PDA

View Full Version : Possible song titles to "UP!"

Roger
09-08-2002, 03:14 PM
Here is an English translation of the Norwegian review of the tracks on "Up":

MONTREUX (Dagbladet): It's not much country and a lot of 80's sound on Shania Twains forthcoming album «Up!». Dagbladet has heard 11 of the songs that will appear on the album, that is set for release on November 18.

«I'm Gonna Getcha Good!»
The first single. A well-written, 80's smelling power pop song with a catchy chorus. Radio and video premiere on October 8.

«Not Just A Pretty Face»
A rare example of country clarity. A soft-sounding steel guitar is cruising under this mid-tempo and tasteful pop song.

«I'm Not In The Mood (To Say No)»
Classic Mutt Lange heavy rock in the intro. A few weird production tricks are obstructing this melodically smart song from being a safe hit.

«Juanita»
A rather boring melody dressed in a typically market-friendly latino arrangement.

«Ka-Ching»
Untypical Shania song. Start-stop, hip hop/r&b-inspired rhythm track and dramatic strings. About shopping.

«Up!»
Great single potential in this just short of three minute long title track, that combines a 50's pop country melody with synthetic 80's sound, heavy riffs and a great chorus.

«Forever And For Always»
A well-made classic rock ballad with laidback production and a beautiful, country-style chorus.

«I'm Jealous»
A power ballad with Bruce Hornsby-style piano parts.

«Waiter! Bring Me Water!»
Here Shania sounds like Britney's aunt. Computer game-like noises, oriental-inspired sound, but no hit song.

«Nah!»
A song that sounds a lot like ABBA, with a chorus with a lot of words and a nice «na na na» lift at the end.

«Thank You Baby! (For Makin' Someday Come So Soon»:
A straight forward pop song that might as well could have come out in 1986.

Roger

cbspock
09-08-2002, 03:16 PM
I am still going to be a "Doubting Thomas" until Up! is in my hands.

Also, why would Shania be looking back on the 80's for music styling? The one good thing, I like music from the 80's.

Anyone know what that Norweigen reporter's creditials are? Has he ever reviewed other music? Has he in the past been pro- or Anti-Shania???

-Chris

Roger
09-08-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by cbspock
Where is it from?? You spend all of the day running it through the computer???

I am still going to be a "Doubting Thomas" until Up! is in my hands.

Also, why would Shania be looking back on the 80's for music styling? The one good thing, I like music from the 80's.

Anyone know what that Norweigen reporter's creditials are? Has he ever reviewed other music?

-Chris

Chris, check your private email. I am not at liberty to answer all questions publicly. Yes, this whole thing could be a hoax. If so, it is a good one. I usually don't fool easily. This review has the ring of truth to me. IMO these song titles do sound like something Shania would come up with.

One thing is for sure, all the new songs will soon be known and then we'll see whether this was a hoax. I think it best to present it to our members and let them judge. My guess is, after the long Shania drought, people will actually enjoy the speculation! Anticipation is half the fun!!

Roger

AINAHS
09-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Thanks Roger for obtaining and posting this translation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

AINAHS
09-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Roger

Chris, check your private email. I am not at liberty to answer all questions publicly. Yes, this whole thing could be a hoax. If so, it is a good one. I usually don't fool easily. This review has the ring of truth to me. IMO these song titles do sound like something Shania would come up with.

One thing is for sure, all the new songs will soon be known and then we'll see whether this was a hoax. I think it best to present it to our members and let them judge. My guess is, after the long Shania drought, people will actually enjoy the speculation! Anticipation is half the fun!!

Roger If this is a hoax I will be a monkey's uncle!!!!!!!!!
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/chimp.gif
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/monk.gif
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/monkbum.gif

cbspock
09-08-2002, 03:39 PM

My guess is, after the long Shania drought, people will actually enjoy the speculation! Anticipation is half the fun!!

Roger

Well, it is not fun getting partiail information that you can't tell what is true, what is a lie, having the record company announce the release, and then take it back. I could go on..lol :p

It would be a lot more fun if there was an offical press release from Shania.

