have one anywhere near where I live, and it's a pretty good sized population, several times bigger than Timmins.

I know there are others in Timmins who are interested in being in contact with responsible ST fans who visit Timmins, and I will be posting related info about that in the thread for "Timmins Travelors 2001."

:) :D
Bob

Bob
04-18-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Bryce
Welcome to the Board Terri. I'm planning on returning to Timmins this summer for FanFest. Where abouts is your business located? I'll try and stop by.:)

Bryce

Bryce,

I'll let Teri give the full directions. But I know her Cybernet Cafe is on 3rd street. We walked right by it on our downtown walking tour in the snow flurries on that mid-summer's day. Remember when we were looking at all the Shania pictures in a walk through window display on the south side of the street? It was across the street from there, and a block or two west I think. Perhaps not far from where Warrior ran all the cars off the road to get to Shania's high school graduation photo enlargement in a display window on the north side of the street.

Bryce
04-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Bob

Bryce,

I'll let Teri give the full directions. But I know her Cybernet Cafe is on 3rd street. We walked right by it on our downtown walking tour in the snow flurries on that mid-summer's day. Remember when we were looking at all the Shania pictures in a walk through window display on the south side of the street? It was across the street from there, and a block or two west I think. Perhaps not far from where Warrior ran all the cars off the road to get to Shania's high school graduation photo enlargement in a display window on the north side of the street.

Thanks Bob. I know the area you are talking about.:)

Bryce

cbspock
04-18-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Bob

Bryce,

Yeah, it was around there.

-Chris

tower
04-19-2002, 01:02 AM
Hi Teri (LadyTech),

Nice Handle, very pleased to see you posting here, would be nice if the rest of the Timmins gang I am in contact with could join us and share the fun and the warm welcome you have extended to myself with the rest of the group.

Counting the days,,,, :JP :JP :dancing :HG

Sorry was that a bit "loud". Well it is how I feel!

Tom, back home in Fyvie, Nr. Aberdeen, Scotland.

FV
04-19-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by ladytech
Secondly, consider myself a contact. I have tried to help Tom with some of his travel arrangements as well as hopefully giving him a warm welcome. I am also willing to help others of you who may be considering a trip to Timmins. Please do stop by Timminsweb if you are in Timmins and say hello. I'm not trying to get you to use my machines or anything I just really enjoy meeting people from all over the world which is something I actually get to do quite a bit in my line of business without ever having to leave home. If you do drop by please bring me a postcard from your home town. I like pinning them up on our bulletin board for others to see.
Hello Teri! Welcome to the board!HI! I think we actually got to talk last year when I was in Timmins for the opening of the Centre..I was there at TimminsWeb quite a few times to post the pictures we had..:) I will be there again for FanFest this year..and it's funny that you post on the board now because last week I was thinking about emailing TimminsWeb to ask whether you'll be open during FanFest because I will be needing your puters..LOL :BL Anyways, I will stop by for sure between July 12 and July 14, will be enjoying your coffee again :cool: and will bring a postcard from my current hometown..and possibly some donuts too! We talk a LOT about dontus on this board..it's probably our second ranked topic after Shania..:D :Bthumb
See you in a bit..;)

ladytech
04-19-2002, 07:12 AM
Hello FV. I definitely remember you from last year. You were in the store almost every day. Oh ya and you did seem to like my husbands coffee (shudder) For the rest of you, my husband George and I work together at the store and we offer free coffee to anyone who wanders in. The joke with our regulars is my husbands coffee. We are always teasing him about it since he is the one who makes the majority of the pots. Somedays it is actually drinkable.

We will be open July 12-13 for sure. We usually do not open Sundays. Fv last year you asked us if we would be open on the Sunday and George and I said no. After we got home and George explained to me who you were and why you were there we decided that we should have at least given you our home address so you could do some posting online from our home system but unfortunately had no idea how to contact you to let you know. This year we won't make the same mistake. I live beside Gillies lake with a great view of the Hollinger park etc which is not far from the downtown core so this year if you will be requiring a system to post from on Sunday please let either George or I know at the time and we will make arrangements for you.

For those who have been asking the store is located at 154 third ave, the corner of Third and Balsam, kitty corner from the Maple Leaf hotel.

The warm welcome from this board has been fantastic. I look forward to seeing those who come into Timmins for the Fanfest celebrations.

Gotta run to work now.

Teri

AINAHS
04-19-2002, 08:07 AM
Teri - any new developments on the fate of the Maple Leaf?

AINAHS
04-19-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Bob

Bryce,

I'll let Teri give the full directions. But I know her Cybernet Cafe is on 3rd street. We walked right by it on our downtown walking tour in the snow flurries on that mid-summer's day. Remember when we were looking at all the Shania pictures in a walk through window display on the south side of the street? It was across the street from there, and a block or two west I think. Perhaps not far from where Warrior ran all the cars off the road to get to Shania's high school graduation photo enlargement in a display window on the north side of the street. Could someone post that photo here? I think I saw a poor copy on Driven or Behind the Scenes or both programs:confused:

cbspock
04-19-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by AINAHS
Could someone post that photo here? I think I saw a poor copy on Driven or Behind the Scenes or both programs:confused:

Here is a a vid-cap. of it.

http://www.shania-twain.org/Driven/driven1.jpg

I will post a high-res scan of the whole picutre from the Eggar book when I get home this evening from work, I don't have the pic on my laptop.

