PDA

View Full Version : Shania creates a new "star"-sorta!

DOC BILL
07-15-2002, 07:08 AM
Here's a funny story as to how things can happen-it may have happened anyway, I don't know, but I gotta feel Shania had alot to do with this happening.
I've always wanted to play guitar-just never did it. Because of Shania's music and my desire to "play" her songs I finally decided to learn to play. That's not the story. My son Bill (15 yo) after listening/watching me play for about a year and a half decided he wanted to play guitar. Unlike me he is gifted and in 6 months had not only far surpassed anything I could ever do with a guitar but became involved with a few of his friends in a band (still doesn't have a name!). They have performed in two shows so far the last one was last night. The funny thing is, Bill who is very introverted, was "forced " to sing last night. I had never heard him sing before-not even around the house. Well the kid has a voice! He did a great job and after a song or so using a weak, obviously terrified voice, he relaxed(a little) and started reaching down and beltin' out some pretty awesome vocals. He had the crowd up and hootin'. Anyone who has ever tried to play a guitar well and also sing knows that it's not as easy as it looks. I think he found his calling last night at age 15-I'm still not certain if that's a good or bad thing, I guess time will tell. But I am sure Shania's influence on me that finally pushed me to start something I wanted to do my whole life has led my son in a direction that I don't know if he would have chosen on his own without that influence Shania had on me. He's not a big Shania fan but if he turns out to be as good as everything I saw last night would suggest-he ought to be! DOC

Steve F
07-15-2002, 12:28 PM
I am very happy for both of you. I know how it feels to be extremely proud of a child. It's a great feeling. If Bill can sing that well and really wants to go for it DOC, that is so great. Since Terry and I got a chance to see him last Summer in Timmins, we wish him all the best. By the way, our children seem to have that ability to far exceed our own limiits, playing guitar included. So don't let it bother you. I always thought I played fairly well many years ago, but then my brother began to play rings around me, he still can. My brother and I both ended up flying right by our Dad in playing ability when we were kids. Unfortunately for me, I have barely touched a guitar in 30 years and like they say, you snooze, you lose, and I have. I just don't have any drive anymore to reclaim what I used to know. Your priorities change. I get it out now and then as I still have all my equipment, but it's not the same as when you're 19 or 20. I thought when I retired there would be time, but so far this hasn't happened. To my credit, I have learned to play and sing FTMO from the sheeet music. Anyway DOC, keep us posted on your son's adventures in song. If you are excited about him, he must be pretty good.

Steve

Roger
07-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Alright Doc! It's wonderful to see your kids excel at something. Congratulations to Bill for what he has achieved so far! It's funny, isn't it, how one action has a chain of consequences, some of which can be completely unpredictable. Your son is performing as an indirect result of your love of Shania and her music.

Roger

FV
07-15-2002, 04:22 PM
Great story DOC! :) Congratulations to Bill (jr.) for the great gig..and keep going! DOC you know that Shania will be looking for a guitar player soon..so Billy has a chance..;) :BL
I wonder what Deb is thinking of having two guitar players in the house jamming together..:Bthumb

IntimateRiver
07-15-2002, 07:27 PM
You mentioned that usually your son, Bill, is the shy type, and has never sung around the house, but put on the stage, with the lights turned on him, he exploded. That's not that unusual. It has always amazed me how many singers and actors claim they are naturally very shy people. Sometimes the doors to shy people’s talent do not open unless they are put onstage, and all eyes are on them. Then they become much bigger then life. The stage will do that to shy people, why? I don't know. One common thing with shy people and the stage, they rarely have the degree of stage fright normal people have.

I think I was the shyest person in my high school, yet ended up president of out thespian club. go figure, gary

Roger
07-15-2002, 07:39 PM
Shy people often make great actors. Unlike regular life, they feel less self conscious, not more, when acting because they can't be judged on what they are saying or doing because that is the script. Even singing, you are in a sense following a script. Also, shy people spend a lot more time listening and observing than extroverts so have a larger, more subtle fund of observed behaviours than people who spend most of their time off stage yacking. JMO

Roger