-Chris

cbspock
09-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS
If this is a hoax I will be a monkey's uncle!!!!!!!!!

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/monkbum.gif

You sure do like that dancing monkey don't you...lol

-Chris

AINAHS
09-08-2002, 03:42 PM

Well, it is not fun getting partiail information that you can't tell what is true, what is a lie, having the record company announce the release, and then take it back. I could go on..lol :p

It would be a lot more fun if there was an offical press release from Shania.

-Chris Chris - I agree with you my friend but we cannot have our cake and eat it this time so keep your chin and spirits up and enjoy this golden trove of what appears to be factual info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

cbspock
09-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Chris - I agree with you my friend but we cannot have our cake and eat it this time so keep your chin and spirits up and enjoy this golden trove of what appears to be factual info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Like I said, I will wait til the CD is in my hands to get excited, becuase right now, I don't see much to get excited over.

Also, since she is doing interviews, why hasn't this reached a more legitimate source.

-Chris

kirppu
09-08-2002, 04:00 PM
Weren´t there a lot more journalists about? Are they saving their pre-review closer to the release date?

Thank you Roger for the translation. :)

AINAHS
09-08-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by kirppu
Weren´t there a lot more journalists about? Are they saving their pre-review closer to the release date?

Thank you Roger for the translation. :) From what was posted in the other thread yes there were and my guess is the other reporters are feeling scooped now cuz they did not foresee the Norwegian getting his review put into good understandable English and all over the Web so rapidly if at all.

Wanna bet a bunch more interviews come out this coming week?:D

Thanks Chris for putting this where it belongs:)

cbspock
09-08-2002, 04:52 PM

Wanna bet a bunch more interviews come out this coming week?:D

I just hope they are in ENGLISH, so we don't have to rely on things getting messed up in translation.

A song about Shopping, and Shania singing like Britney's Aunt...UGH!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( :( Spock is not happy. :(

-Chris

AINAHS
09-08-2002, 04:54 PM

I just hope they are in ENGLISH, so we don't have to rely on things getting messed up in translation.

A song about Shopping, and Shania singing like Britney's Aunt...UGH!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( :( Spock is not happy. :(

-Chris :eek:

We have been reading that here - between, above and below the lines, eh?:D

cbspock
09-08-2002, 04:55 PM
:eek:

We have been reading that here - between, above and below the lines, eh?:D

LOL :p

I hope the songs are better than their titles.

-Chris

kirppu
09-08-2002, 05:00 PM

-Chris eeeeh, wait till you hear the cd yourself Chris. How many times have you agreed with a music review? :rolleyes:
It is like movie reviews...

I´ll wait till I hear the songs myself to judge what I like and if there are songs I would not care for. With 19 songs, there is a chance a few of those might exist ;)

Btw: All the 80´s references.....I just looooove the 80´s pop music :D

Roger
09-08-2002, 05:19 PM

-Chris

About the shopping thing, here is what I have learned after 36 years of marriage. My wife and all her friends LOVE shopping!! They love it as an activity. They linger over it. They discuss items for sale avidly. I, on the other hand, like all my male friends with the possible exception of one, hate shopping. I try to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible. I do not enjoy it. I get no thrill out of acquiring more stuff (unless of course it is CDs, and major purshases like a car, a camera). Hmm, I guess the difference is, I like shopping for a very small number of specific purchases but do not enjoy the activity of shopping per se.

Now Shania has always written her songs very much from the perspective of a woman (naturally), e.g. how a man/woman relationship should go (Outta Here, IYWTTHAsk), modern freedoms (MIFLAW). So it is quite believable Shania would sing about an activity that so many women enjoy. Now if she does it with the same rapier satire that she did HIH, I as a mere male can enjoy it too!

Roger

cbspock
09-08-2002, 05:28 PM

About the shopping thing, here is what I have learned after 36 years of marriage. My wife and all her friends LOVE shopping!! They love it as an activity. They linger over it. They discuss items for sale avidly. I, on the other hand, like all my male friends with the possible exception of one, hate shopping. I try to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible. I do not enjoy it. I get no thrill out of acquiring more stuff (unless of course it is CDs, and major purshases like a car, a camera). Hmm, I guess the difference is, I like shopping for a very small number of specific purchases but do not enjoy the activity of shopping per se.