-Chris

AINAHS
04-19-2002, 08:32 AM

Here is a a vid-cap. of it.

http://www.shania-twain.org/Driven/driven1.jpg

I will post a high-res scan of the whole picutre from the Eggar book when I get home this evening from work, I don't have the pic on my laptop.

-Chris

WOW! Thanks Chris!:D

Bryce
04-19-2002, 05:19 PM

-Chris

OOOOOO :eek: Looking forward to that. :cool:

Bryce

cbspock
04-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Shania grad scan.....

-chris

cbspock
04-19-2002, 05:41 PM
Shania at Deerhurst

cbspock
04-19-2002, 05:44 PM
Little Leeny

cbspock
04-19-2002, 05:46 PM
If you want the rest of the scans from the book, including the infamous page 84:eek: :eek: , send me an email. I also have the scans of the covers of the Limelight cd too.

-Chris

FV
04-20-2002, 06:26 AM
Oh ya and you did seem to like my husbands coffee (shudder) For the rest of you, my husband George and I work together at the store and we offer free coffee to anyone who wanders in. The joke with our regulars is my husbands coffee. We are always teasing him about it since he is the one who makes the majority of the pots. Somedays it is actually drinkable.
Teri, tell your husband I will have another cup (at least, if not two..) of his great coffee when I stop by in the afternoon of Friday July 12..:D I really need coffee to work in front of a screen..LOL Thank you for your offer of help..I really appreciate it..:) Talk to you in Timmins! :) by the way, are you going to the general event on the night of July 12?

FV
04-20-2002, 07:45 AM
AINAHS,
how much do you like this Shania Window? :D
http://www.shania-twain.org/Timmins/Photos/Mary28.jpg

cbspock
04-20-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by FV
AINAHS,
how much do you like this Shania Window? :D
http://www.shania-twain.org/Timmins/Photos/Mary28.jpg

That is one of my favorite pictures of Shania!!! Wish it was somewhere on the net.

-Chris

byrdman
04-28-2002, 11:13 AM
I thought i would post a pic of TimminsWeb Inc. from my collection. :)

Al

Bob
04-28-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by byrdman

Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for the post. You even got the street number (152) above the entrance next door. Teri wrote above that their business was located at 154 (West) 3rd Street, at the corner of Balsam. I thought Pine Street was the centerline of Timmins for street numbers. It has a highway continuing on out of town to the south. But Cedar is between Balsam and Pine. So if Pine is the centerline, then the far side of Balsam would have to be the 300 block. But I see City Hall is between Pine and Cedar. Also some other businesses East on Algonquin fit Cedar as centerline.

Hmn. When I'm out in the forest, field, stream, desert, mountains or wilderness; I don't have this problem with direction and orientation. All I need is the sun, or the moon and stars, or the moss on the trees.

Al, did you capture any other unique memories on film?

RJA

cbspock
04-28-2002, 11:42 AM
Sorry, this took so long for me to post, I totally forgot about scanning it. Here is the "CD" that was on the tables at the Mayor's dinner the night before the opening.

-Chris

Bob
04-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Sorry, this took so long for me to post, I totally forgot about scanning it. Here is the "CD" that was on the tables at the Mayor's dinner the night before the opening.

-Chris

Thanks Chris.
RJA

FV
04-28-2002, 12:39 PM

-Chris
Very cool too!:cool: Thanks byrdman and Spock! :D

ladytech
04-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Cool, That is definitely my store. 152 is the entrance to a chartered accountant. The entrance to the store is behind the tree in the picture, right on the corner.

Bob, you are correct about the streets being in this order, Pine, Cedar, and then Balsam. I'm Right on the corner of Third and Balsam. I can see city hall from the other side, I'm one block up from Algonquin (the police station) and one block from the bus depot. Kinda centrally located.

It's really neat seeing a picture of the store being posted online without me actually being the one to do it.

Anyways I could use some suggestions from you people. I am in the process of redesigning a website. This site is a Timmins Directory of online listing businesses, tourist attractions, community stuff etc.

The question is, if you were to come to Timmins and were going to research a little about it first what kind of information would you be in need of or looking for???? What would you find useful??? I intend to build a section also on famous people from Timmins, mostly just web links to info about them. Any suggestions for format or layout of this section would be helpful. It will include Shania but also other people from this area.

You post here or email me your suggestions at csk@timminsweb.com

Thanks in advance. I think it will be extremely useful to get suggestions from people NOT from Timmins.

Ladytech

Originally posted by byrdman

Al

Bob
04-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Hi ladytech,

1) 152 is the entrance to a chartered accountant? That sounds familiar, and the location looks familiar. Maybe I was one of the few within hearing at the time it was revealed. But I better not say more, because I'm not certain, and the issue of acceptable privacy is not fully known.

2) Thanks for orienting me to part of downtown Timmins. That fills in some good pieces of the puzzle for me.

