PDA

View Full Version : A sad day in NYC...no more Shania, or Garth, or Reba

cbspock
04-27-2002, 11:11 PM
NYC To Lose Only Country Station
-- Sometime in May, New York City will lose it's only country radio station -- perhaps as early as Cinco de Mayo, reports Radio & Records. The country music quadcast of WYNY, WWXY, WWYY & WWZY will switch to Spanish. This will be the first time in nearly 30 years that the New York City area finds itself without a country music radio station.

Get used to it. Your town could be next.

Then again, you can't lose something you've already lost. It's one thing to be told you have a country radio station in your town -- and another thing entirely to actually have one.

-----------------

Like we really need another spanish station here? :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad: So now our musical choices here in NY are: AC, Rock, Spanish, Urban, and Dance. It's all junk. AC and rock are the only decent ones here.

Our only hope is if Shania revives country music.

-Chris

AINAHS
04-28-2002, 12:04 AM
Thank God for CDs and casettes!

:D :D :D :D :D

I have said before and will say again radio has been pretty much worthless for some time and I have virtually given up on it even tho in Cinci we have 6 or more country stations - all generally playing the same top 20 **** that is spewed out also on CMT and GAC.

We do have a few college stations and old country stations I listen to at times - surely - Chris - on the Island you have the same?

AINAHS
04-28-2002, 12:06 AM
...hmmm come to think of it no more Garth or Reba ain't the worst thing!:D :D

cbspock
04-28-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by AINAHS
Thank God for CDs and casettes!

:D :D :D :D :D

I have said before and will say again radio has been pretty much worthless for some time and I have virtually given up on it even tho in Cinci we have 6 or more country stations - all generally playing the same top 20 **** that is spewed out also on CMT and GAC.

We do have a few college stations and old country stations I listen to at times - surely - Chris - on the Island you have the same?

Long Island lost its country station 2 years ago. The college stations are lame. Good thing I have the cd changer in my car

-Chris

cbspock
04-28-2002, 08:51 AM
There is one mistake in the article, we lost our country station in the early 80's. It was not until Garth Brooks made country music exciting, that it came back. Then we had two stations in the 90's, one in NYC, the other a Long Island station.

So, do you think anyone in Music City is concerned that one of the largest markets in the USA is without a country station?

-Chris

stwainfan
04-28-2002, 11:02 AM
i things will pic up when Shania is back :)
btw Garth & Reba are both good :):)

Steve F
04-28-2002, 12:14 PM
This is sad news that such a huge market won't have a country station. In fact it is unbelievable. There is a silver lining in this cloud if you will, and that is Shania gets played on several formats, so at least you will hear a Shania song somewhere in the "Big Apple" on any given day and time. And yes Garth and Reba are good.

Steve

cbspock
04-28-2002, 12:20 PM
But they don't play all her songs like the country station did. Wait til more country stations fold around the country. I hope Nashville gets the hint that no one likes what they are shoveling out to the radiostations. It is going to be up to artists to revive the format. Nashville desperatly needs a breakout artist, or one of their heavy hitters to do something to spark interest in the format again. Seems everything is working in Shania's favor for a major comeback.

-Chris

FV
04-28-2002, 12:53 PM
...hmmm come to think of it no more Garth or Reba ain't the worst thing!:D :D
:eek: hey they are both great artists! :p

cbspock
04-28-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by FV

:eek: hey they are both great artists! :p

I agree!! But now we can't hear Martina, the Dixie Chicks, Cyndi, Lee Ann Womack, Terri Clark, :(

-chris

AINAHS
04-28-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by FV

:eek: hey they are both great artists! :p ...to some!

To me Garth is not the least appealing - Reba has a few tunes I like but I own none of either's work.

AINAHS
04-28-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by cbspock

I agree!! But now we can't hear Martina, the Dixie Chicks, Cyndi, Lee Ann Womack, Terri Clark, :(

-chris It is a good thing you own their CDs:D

stwainfan
04-28-2002, 06:07 PM
...to some!