Now Shania has always written her songs very much from the perspective of a woman (naturally), e.g. how a man/woman relationship should go (Outta Here, IYWTTHAsk), modern freedoms (MIFLAW). So it is quite believable Shania would sing about an activity that so many women enjoy. Now if she does it with the same rapier satire that she did HIH, I as a mere male can enjoy it too!

Roger

Putting it that way, it makes sense. Now, how do explain "Waiter! Bring Me Water":....lol

-Chris

kirppu
09-08-2002, 05:34 PM
Now, how do explain "Waiter! Bring Me Water":....lol

-Chris :LMAO

The name does make one wonder :D

AINAHS
09-08-2002, 05:39 PM

Roger ...and just think - with the spotlight on SHOPPING she may make it extremely fashionable and enjoyable once again for both sexes and send the world economy into the stratosphere again and boost the stock markets to where they should be and get all our lousy portfolios back up to speed again and and ................................:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D :D :D

Webber
09-08-2002, 05:45 PM
Could someone get a translation of the entire article not just the review of UP!

eg tror ikke det er realistisk å slå mine egne salgstall. Det blir vanskelig å gjenta denne suksessen, sier Shania Twain til Dagbladet.

Det er litt av en suksess Shania Twain skal følge opp. Den 37 år gamle kanadiske dama ble den suverent mestselgende kvinnelige artisten i verden. Hennes forrige plate «Come On Over», som først ble sluppet i USA i 1997, har alene solgt 34 millioner over hele verden, 19 millioner i USA og voldsomme 270000 i Norge.

- Fornuftig kjøp
- Det eneste målet jeg har hatt, er å lage ei plate som er verdt å kjøpe. Folk skal føle at de har gjort et fornuftig kjøp når de skaffer seg min nye plate, sier Shania Twain, som i august i fjor ble hun mor til lille Eja.

Guttungens far er den suksessrike tungrockprodusenten Robert John «Mutt» Lange, som også er mannen bak Shania Twains rekordknusende popcountrysound. Sammen bor de i et svært slott av et hus i nærheten av Montreux ved Genhve-sjøen. Lange har også produsert den nye plata «Up!».

- Jeg nektet å fly mens jeg var gravid, så vi reiste i stedet rundt i Europa med tog og bil, skrev låter, leide studioer og fant musikere vi ville jobbe med, sier Shania Twain til Dagbladet.

Spilt inn «på veien»
Om ikke «Up!» kommer til å bryte Shania Twains salgsrekorder, har hun benyttet seg av et rekordartet antall studioer og musikere. Plata er nærmest spilt inn «på veien», i Irland, Tyskland, Italia, Østerrike og Frankrike, samt i Karibia og India, både mens hun var gravid og etter fødselen.

- Vi hadde med Eja til Karibia, hvor han fikk svømme i havet og kose seg. Jeg spilte inn vokalen på plata først etter fødselen, så han var med i studio. Han sov mens jeg sang, og så passet jeg på ham innimellom opptakene, forklarer den stolte mor.

- Hva har all reisingen hatt å si for plata?

- Det er en måte å holde seg musikalsk frisk på. Jeg vil ikke stagnere i en bestemt stil, og streber etter å være unik og original, sier Shania Twain.

Roger
09-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Webber
Could someone get a translation of the entire article not just the review of UP!

Actually, I don't think I can get a translation for the rest. You have a couple of Norwegians, don't you, on the forums? Maybe you could put them to work.