3) Your ideas for website redesign sound very interesting. I especially like the item about links to/about famous, influential, interesting or helpful people from Timmins. We have discussed topics related to your question in various threads in this forum at times. The most obvious travelor interest is in lodging, eateries, entertainment facilities, the location, phone # and email of the tourism center, weather, terrain outside of town, maps, things to do, shopping, emergency health care, transportation options, Internet access, people to connect with (fellow travelors with expressed interest in this, unofficial guides or aides who volunteer for limited situations, officials of organizations), maybe some access to info about experiences of prior visitors, campground and RV parks, distances and travel times from nearest known cities, some key elements about the history of Timmins, a thumbnail about it's demographics, key social and government organization types, what is the main focus of current economic enterprise, what are the plans for the future, how will Timmins develop and market some of it's unique resources for mutual benefit of residents and visitors, how can people get to Timmins in ways that are rewarding and affordable, what is Timmins doing to partner with the Great Lakes area technologies of fuel cell transportation developments - considering the natural resource of hydrogen and fresh water in this area could become worth many times more than the Middle East oil bonanza in the long run. There is more, especially on the organization and prioritizing of your website info, as well as the interactivity of it, but I have to run.

Bob

cbspock
04-28-2002, 06:37 PM
WOW!!! Bob, I think you pretty well covered all the bases.

-Chris

FV
04-29-2002, 11:33 AM
The question is, if you were to come to Timmins and were going to research a little about it first what kind of information would you be in need of or looking for???? What would you find useful??? I intend to build a section also on famous people from Timmins, mostly just web links to info about them. Any suggestions for format or layout of this section would be helpful. It will include Shania but also other people from this area.

Hey LadyTech!
I think this new directory is a great idea! Many more people will be visiting Timmins in the future, and travel organizations will be also checking opportunities in Timmins for possible organized travel ..:) I would say that Bob has said pretty much everything I had in mind..:D , but I would emphasize that visitors always need: food, hotels, and a list of things to visit in town..:) in that order maybe..:D Also, more and more, internet connection! LOL..so Timmins Web should be up there on the list..you might also want to get an easy domain name..something like timminsonline.com...that way people will be getting to the directory for different reasons...and might actually stay and look around for new info once they get there..I am hoping I am clear..LOL :BL
One last thing..maybe links to News Articles on Timmins would be good too...so people might get an idea of what is going on in town right away..

Bob
04-29-2002, 05:37 PM
Teri,

FV has practical experience designing websites, and has successfully nurtured the growth and development of frequent visitors' unique interests. She's also a 'perfessor' in her spare time, so she knows about organizing and facilitating the absorption of useful info. Her suggestions about priorities of info for your site sound good to me.

You may have noticed that the message board on her and Terry's (and formerly Bmac's and Seb's) site is perhaps it's strongest feature. That might be due to the quality of it's innate interactivity and residual accumulated info. A prized message board is NOT the strongest feature with all websites, or even Shania related websites.

Whether or not you develop a thriving message board is up to you and I've not thought through that myself yet.

But what I do propose, is that you develop something very well, that is unique to your site, and which ties into key interest(s) of frequent visitors to your site.

Here is one idea. It takes a page from what has been done so well at great sites like ZD.net, Amazon.com and a few others.

They have reviews. Someone who's read the book, or used the software writes a critique. This provides a much needed roadmap of what to expect and whether it fits the prospective customer's needs. Usually there's an expert's review, with short narrative, with rating scale, and side by side of key & succinct pros and cons. Then there's often also a few customer's views, with a rating average.

Such a roadmap would make YOU very important to travelors to Timmins.

Find a good person to synthesize relevant info, as well as the communication traffic on your site and condense it into key points of info useful to visitors to your site and to Timmins.

Sounds like a dream project to me. You may have lots of volunteers who can share duties, so you're not dependent on any one person.

One version could be to have a person gather info via research, for example, going around staying at different motels, eating at restaurants, seeing the sights etc, They might even become a celebrity 'round town and probably get prime service, if not discounted fees.

A different version is to have former travelors give their opinions or write short descriptions of their experience. Someone else consolidates and collates that info into a composite, listing the pros and cons of each service in which prospective visitors would be interested.

There's all kind of possibilities with this. You could find something that is a common denominator for your preferences, those of your visitors, and those of the person/people with the ability to coordinate this unique and helpful web feature.

One obstacle that can be overcome, is the personal discomfort or organizational liability of posting something negative on your site about another Timmins business or service. Newspapers and other publications have a solution for that. I don't know from personal experience what that is. But I would guess that it relates to some form of a disclaimer. One part of the disclaimer could be that this is the reviewer's opinion only and other persons may have a different experience. Reviews and opinions are published all the time. In fact the reviewed service or business often seeks free publicity, and welcome it so long as you accentuate the positives of their service. The drawbacks can be presented as an aide to help improve their service and their profitability.

You can wind up providing a service with mutual benefit in all three directions - to you, to the customer/visitors, and to other Timmins businesses.

Bob

ladytech
04-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've been copy/paste them into notepad so I can keep them with me while I am working.

Bob, I've already started looking for volunteers, especially since the entire site will be nonprofit. I will not be allowing any advertising or banners so the site will be neat, clean and not look like it is favoring any one business or organization. I have a few web servers and offer hosting so I really don't need the income from such a large site as this looks like it will be. Actually I am doing it for two reasons the main one is to benefit my community the second one is a bonus as far as marketing my own business is concerned. I teach web design and MSCE/networking etc. so very often students will also be working on sections of the site either coding or working on the actual servers themselves.

The volunteers range from info gatherers to local people writing monthly columns etc. I've already planned to have the site useful to both residents and non-residents of Timmins.

