PDA

View Full Version : No one thinking of Timmins Future

cbspock
04-12-2002, 06:11 AM
Here is a letter from the Timmins Press.
http://www.timminspress.com/timminspress/NEWS/Letters.htm

No one is thinking about Timmins' future
I SIT HERE by my computer every morning, in my residence room at Nipissing University in North Bay and read the letters to the editor in the on-line version of The Daily Press.

I have noticed lately there are many regarding the new funding Timmins is getting from the government for the new health and social services facility and library.

Well, being a Porcupine resident, I am really happy Timmins is receiving such funding; however, I am not sure I agree with where it's going.

The thought of yet another library is quite depressing, especially after the city just closed the one in Schumacher, not so long ago.

My only concern is, what will happen to the ones that are already there?

Will they just become obsolete and turn into empty rooms (something the East End really does not need!)?

Is it possible for the current libraries to get an upgrade maybe? Or expand them?

If Internet or computer accessibility is a concern, why not just focus on creating a building in, or close to the current libraries.

I agree with Coun. John Curley in that having yet another library is a luxury.

Some of the city councillors and the mayor have to change their way of thinking.

In 20 years from now what is going to be left in Timmins? Not a whole heck of a lot.

I would love to come back to Timmins and raise a family, but I won't if there isn't anything to go back to!

The Dome and Kidd mines are NOT going to last forever and they are both coming to a close very soon.

What will create new jobs in Timmins?

One telecommunications centre? I don't think so.

The city needs to have something totally different to create jobs in the area — one that doesn't necessarily revolve around our natural resources. It's great we have them, but it's obvious they are running out.

It would be great if Timmins could open another university or college.

Students would come from all over (the cost of living would be incredibly low and it would keep students in the area).

Nipissing University and Canadore College help immensely with North Bay's economy.

North Bay does not rely solely on their natural resources and they seem to be doing very well.

They offer many great concerts and special events.

FanFest was an awesome idea! But maybe we could build a bigger building or redo the Sportsplex so Timmins can get big names all year round.

Having more special events in Timmins would help.

(And please nothing more to do with Shania. I think people are getting bored with her — don't get me wrong, I love her music, but enough is enough!):rolleyes::rolleyes:

It would also help if Timmins had a bigger YMCA.

And if there was more involvement with the sporting teams, curling, skiing, hockey (we should never have lost the Golden Bears!) and summer activities, it would draw tourists. If Timmins offers more it will get more!

I don't want Timmins to end up a retirement or ghost town like Elliot Lake!

Those are just some ideas from a concerned and hopeful future resident of Timmins.

Amanda Coutu, Nipissing University, North Bay

--------------------

I hope she is in Timmins next time we are there so we can show her how bored we are with Shania..:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Steve F
04-12-2002, 12:45 PM
"Don't it seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone, they tore down a ??? and put up a parking lot!":eek: --- From the song "Taxi" but I can't remember what they tore down.:D Anyway, that's what I think about Shania becoming boring to the people of Timmins. May she is, maybe she isn't, but I think it's up to the Community to tell her if they think so of if they still want her to be significant part of their lives. I don't think it should be decided by someone not a part of Timmins.

Steve

Roger
04-12-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Steve F
"Don't it seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone, they tore down a ??? and put up a parking lot!":eek: --- From the song "Taxi" but I can't remember what they tore down.:D
Steve

Canadian singer/songwriter Joni Mitchell wrote Big Yellow Taxi in 1970. I believe the words are:

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

Roger

Bryce
04-12-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Roger

Canadian singer/songwriter Joni Mitchell wrote Big Yellow Taxi in 1970. I believe the words are:

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

Roger

Right you are Roger. This is a bit off topic but I heard this story just the other day on the radio. I don't know if this is true but after playing this song the DJ said it was written about a popular Bar/Club called Paradise. Which was torn down inorder to make, you guessed it, a parking lot. Hence the line paved paradise & put up a parking lot.

Amy Grant also recorded a good version of this song.

Bryce

Bob
04-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Well there's some thrusting and parrying here over Shania, which overlooks the main thrust of the original article. How to preserve a better future for Timmins. I think it's a good question.