Roger

Webber
09-08-2002, 06:16 PM
This is what a member from Norway posted at the shaniaforums:

She says she don't think she can repeat the success from her COO album,and that her only goal was to make an album which was worth byuing.The album is almost recorded "at the road" in Ireland,Germany,Italy,Austria,France and Karibia and India while she was pregnant and after her giving birth to Eja.
She also says she wants to be unique and original,which she IS of course

Well she says she didn't want to fly while she was pregnant so they travelled around Europe by train and a car,wrote songs rented studios and find musicians they wanted to work with.

talkalot24
09-08-2002, 09:18 PM
I LOVE most of the titles. A song about shopping? A song about feeling like a woman? Not much difference there.... :)

The columnist seems to like most of the songs-- with the exception of maybe 2 or 3.

cbspock
09-08-2002, 09:31 PM
From the Shania forums...a complete track listing????

http://www.shaniaforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11809

Omg! New News!!
1. Up!
2. I'm Gonna Getcha (Good)
3. Thank You Baby! (For Making Someday Come So Soon)
4. Not Just Another Pretty Face
5. Juanita
6. Forever And For Always
7. Ka-Ching
8. I'm Not In The Mood (To Say No)
9. Shouda Wouda Coulda
10. I'm Jealous
11. Waiter! Bring Me Water
12. Knock 'Em Down
13. Nah!
14. Marry Me, Baby!
15. Tomorrow
16. No Means Yes
17. Blah! Blah! Blah!
18. Her Story
19. The End Of Us

Okay, My vocal teacher here in San Francisco California has people he knows at Shanias Record label, he won't tell me where he got this .. but he has said he has heard 2 new shania songs, her first single "Im gonna getcha", and he says it has an 80's sounding beat, but its a really nice pop song. and he said he heard "Her Story", its about a wife in an abusive relationship and no one believes her.

Okay guys pleaseeee TRUST me on this one, when i get new info ill let you know! but trust me on it okay .. i wont let u guys down!!

Time to see what I can get outta Mercury.

-Chris

Jud
09-08-2002, 10:01 PM
You'll see, it's sounds like Shania!
Anyway, I don't understand the buzz about the titles.
Give the album(music and lyrics) a chance!
And as I understand what was written, the norwegian article was positive about half of the songs, without even hearing all of it.
And why you let to critics influence your view on the album of Shania&Mutt, before you actually heared it?!
Trust them! Belive in their talent!
Now from this one can see, what a hard and challenging situation Shania&Mutt are. It's almost a no win situation. The expectations are very high, the world changed, the music changed and they've changed, and they must reinvent themselfes. Even can be, that this album is better than COO, yet wont have the same success.
So I don't know, what will be, but I'm sure, that it will be a great album, based on Shania&Mutt's standard.

Roger
09-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Jud
You'll see, it's sounds like Shania!
Anyway, I don't understand the buzz about the titles.
Give the album(music and lyrics) a chance!
And as I understand what was written, the norwegian article was positive about half of the songs, without even hearing all of it.
And why you let to critics influence your view on the album of Shania&Mutt, before you actually heared it?!
Trust them! Belive in their talent!
Now from this one can see, what a hard and challenging situation Shania&Mutt are. It's almost a no win situation. The expectations are very high, the world changed, the music changed and they've changed, and they must reinvent themselfes. Even can be, that this album is better than COO, yet wont have the same success.
So I don't know, what will be, but I'm sure, that it will be a great album, based on Shania&Mutt's standard.

I'm sure the album will be great too Jud!

But boy oh boy!! If one of the songs is really entitled "No Means Yes", Shania had better have a good explanation! That is reputedly the anthem of the male chauvinist pig, isn't it? Maybe Shania is out to whack this type of man. If so, I can't argue with the message but I am so sick of anti-men sentiments from women! I truly hope Shania isn't going to jump on that bandwagon. Okay, Okay, I'm getting way ahead of myself here. We don't even know this really is one of the titles.

Roger

Roger
09-08-2002, 10:51 PM
From the Shania forums...a complete track listing????

http://www.shaniaforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11809

Omg! New News!!
1. Up!
5. Juanita
7. Ka-Ching
9. Shouda Wouda Coulda
10. I'm Jealous
12. Knock 'Em Down
13. Nah!
14. Marry Me, Baby!
15. Tomorrow
16. No Means Yes
17. Blah! Blah! Blah!
18. Her Story
19. The End Of Us

Okay, My vocal teacher here in San Francisco California has people he knows at Shanias Record label, he won't tell me where he got this .. but he has said he has heard 2 new shania songs, her first single "Im gonna getcha", and he says it has an 80's sounding beat, but its a really nice pop song. and he said he heard "Her Story", its about a wife in an abusive relationship and no one believes her.