The biggest problem right now is the look and feel of the site. I've already split it up into sections somewhat and kinda figured what info will be needed but I have been unable to come up with a look yet. I'm also toying with the idea of having a site mascot to help people out and show them around. I'm either going to design a new lil guy or use the existing mascot for my business. He's a little heart shaped fellow with sunglasses and a ball cap. We call him TW.

Anyways what type of sites do you like re/ feel, color, navigation style etc.???

Questions questions questions will they never cease.... not likely.

Take care all

Ladytech

Bob
04-29-2002, 06:35 PM
Hi ladytech,

Hah! You've answered my post even before I've finished editing it. Londo would get a kick out of that.

Sounds like you've got a great project going with your associates from your teaching/training business. My compliments.

I'm surprised you're doing this non profit. I'd have thought a whole storefront would be expensive. But it's a great idea for creating goodwill and access in the community.

As for colors and mascots, there are people on this site with jumping frogs and frowning monkey animations I'll gladly defer to.

As for the look and feel of your site, you probably know far more than I do.

I've seen some sites that were very structured with tables, side bars and all kinds of links to information. ZD net and PC magazine come to mind. They're good, but not perfect.

Another one I saw that was almost the opposite on home page, but had a great feel and was still quite effective was
http://thoughtcasting.com/

The woman who created that has a very good feel for what relates to her customers' needs and interests.

It's a personal growth - self development site. And she has a simple but elegant vine growing across the page. Each separate and good sized leaf has a named category and link to separate page.

If you want a good feel, you could create an artistic entity, equally relevant to your customer needs.

Bob

Bob
04-29-2002, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far...,

...The biggest problem right now is the look and feel of the site. I've already split it up into sections somewhat and kinda figured what info will be needed but I have been unable to come up with a look yet.

I'm also toying with the idea of having a site mascot to help people out and show them around. I'm either going to design a new lil guy or use the existing mascot for my business. He's a little heart shaped fellow with sunglasses and a ball cap. We call him TW.

Anyways what type of sites do you like re/ feel, color, navigation style etc.???

Questions questions questions will they never cease.... not likely.

Take care all
Ladytech

Teri,

I'm building on your mascot idea.

Where would TW show people around?
1) The community of Timmins, represented by an online:
A) Map of Timmins, or
B) Caricature of Timmins, or
C) Artistic rendering of Timmins, or
D) Board game/simulation of Timmins

2) The content elements would include:
A) Paths representing essential routes (highways & streets)
B) Symbols representing the main destinations (bldg/service)
C) Each destination symbol would be a link to a new page with info about that destination
D) Reaching each destination in a board game motif could "win" symbolic points or satisfaction for the service provided there, eg, great pizza meal, fun underground mine tour, comfortable bed rest, etc.
E) Might even start the game/simulation with the goal of fulfilling basic need categories for visitors of food, lodging, transportation, etc. That would help you identify the important items visitors need info about.

I have The SIMS - people simulator from the Creator of Sim City, and also SIM Theme Park - you design it, build it, ride it. I've not had time to open them yet, but they might be adaptible to the above concept. The Theme Park doesn't cost a lot, About $20.

We've got a lot of creative ideas started. You probably won't be able to do them all. Eventually, you'll have to start picking and choosing, simplifying and prioritizing.

I'll throw the first stone. Forget my game idea. It introduces an unnecessary layer to everything and is probably a distraction.

cbspock
04-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Bob, to build on the mascot idea, you could have a charicature of Shania take people around that map of timmins. However, you would need to get her permission for that. Just an idea.

Bob, you have The SIMs game?

Guess who they have for the game...

FV
04-29-2002, 11:09 PM
That's an important question..:) Personally I like bright sites..they get my attention much faster...but other people do not like bright colors when they are reading on the monitor...If it is a directory, I think the most important element has to be the navigation..people will come to the site to look for some information.. there should be a way to find everything you are looking for rather easily...a search engine would be very helpful..a good categorization of threads/topics/issues..so that people can get in, find the answer to their question and be happy to have that info..:)
The feel of the site will be a Timmins feel: wonderfully nice and with a heart of Gold! :) HEY1

Bob
04-30-2002, 05:29 AM
Bob, to build on the mascot idea, you could have a charicature of Shania take people around that map of timmins. However, you would need to get her permission for that. Just an idea.

Bob, you have The SIMs game?

Guess who they have for the game...

Chris,

Members on this board and site might prefer a Shania mascot, but I think Timmins is culturally wider than that.

So far, the heart of gold mascot seems best to me, tho there's still a possibility for something even better to pop up in creative minds.

Yes, I have the 2 versions of the SIMS software mentioned above. I also had an early version of Sim Sity and Populous on my first Amiga computer back i the 1980's. Those old ones were quite limited. I haven't had time to open my new ones since I bought them several months ago. That's always the way it is with me. Too many interesting things to do, too little time. Come Nov 1st I'll be retired and I can delve into my long time goal and dream of developing interactive recreational education, probably in computing and maybe online.

cbspock
04-30-2002, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Bob

Chris,

Members on this board and site might prefer a Shania mascot, but I think Timmins is culturally wider than that.

So far, the heart of gold mascot seems best to me, tho there's still a possibility for something even better to pop up in creative minds.