Though taking a jab at Shania on a key website of her fans is not the way to win friends and influence people. Neither probably, is it effective to swipe away at the mayor and others, or to have the whole post precipitated by a perceived flaw in library planning. This post sounded very much like one I read several months ago.

So the the larger question's been asked. The answers still need development. We've contributed some ideas toward that end, though no completely feasible solution yet. Maybe in time, more will come.

Meanwhile, what happened to Elliot Lake? I'd read about Kirkland Lake yrs ago. That was 1/3 of my reasons for visiting Timmins area in 1979. Did some prospecting out a bit east of Lake Abitibi on it's north side. Found geological formations that led to good mining prospects. Unfortunately as I got back into the bush, I discovered that someone had discovered the same place before me, on a big scale. Oh well, it was good to know my instincts were right even if someone else got the loot.

AINAHS
04-12-2002, 11:01 PM
What people are getting bored with Shania?

If Timmins folk feel this way in droves why did they invest in the ST Centre?

I think Amanda is the exception to the rule.

:) :) :)

cbspock
04-12-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS
What people are getting bored with Shania?

If Timmins folk feel this way in droves why did they invest in the ST Centre?

I think Amanda is the exception to the rule.

:) :) :)

They felt the STC was a way to jumpstart the tourist industry in Timmins, to bring people there, in an attempt to diversify the Timmins economy.

-Chris

AINAHS
04-12-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by cbspock

They felt the STC was a way to jumpstart the tourist industry in Timmins, to bring people there, in an attempt to diversify the Timmins economy.

-Chris I assumed that - who is in charge really of the Centre?

cbspock
04-12-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS
I assumed that - who is in charge really of the Centre?

Will Saari, is in charge of the STC and Goldmine. We got the rundown on why they chose to do the STC, and not some other attraction. I pretty sure there was a whole discussion on it in this forum from about 18 months ago.

-Chris

AINAHS
04-13-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by cbspock

Will Saari, is in charge of the STC and Goldmine. We got the rundown on why they chose to do the STC, and not some other attraction. I pretty sure there was a whole discussion on it in this forum from about 18 months ago.

-Chris I see I have lots to research! Thanks:D

FV
04-13-2002, 06:46 AM
I do not really find that the mentions to Shania in Timmins are boring at all..actually quite interesting for many reasons..I wonder whether that person toook the time to visit the Centre...:confused: the reader would not be able to say that SHania is boring in any way...:D

tower
04-13-2002, 07:43 AM
Shania Fans,

Go to http://www.timminspress.com and read the current letters page. Amanda Coutu states:

"and please, no more Shania - I think People are getting bored with her" but goes on to say she likes the music though!

Needless to say I penned a letter to the editor double quick, and if a few hundred more do the same, I guess they will get the message loud and clear.... Oooh Err what have I started.

You can email the editor from the site... Poor chap, bet he is NOT going to enjoy Monday. Loved some of the calender photo's of Shania, only thing is you forget why you wanted to look up a date in the first place.

I have had to take Shania off the wallpaper on the Radio Room PC here, it was just too much of a distraction for the other R/O's to handle.

Bye for now,

Tom still all at sea until the 16th...

tower
04-13-2002, 09:28 AM
I very much doubt if the majority of people in Timmins are "bored with Shania Twain" if the email contacts I have made are anything to go by.

With a new CD promised I doubt if that could be possible - too many Timmins people will have so much Pride in her achivements and her un selfish promotion of her home town world wide.

I will let you all know how I get on in Timmins 17th 23rd May and take lots of pictures too. I have a feeling however that letter may stir up a bit of a storm, not 'cause of the Shania content but the other stuff. Her heart is in the right place though.

Local papers however are the same the world over, you can see letters just the same from my part of the world at http://www.northofscotland.co.uk Shame though, never seen Shania Twain get a mention in the Aberdeen Press and Journal!;)

Bye for now.

FV
04-14-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by tower
I have had to take Shania off the wallpaper on the Radio Room PC here, it was just too much of a distraction for the other R/O's to handle.
LOL! :D I wonder what will happen if you would put up a SHania calendar in the dining hall there..:p ;)

tower
04-14-2002, 05:55 AM
Dear FV and all,

I we were to place an ST planner near the Hotplate I would starve to death waiting in line as the "lads" looked at each month, very slowly..

No girls on board just now!:BL

CU