Okay guys pleaseeee TRUST me on this one, when i get new info ill let you know! but trust me on it okay .. i wont let u guys down!!

Time to see what I can get outta Mercury.

-Chris

Well, I don't know if these titles are real but, again, they sound like Shania. I love title no. 9! It's interesting to look at title no. 8 and then title no. 16. No wonder men get confused!:confused: Then there's title no. 14. That's one to scare a guy for sure!:BL

If these titles are for real, I think they are going to be a lot of fun! If these titles are not for real, someone has had some fun at our expense!

Roger

cbspock
09-08-2002, 11:00 PM

Well, I don't know if these titles are real but, again, they sound like Shania. I love title no. 9! It's interesting to look at title no. 8 and then title no. 16. No wonder men get confused!:confused: Then there's title no. 14. That's one to scare a guy for sure!:BL

If these titles are for real, I think they are going to be a lot of fun! If these titles are not for real, someone has had some fun at our expense!

Roger

LOL!!! :D

This is turning into an X-File..."The Truth is Out there...."..lol :p

-Chris

Vivashania
09-08-2002, 11:12 PM
Maybe Eja is co-writer of Blah! Blah! Blah! His first "hook"! :D

cbspock
09-08-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Vivashania

LOL!!! HEY1 :baby http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/rotfl.gif http://www.stopstart.btinternet.co.uk/sm/gaga.gif

or track...13...lol Or there maybe another explanation to track, 16. all babies think no means yes....lol

-Chris

Redhead Bee
09-08-2002, 11:23 PM
First Nah!, and then Blah! Blah! Blah!? come on! pleeeese someone find out if this is really true :confused: i have lots of faith in our shania but Waiter! Bring Me Water kinda tests it a bit....:p but anyway, i am very excited and it's almost time for us to hear the first single so yay!!!

sonal

Jud
09-09-2002, 12:35 AM
Roger, slow down your horses about the interpretation of "No Means Yes!
Did you know, that in Bulgary, when you're nod with your head, it means no, and the opposite?
So technically, No means Yes:p

cbspock
09-09-2002, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Redhead Bee
i have lots of faith in our shania but Waiter! Bring Me Water kinda tests it a bit....:p
sonal

More like Blah! Blah! Blah! does, but I know how you feel. If these are true, have Shania and Mutt lost all sense of reality?

-Chris

Jud
09-09-2002, 06:59 AM
Chris, I think you take this titles too much serious. And anyway you have no idea what really those songs about.
It's an album for entertaining and not a PHD of rocket-sience.
Think about for example Radio-ga-ga of the Queen.

AINAHS
09-09-2002, 07:12 AM
I woke up this morning and first read this track listing on the forums and then came here to see this thread.

I am confident it is authentic as 11 of the track titles jive with the Norwegian article.

We are precipitous to judge what the titles mean or what the sound is til we hear the music, or read Shania's own descriptions of the songs.

I think the cat will be out of the bag on lots of UP! this week, given the recent developments.

Redhead Bee
09-09-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Jud

It's an album for entertaining and not a PHD of rocket-sience.

of course it's for entertainment and not a phd thesis - but i don't know, for me in the past, shania's music and lyrics have brought strength and inspired me to do a lot of things...from this album if all i can get is inspiration to ask the waiter to get me some water (which i do quite well in any case:D ) then it's going to be very disappointing....

i hope i am proven wrong and have to eat my words and am completely ashamed of doubting shania when the album comes out - i really do!!! but till then, things are definitely not looking up for up! in my mind....and i don't think chris is taking the titles too seriously...i feel his distress is justified.

sonal

Roger
09-09-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Jud
Roger, slow down your horses about the interpretation of "No Means Yes!
Did you know, that in Bulgary, when you're nod with your head, it means no, and the opposite?
So technically, No means Yes:p

LOL!! I defer to your expertise on that one, Jud!