Yes, I have the 2 versions of the SIMS software mentioned above. I also had an early version of Sim Sity and Populous on my first Amiga computer back i the 1980's. Those old ones were quite limited. I haven't had time to open my new ones since I bought them several months ago. That's always the way it is with me. Too many interesting things to do, too little time. Come Nov 1st I'll be retired and I can delve into my long time goal and dream of developing interactive recreational education, probably in computing and maybe online.

That was just one idea, you could also have a little charicature of a miner running around the website as well.

-Chris

Bob
04-30-2002, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by FV

That's an important question..:) Personally I like bright sites..they get my attention much faster...but other people do not like bright colors when they are reading on the monitor...If it is a directory, I think the most important element has to be the navigation..people will come to the site to look for some information.. there should be a way to find everything you are looking for rather easily...a search engine would be very helpful..a good categorization of threads/topics/issues..so that people can get in, find the answer to their question and be happy to have that info..:)
The feel of the site will be a Timmins feel: wonderfully nice and with a heart of Gold! :) HEY1

FV,

You've said some of what I was was only beginning to think about. Except you got right to some important points and kept it short enough to absorb easily.

You said:
If it's a directory,...the most important element has to be the navigation. People will come to the site to look for some information. There should be a way to find everything they are looking for rather easily. A good categorization of topics, including a search feature for topics not found. So people can get their info and be happy with the result.

What if it's not a directory? What are the other options?

My home page for ATT Worldnet Service is I guess what is called a directory. It packs a lot of info in the home page, with a lot of links to categories of info.

It is customizable into "My ATT" where I choose features to be displayed that I want, and avoid those of lesser importance to me.

I think some form of directory is probably the most effective at getting information to people. But it might not be the best way to get the feeling you want to project about the info you're providing. It's kind of generic, abstract, devoid of one of life's most potent elements - feelings, emotions, friendship, personality.

Before I saw your post, I was thinking back to what Teri was saying about the size of her project and my note that it might have to be reduced to the most essential ingredients, at least on the home page.

And I started having inklings of thoughts about Timmins community. What is it all about. What is it's culture. It has a strong and prominent history of exploration, mining, forestry and some other things that a little research could dig up to give it depth. Past, present (eg tourism) and future would give it perspective and direction. All of this and some other things I don't have time to focus and describe at the moment because I'm late for work due to writing this, would give it flavor and character and feeling.

Instead of a map of the whole city, perhaps some artistic elements (as links) for it's heritage, primary resources etc would work. This needs more sorting than I have time for right now. Because for example, tourism is only one main category, but it happens to be the most important category for this site. And it wouldn't do to just have the mascot escort online visitors to a symbolic link for tourism. The city of Timmins has that and tho they have a good site, it's geared to a wider audience and I don't think it's optimally effective for online tourists who plan to visit Timnins.

Also, there's an obvious range of abstraction versus feeling you can have in your home page elements. Just plain word categories is near one end of the spectrum (abstract). That's fast with info, but short on feeling.

ladytech
04-30-2002, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the ideas people. They are very good. I love the idea of a miner but that would only focus on one area of Timmins. It did make me think however about creating not only a miner, but also a lumberjack etc. and have them available in their own sections of the site with TW (heart fellow) as the lead.

I want the site to have a very comfortable homey feeling to it, one that hopefully portrays Timmins. People here are friendly, helpful and they smile a lot. It should be informative but not rigid like most directories are. Have you ever noticed that directory based sites are no fun? I want people to enjoy the site while looking for information. perhaps I'm asking too much but I'm going to try anyways.

Navigation will be extremely important. I teach my students that a user should be able to get from one section of the site to any other within 3 or 4 clicks if possible so that means dual navigation must be available.

I like the idea of bright colors but may tone them done a bit using softer shades so people are not too distracted. Hmm this is going to take a lot of time.

I've been home sick for a few days. As such I've had a lot of time to think about this. Today I am going to do some graphical work and post some of it. Once it's done I'll post the links here for some feedback if that's ok.

Well time to get to work.

Ladytech

FV
04-30-2002, 10:41 AM
Once it's done I'll post the links here for some feedback if that's ok.
Can't wait to see it LadyTech! :)

ladytech
04-30-2002, 02:53 PM
I've posted TW, a miner and a lumberjack. They need a lot of work and their own personalities but it is a start. They will also be sized a lot smaller for the web site. Probably around the same size as TW is now. For the curious they are located at:

http://www.timminsweb.com/home.htm

I am going to work on a fisherman and then some page layout ideas. I will let you know when those are posted so I can get some more feedback particularily on the design idea

Ladytech

Bob
04-30-2002, 05:14 PM
I've posted TW, a miner and a lumberjack. They need a lot of work and their own personalities but it is a start. They will also be sized a lot smaller for the web site. Probably around the same size as TW is now. For the curious they are located at:

http://www.timminsweb.com/home.htm

I am going to work on a fisherman and then some page layout ideas. I will let you know when those are posted so I can get some more feedback particularily on the design idea

Ladytech

Teri,

Wow. You really move once you get started. It's a rare day that someone can apply ideas as fast as I can dream them up.

I like your mascots.

Bob

FV
04-30-2002, 06:01 PM
Hey LadyTech!
I like the Lumberjak and the Miner! :) How about putting the city of Timmins sign/logo on their shirts? :D

cbspock
04-30-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by FV
Hey LadyTech!
I like the Lumberjak and the Miner! :) How about putting the city of Timmins sign/logo on their shirts? :D

i was going to suggest that as well.