To me Garth is not the least appealing - Reba has a few tunes I like but I own none of either's work.
lets see i have 4 Garth cds :D:D
and 22 Reba cds :D:D

AINAHS
04-28-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by stwainfan

lets see i have 4 Garth cds :D:D
and 22 Reba cds :D:D

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/rotfl.gif

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/soapbox.gif

stwainfan
04-29-2002, 07:20 PM
lets see Garth has sold ove 100 million records :p

AINAHS
04-30-2002, 01:21 AM
over how many years?

vegasjunkie
04-30-2002, 03:23 AM
As I see it, and I don't want to sound too politically incorrect. When you have a population of a city that 25% of them can't understand or try to learn the language, like we have in Phoenix. I'm not suprised that the radio is changing to a foreign language station. Luckly here in Phoenix we have a couple of great country stations; even our DJ's have been nominated the last few years on CMA's for the best country personalities of the year.
Chris, my heart goes out to you and all of NYC.

stwainfan
05-01-2002, 04:14 AM
over how many years?
his first self titled record was in 1989

AINAHS
05-01-2002, 09:21 AM
Let's see in 4 more years where Shania stands in sales.:D

stwainfan
05-01-2002, 09:34 AM
ok i think Shania will pass him :):D

AINAHS
05-01-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by stwainfan
ok i think Shania will pass him :):D THERE YOU GO!:D

FV
05-01-2002, 10:52 AM
THERE YOU GO!:D
LOL! :D:SN

Sheri
05-04-2002, 12:50 AM
We lost our one and only country music station a few years ago. It surprised me not only because Honolulu is a large city, but also because we have such a strong military base, we have radio listeners from all parts of the country living here.

As for Reba, I have a particular fondness for her as a person (more so than her music, it's okay, but I haven't purchased a CD), because of the way she supported Shania when it was most unpopular to do so. Thanks, Reba.

cbspock
05-04-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Sheri
As for Reba, I have a particular fondness for her as a person (more so than her music, it's okay, but I haven't purchased a CD), because of the way she supported Shania when it was most unpopular to do so. Thanks, Reba.

Plus it was so cool, that she wanted to present this to Shania.....

http://www.shania.nu/gallery/cma/cma34.jpg
http://www.shania.nu/gallery/cma/cma35.jpg

:D

-Chris

stwainfan
05-04-2002, 08:33 AM
great pics :)

cbspock
05-08-2002, 08:01 AM
Well, without any fanfare, our country station disappeared last night. This morning I turned on the radio and it was a spanish station. They never said yesterday that it would be their last day as a country station.

-Chris

AINAHS
05-09-2002, 01:01 AM
Well, without any fanfare, our country station disappeared last night. This morning I turned on the radio and it was a spanish station. They never said yesterday that it would be their last day as a country station.

-Chris Are there country stations in Westchester Rockland and Putnam counties still that you can get?

cbspock
05-09-2002, 06:16 AM
Are there country stations in Westchester Rockland and Putnam counties still that you can get?

Nope, you can't get those stations from Long Island. I don't even know if there are country stations up there.

-Chris

AINAHS
05-09-2002, 08:57 AM

Nope, you can't get those stations from Long Island. I don't even know if there are country stations up there.

-Chris That is too bad (I am from Yonkers)

cbspock
05-09-2002, 09:16 AM
That is too bad (I am from Yonkers)

On the eastern end of Long Island, where I am , I can get the CT countrystation, but it depends on the weather, also reception is better on the northshore, but I live on the southshore of the island. :(

-Chris

cbspock
05-09-2002, 06:49 PM
It's Over
-- "It's over," the voice shouted yesterday, announcing the death of country music on New York radio. That's when 107.1 FM, aka "New Country 107," gave way to "Rumba 107," the newest Hispanic station to join the local airwaves, reports Peter Goodman in Newsday.

Aimed at a young Latino audience, "Rumba" is to be 80 to 85 percent Spanish and 15 to 20 percent English, including crossover acts. For more, click here...

Oh well. On the bright side, there's one less "New Country" station.

With an atitude like that, no wonder country music is in trouble.

-chris