PDA

View Full Version : New site...Showcase Artists, Songwriters and Catalog

cbspock
07-27-2002, 05:38 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020723/latu125_1.html
Press Release
SOURCE: Universal Music Publishing Group
Universal Music Publishing Group Launches New Website www.UniversalMusicPublishing.com To Showcase Artists, Songwriters and Catalog
LOS ANGELES, July 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG) (NYSE: V - News), the world's leading music publishing company, has unveiled a new website -- www.universalmusicpublishing.com -- geared to showcase highlights of the company's rich song catalog and international talent roster of leading recording artists and songwriters. A new tool for the entertainment industry, the website features hundreds of spotlight pages, which offer biographies, audio and video clips, links to labels and artists sites, as well as licensing information.

"We are excited to offer this promotional site as a creative and informative resource tool for our clients, partners, and for music professionals who license music. It is part of UMPG's ongoing commitment to aggressively market our writers and catalog in new and innovative ways," said David Renzer, Worldwide President, Universal Music Publishing Group.

From Dizzie Gillespie to Steppenwolf to Elton John, the website's fast, interactive Catalog History Flash Timeline (located at www.universalmusicpublishing.com/timeline ) is a first of its kind among major publishers and highlights the works created or recorded by some of the most famous artists and songwriters of the 20th Century. Zooming through a colorful montage of artist images, the user can trigger audio clips and pop-up spotlights, which offer song lists, the history of the UMPG catalog, and writer biographies.

With a visually compelling design and simple functionality, www.UniversalMusicPublishing.com also provides easy access to news, information on the company's global services (including global administration, sub-publishing, creative, marketing, and licensing), and sheet music/folio sales, plus it serves as a portal to UMPG's 50+ offices worldwide.

Mr. Renzer also announced the website will soon be complemented by UMPG's forthcoming online licensing/search engine -- SynchExpress.com -- which is currently in development for launch this winter.

About Universal Music Publishing Group

With 47 offices in 41 countries worldwide, Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG) is part of the Universal Music Group and one of the industry's largest global music publishing operations. Owning or administering more than 850,000 copyrights, UMPG's writers and catalogs include: U2, Shania Twain, Ja Rule, Prince, Godsmack, Ice Cube, Vanessa Carlton, Mary J. Blige, The Corrs, Eve, Musiq, Jill Scott, Brian McKnight, No Doubt, Blink-182, 3 Doors Down, The Beastie Boys, Anastacia, Fatboy Slim, DMX, Fuel, and Alanis Morissette.

About Universal Music Group

Universal Music Group is the world's leading music company with wholly- owned record operations or licensees in 63 countries. Universal Music Group is a unit of Vivendi Universal (NYSE: V - News), a global media and communications company.

SOURCE: Universal Music Publishing Group

Shania.....
http://www.umpghq.com/umpghome/spotlight/dsp_spotlight.asp?ID=235

cbspock
07-27-2002, 05:41 PM
Shania's bio on site....

Coming from humble yet proud beginnings, Shania Twain, born Eileen Regina Edwards, is now a triumphant victor in the music world, conquering the country music genre and crossing over to other formats as well. Shania Twain was raised in Timmins, Ontario, by her mother Sharon and her stepfather Jerry Twain, an Ojibway Indian, in a home that at times may have struggled to keep food on the table but never lacked a wealth of music. Shania often escaped to her bedroom with her guitar to sing and write songs, honing the skills that would later catapult her into stardom. The elaborate mixes in musical styles that influenced her during these private sessions, included not only country legends Waylon, Willie, and Dolly but also the Mamas and the Papas, the Carpenters, and the Supremes. Her diverse interests helped Shania develop a singing and songwriting style that was unique and unmatched. After noticing her daughter’s talent, Shania’s mother Sharon helped her book different opportunities for singing in clubs, community centers, television and radio. This did not prevent Shania learning a tough physical work ethic by working with her stepfather during the winters, an ethic she was forced to rely on when she lost her parents in an automobile accident in 1987, when she was 21. As the second oldest of five children, Shania took on the responsibilities necessary to raise her three younger siblings, until they were old enough to care for themselves.

Never forgetting her passion for music and finally having time to concentrate on her own needs, she changed her name from Eileen to the Ojibway name of Shania, which means “I’m on my way.” Shania landed a record deal with Mercury Records, but her 1993 self-titled debut album only featured one song that Shania wrote in its entirety. After meeting rock-producer Robert John Lange (whom she married six months later), Shania began to believe in herself and her songwriting skills. The two began working on her second album in Nashville. This collaboration resulted in The Woman in Me in 1995, which was named Album of the Year by the Academy of Country Music and earned Shania a Grammy for Country Album of the Year. The album sold 18 million copies, making Shania Twain the best-selling country female artist of all time. Shania’s next album, Come on Over, released in 1997, not only topped the country charts but also broke into the pop charts selling 11 million copies to date. Shania Twain’s long-awaited tour further solidified the proof of her talents as a musician, helping her collect an abundance of awards and titles including five Grammys and BMI’s Country and Pop Songwriter of the Year

Jud
07-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Chris, I saw it too, and send them an e-mail, because they have mistakes, and well, not up-dated at all.

cbspock
07-27-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Jud
Chris, I saw it too, and send them an e-mail, because they have mistakes, and well, not up-dated at all.

I know, some of their numbers are totally wrong. Also, they should remove "step father", and put in father. Shania never considered Jerry Twain, her step dad, but her dad.

-Chris

Sheri
07-27-2002, 10:58 PM
I believe he adopted her, did he not? And the tribe did, too? That means Jerry Twain was, is and always will be her father.

cbspock
07-27-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Sheri
I believe he adopted her, did he not? And the tribe did, too? That means Jerry Twain was, is and always will be her father.

Yes, he adopted them. Shania took great offense to that Timmins Press story way back. They tried to make a big deal of her heritage, and said that Jerry was not her dad. It is the only time in an interview I have ever seen Shania really ticked off.

It is a shame, that her parents could not enjoy all her success, or see what a great person she became.

-Chris

Vivashania
07-27-2002, 11:22 PM
Well, I'll give them credit for making an effort. I just hope they correct the errors. There are a bunch of them.

cbspock
07-27-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Vivashania
Well, I'll give them credit for making an effort. I just hope they correct the errors. There are a bunch of them.

They made the mistake of not running it by the fanclub..lol

-Chris

FV
07-28-2002, 05:53 AM
Did you notice that they alphabetized Shania under the "S"? :rolleyes: I like that idea of having such database of artists...The info needs to be updated for sure..:BL maybe posting the release date of the new album would be interesting as well..LOL! ;)

AINAHS
07-28-2002, 02:04 PM
One of the more glaring errors is of course the misspelling of Eilleen - I have seen it misspelled many times but for Universal to do it is really disgraceful and shameful!!:(

AINAHS
07-28-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by FV
Did you notice that they alphabetized Shania under the "S"? :rolleyes: I like that idea of having such database of artists...The info needs to be updated for sure..:BL maybe posting the release date of the new album would be interesting as well..LOL! ;) They used the first names of all the artists in their alphabetizing process!:eek:

Vivashania
07-28-2002, 02:56 PM
>Did you notice that they alphabetized Shania under the "S"?<

That's a pretty common practice with celebrity lists. I do it that way myself. When mixing band bames, individuals and some of the weird names used, it's sometimes easier to treat them all as "brand names" and alpahebetize them like trademarks.