-Chris

ladytech
04-30-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by FV
Hey LadyTech!

I was thinking about doing that but I first need permission from the mayors office. Once I get a little more done I'll go see Jamie and throw the idea at her. The worst she can do is say no.

Bob
04-30-2002, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the ideas...,

...I want the site to have a very comfortable homey feeling to it, one that hopefully portrays Timmins. People here are friendly, helpful and they smile a lot. It should be informative but not rigid like most directories are. Have you ever noticed that directory based sites are no fun? I want people to enjoy the site while looking for information. perhaps I'm asking too much but I'm going to try anyways.

Ladytech

I think that's the most central, unique and important thing you've chosen so far.

Here's one way you could do it.

Imagine that a visitor to your website wants info about mining in the Timmins community. They click on a link to see mining history, the money generated by mining, underground and surface tours, photo ops, etc. The link opens a short Flash video of a walk down a seasonal path, giving the visitor a taste of the peace, beauty and excitment of Timmins outdoors.

Bryce has a nice picture of a winding path through a pleasant spring/summer woods on his way to the MacIntyre Mine Frame Head. With random variation, local song birds appear on branches of trees; a squirrel chatters and scurries out of the way & up a tree; a loon calls as the view opens up temporarily to a kettle lake on one side of the path; or rarely, a wolf or moose is seen briefly in the distance, quickly moving away and out of view into the bush. After a 15-30 second walk, the scene changes to the destination of the visitor's previous selection.

Bryce already has nice pictures of several of the above items. Converting that into a video, or even recording some portions with an actual video camera, should be feasible.

Your mascot could be superimposed, as a small, unobtrusive form in the lower left of the video, leading the way, like a modern day Jiminy Cricket.

Fall and Winter could be done similarly, but with different views, sounds and sensations to match the season.

That's for mining related info. Other scenarios can be developed for the other key elements of what Timmins has to offer.

I have Macromedia's Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks etc. I haven't had time to learn it yet, but it's not rocket science. If I've got it, other members of STNAOFC are already using it. Because I'm the tortoise of technology compared to some of the younger pc techies of that group.

Bob
04-30-2002, 06:26 PM
Ladytech,

You've been home sick a few days? Are you feeling better yet?

RJA

Bob
04-30-2002, 06:37 PM

...I like the idea of bright colors but may tone them done a bit using softer shades so people are not too distracted. Hmm this is going to take a lot of time.

Ladytech

Teri,

Softer colors are easier on the eyes, especially older eyes, like those whose pocket books have accumulated enough funds to do a lot of the traveling.

I was thinking maybe you could just soften the background area behind the text instead of the whole page. Leaves the option of more uplifting color, combined with eye confort while reading text. I think reading text is the most taxing on the eyes, tho I could be wrong, just my impression.

RJA

ladytech
04-30-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Bob

I was thinking maybe you could just soften the background area behind the text instead of the whole page.

RJA

Agreed. I intend to leave the main background white or a silver gray. It tends to be easier on everyones eyes. BTW I am feeling a bit better and will be going into work tomorrow. Thankyou for asking. My students have had enough time off and it's time to crack the whip again so to speak.

Ladytech

FV
04-30-2002, 07:48 PM
My students have had enough time off and it's time to crack the whip again so to speak.
LOL! :BL :King

cbspock
04-30-2002, 08:08 PM

Agreed. I intend to leave the main background white or a silver gray. It tends to be easier on everyones eyes. BTW I am feeling a bit better and will be going into work tomorrow. Thankyou for asking. My students have had enough time off and it's time to crack the whip again so to speak.

Ladytech

LOL!!! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/whip.gif

-Chris

Bob
04-30-2002, 08:25 PM

I've already planned to have the site useful to both residents and non-residents of Timmins.

Ladytech

Oops. I missed that before. I've been developing only ideas about usefulness to visitors to Timmins. Oh well, those ideas are still possible. It's just that tourists won't be the ONLY people serviced by the website info.

Bob
04-30-2002, 08:36 PM
I was thinking farther about the Flash video sequence I'd mentioned 2-3 posts above. There is a range of sophistication that can be applied to achieve the same goal - giving prospective tourists the look, feel and sound of what it's like to be in Timmins.

Flash and video is near the top end of user technology. Easier than that is an animation with some of the sights and sounds retained. We have people animating all over the place on this message board. Seems like a picture of a path could be used as a base reference point, then have trees moving by on each side in animation, with the birds and animals and sounds etc. Easier yet than that, would be a slide show of relevant pics accompanied perhaps with sounds. Still simpler is simply a composite of pics and finally, a single picture or illustration with maybe a little text. I'm not well versed in these matters yet. So I've probably missed some options and overdrawn others.

My point I guess, is that if there is a desirable and effective feature you want in your site, there are multiple ways to achieve it, some harder, some easier.

tower
05-04-2002, 09:22 AM
Thank you "Birdman",

Now I know what to look for on the 18th of May when I plan to drop in past and enjoy George and Teri's company.

May scrounge a cup of Tea off them, if you have such a drink in Canada?

Tom in the office at Fyvie.

ladytech
05-04-2002, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tower
Thank you "Birdman",

Now I know what to look for on the 18th of May when I plan to drop in past and enjoy George and Teri's company.

Tom in the office at Fyvie. [/

What's tea???

heheheheheh

drumbeat51
05-05-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Bob
Hello all here,

I share your concerns about privacy. In fact I'm the one who brought that up first.

Your caution shows good sensitivity to the privacy needs for Timmins residents, and good judgement about liability on this forum.

The challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to develop the benefits of networking, while innovatively figuring out how to avoid the risks.

Not only travelors to Timmins, but also Timmins residents can benefit from a solution to this. They've been asking publicly and privately what they can do to develop their community economically and in other ways, as the mining declines. We are in a unique position, to help them in their tourism, through our connections. Liaison activity need not all be public. It can be set up as a sliding scale, depending upon how much contact our Timmins contacts agree to.

As Shania has sometimes said: "I KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER!!"

I hope we don't let the opportunity pass and leave our personal social capital, and many creative talents, filed away in a box somewhere.

The presumption that persons in Timmins made friends with one or two of us, but have no interest in more of us, does not fit my experience. They are a very friendly and helpful people. And they are probably LESS fragile than we, not more. They're a community of rugged, hardy survivors.

We could invite our Timmins contacts to let us know the extent to which they are interested in communicating, meeting, helping, or welcoming members in good standing, from our organization. I know some people there who don't have time to get online very often. They're too busy working and on other priorities. But they have most definitely extended invitation for visit, contact, etc. One example will appear a bit later in the thread for Timmons Travelors 2001.

Bob

Hi Bob, Privacy issues are easy to solve. First, depending on how well you know the people involved, first ask their permission to publish or print their thoughts and opinions, that it is for the record.

If you don`t know them that well, an authorization signed by the person being interviewed or their permission to record, is all that is necessary to publish if it does not involve anything that requires a legal contract. The authorizaton must be specific as to what is going to be printed, and if used for a book, must be footnoted as a sorce.

I spoke to some people myself in Timmins on my visit. One was a founder of the Timmins Wall of Fans in Timmins which I have to follow up on to find out what ever happened to it. One was the photographer that was at that Shania Timmins High Reunion in Timmins in 2000 and knows her personally. He informed me he is Shania`s photographer while she is in Timmins and is also the president of a mining business in Timmins. He asked me to join him for breakfast, LOL .. I spoke with two or three of Shanias friends in Timmins who went to school with her, one is an owner of a large downtown Resturant on 3rd street, but all was off the record , sorry, and I can`t print them

Ken

FV
05-05-2002, 07:16 AM

What's tea???

heheheheheh
FV makes note to self: bring 400 tea bags from Brighton when flying into Timmins....:rolleyes: :p :BL and some too for LadyTech! ;) Real Cool

Bob
05-05-2002, 10:30 AM
Thank you "Birdman",

Tom in the office at Fyvie.

Hi Tom,

I'm glad Byrdman was able to help.

This also illustrates my point earlier about valuable info we collectively possess, but which remains unseen and unsuable by others.

Partly it is because we don't remember all that we as individuals have, don't know what others can use, and don't have enough time to find out.

An interactive feature (identifiable social network) for social and information connections, solves that problem.

Message boards like this entertain and inform somewhat. But they do not optimize the effective use of time and info to the extent this technology permits.

The member profile database reveals our personal info to everybody. So we have to limit what we put there. The most useful info about me is something I'd only share with my most supportive and constructive friends. I've looked at the buddy lists etc. They're too small of a step to achieve what I propose.

Imagine I could see a network that includes people in Timmins I'd like to exchange info with, but I don't know that person, don't want to intrude, or they don't want to be intruded upon by the whole world wide web. I could see from our network, that they are connected in a cluster with someone I do know. And I can pass my inquiry or info through the middle person. I believe, for example, Joni did that with our scrap book in Timmins. That's also at least partly how we got connected through Brigitte and Paul Kolb to the tours of the TV station and radio station, and Corinna Vrona and Dave McLaughlin.

Privacy needs to be appropriately addressed. Resolving that may not be easy nor instantaneous.

But that's not an adequate reason to bury forever, our collective info, connections and social capital. Too many good things, including some surprising, beneficial breakthroughs get left undiscovered and undone as a result.

Some think it's great when Shania exposes her vulnerability in her songs. Yet when there's an opportunity for us to do the same with resources we have, we stop pursuing it because we fear a possible harmful result. We think the only way to protect persons in Timmins from unwanted public intrusions, is to prevent almost all access to info about them.

Having said all that, I must admit that not everything has the quality that Shania puts into her songs. And not everything we have is suitable for public consumption.

It's probably good to avoid going into too much minor detail if the info serves no useful purpose other than the ego of the writer. And it's definitely good to avoid negative info that attacks people, except in unavoidable defense of the basic right of this site and it's members to exist and contribute constructively. Finally, we need to use good judgement and make sure other people don't mind if we share info about them.

Bob
05-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by drumbeat51

Hi Bob, Privacy issues are easy to solve. First, depending on how well you know the people involved, first ask their permission to publish or print their thoughts and opinions, that it is for the record.

If you don`t know them that well, an authorization signed by the person being interviewed or their permission to record, is all that is necessary to publish if it does not involve anything that requires a legal contract. The authorizaton must be specific as to what is going to be printed, and if used for a book, must be footnoted as a sorce.

I spoke to some people myself in Timmins on my visit. One was a founder of the Timmins Wall of Fans in Timmins which I have to follow up on to find out what ever happened to it. One was the photographer that was at that Shania Timmins High Reunion in Timmins in 2000 and knows her personally. He informed me he is Shania`s photographer while she is in Timmins and is also the president of a mining business in Timmins. He asked me to join him for breakfast, LOL .. I spoke with two or three of Shanias friends in Timmins who went to school with her, one is an owner of a large downtown Resturant on 3rd street, but all was off the record , sorry, and I can`t print them

Ken

Hi Ken,

Sounds like you had a great time and met some interesting people. I think most of us did. When were you in Timmins?

Thanks for your thoughts on privacy. That does sound relatively straight forward.

Your notes are helping me focus my proposal for an identifiable and accessible social network among STNAOFC members, Timmins residents and Travelors to Timmins.

If a member, a travelor to Timmins, or a Timmins Resident could see on our website, a table or chart of Who's Who, and Who Knows Who; then they could more easily ask for, or privide info to, people with the solution to their situation.

For example, if Roger or Wing wanted to know something from, or share something with, Shania's local Timmins photographer, they might send an inquiry or note through you. If I wanted to discuss the mining of precious metals with a Timmins mining expert, or my discovery of a promising geological formation; I could also go through you. If members here, or travelors to Timmins wanted to know something from Dan at Maridan's, they won't be able to contact him easily or conveniently. But they could do so through me. The same for many other people in Timmins, who don't want to be exposed without restriction, to the whole world on the Internet.

I believe we could have a tool for great constructive use, if we agree on it's purpose, guidelines and it's limits, then establish it's format.

drumbeat51
05-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Bob

Hi Ken,

Sounds like you had a great time and met some interesting people. I think most of us did. When were you in Timmins?

Thanks for your thoughts on privacy. That does sound relatively straight forward.

Your notes are helping me focus my proposal for an identifiable and accessible social network among STNAOFC members, Timmins residents and Travelors to Timmins.

If a member, a travelor to Timmins, or a Timmins Resident could see on our website, a table or chart of Who's Who, and Who Knows Who; then they could more easily ask for, or privide info to, people with the solution to their situation.

For example, if Roger or Wing wanted to know something from, or share something with, Shania's local Timmins photographer, they might send an inquiry or note through you. If I wanted to discuss the mining of precious metals with a Timmins mining expert, or my discovery of a promising geological formation; I could also go through you. If members here, or travelors to Timmins wanted to know something from Dan at Maridan's, they won't be able to contact him easily or conveniently. But they could do so through me. The same for many other people in Timmins, who don't want to be exposed without restriction, to the whole world on the Internet.

I believe we could have a tool for great constructive use, if we agree on it's purpose, guidelines and it's limits, then establish it's format.

Bob,

I was in Timmins on July 3, flew in from Paris, and was a day or two late for the grand opening of the Center. When I arrived at the Senator Hotel LOL, you guys had already left. :( :(.

Anyway, I was t here for about 7 days, and meant quite a few people in that time. Had lots of fun, went a lot of places too. I posted in the Mercury Site with others in this club when I came back.

I think your idea is a good one, with people we might establish friendships with in Timmins.

Ken

Bob
05-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by drumbeat51

Bob,

I was in Timmins on July 3, flew in from Paris, and was a day or two late for the grand opening of the Center. When I arrived at the Senator Hotel LOL, you guys had already left. :( :(.

Anyway, I was t here for about 7 days, and meant quite a few people in that time. Had lots of fun, went a lot of places too. I posted in the Mercury Site with others in this club when I came back.

I think your idea is a good one, with people we might establish friendships with in Timmins.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I regret we missed connecting with you in Timmins.

I can see from your posts that you're quite talented and constructive. Maybe we can use the missed connection in Timmins last summer as motivation toward something useful. If I'd known people like you were going to be around town, I'd have loved to share some of those experiences you described. As it was, I had to get back to work then.

Now that my retirement is imminent, I'm not quite so restrained with my time. I've entertained no serious thoughts about going to Timmins this summer. Maybe I can revisit that choice.

You flew in from Paris last time? I haven't been there since 1967. But it was a memorable visit. I can still see visions of Napoleon's tomb and the Palace at Versailles, among more down to earth and natural phenomenon.

If I get some time, I'll have to go the Mercury site at see if I can pick up on your Timmins trip discussion there.

RJA

AINAHS
05-06-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Bob

Hi Ken,

I regret we missed connecting with you in Timmins.

I can see from your posts that you're quite talented and constructive. Maybe we can use the missed connection in Timmins last summer as motivation toward something useful. If I'd known people like you were going to be around town, I'd have loved to share some of those experiences you described. As it was, I had to get back to work then.

Now that my retirement is imminent, I'm not quite so restrained with my time. I've entertained no serious thoughts about going to Timmins this summer. Maybe I can revisit that choice.

You flew in from Paris last time? I haven't been there since 1967. But it was a memorable visit. I can still see visions of Napoleon's tomb and the Palace at Versailles, among more down to earth and natural phenomenon.

If I get some time, I'll have to go the Mercury site at see if I can pick up on your Timmins trip discussion there.

RJA I may just want to tag along!:D

FV
05-07-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by AINAHS
I may just want to tag along!:D
Just do it! :D LOL