Roger

Jud
09-09-2002, 08:37 AM
I still think, you're judging too quickly. Of course, it's maybe your own expectations, and I have less problem, because I didn't really had special expectations, more than a great album.
I'm sure, that there will be many very inspiring song on this album too.

And about Blah Blah Blah, I think, it's a very ordinary thing, I'm reading, hearing and speaking a tons of blah-blah per day.

Roger
09-09-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Jud
I still think, you're judging too quickly. Of course, it's maybe your own expectations, and I have less problem, because I didn't really had special expectations, more than a great album.
I'm sure, that there will be many very inspiring song on this album too.

And about Blah Blah Blah, I think, it's a very ordinary thing, I'm reading, hearing and speaking a tons of blah-blah per day.

LOL!! Some people might think there is too much blah blah blah on this board!

Roger

FV
09-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Vivashania
LOL!:BL you never know...!

Redhead Bee
09-09-2002, 09:29 AM
pleeeeese will someone at mercury confirm something soon...i am very excited to hear the new music!!!! and they should tell us something now!

sonal

talkalot24
09-09-2002, 10:21 AM
Guys,

I think some of you are getting worked up for nothing. There are what-- 3 or 4 titles (Nah; Blah!Blah!Blah!; and Waiter, Bring me Water) that you don't like? That's only 3 titles out of 19. The other titles sound like typical Shania titles to me. COO had its share of "fun" titles (Come On Over, TDIMM, HIH, MIFLAW, etc). Yes, it also had its slow, serious songs (YGAW, BEBT, YSTO, and FTMO). However, to me, judging just the titles, it sounds like UP! has its slow, serious songs, too (Thank You Baby, Forever and For Always, Tomorrow, Her Story)-- and possibly others.

I think if "Nah," "Blah!Blah!Blah," and "Waiter, Bring Me Water" weren't on there, then you guys wouldn't be getting down on the titles. Don't let 3 or 4 titles out of 19 give you a bad feeling about the album. Even if you don't like those 3 or 4 songs, that still leaves you 15-16 songs! :D

And this is just all speculation based on the titles; after you hear the song, "Waiter, Bring Me Water" may become your all-time favorite Shania song! You never know! :)

They are titles; you can't judge a song soley on its title. You can't always tell from the title alone if the song will be inspirational to you or not.

I'd be willing to bet that the songs you guys are worried about are no more fun or sillier than HIH, RTC, WHEN, etc. You guys don't have a problem with those songs-- so why a problem already with some of the potential new track titles? We knew Shania's album would have some fun, silly songs-- just like there will be some slow, serious songs.

There are so many doubting Shania-- it's surprising. This is Mutt and Shania we're talking about! I can't fathom those two releasing bad material! FAITH, baby-- have Faith! (Yes, I said the F-word! HEHE!)

rtcmi
09-09-2002, 10:28 AM

of course it's for entertainment and not a phd thesis - but i don't know, for me in the past, shania's music and lyrics have brought strength and inspired me to do a lot of things...from this album if all i can get is inspiration to ask the waiter to get me some water (which i do quite well in any case:D ) then it's going to be very disappointing....

i hope i am proven wrong and have to eat my words and am completely ashamed of doubting shania when the album comes out - i really do!!! but till then, things are definitely not looking up for up! in my mind....and i don't think chris is taking the titles too seriously...i feel his distress is justified.

sonal

You guys aren't alone. I feel just the way you do. And I'm starting to worry...............not to mention getting nervous about this. Why? Because for me, it's a representation of where music is headed. It doesn't look too good. I have more to worry about than any of you here! Especially with the direction of this album's content. If the Nashville music industry starts cloning women to sound like this, I may not feel so inspirational about music anymore......................But I suppose, that's when you've got to start being inventive.

Amanda

Jud
09-09-2002, 10:50 AM
Well, Amanda, you still don't know, what is the album's content.
Or did you red the lyrics?
Anyway, you don't have to go to this direction, and music is wide enough playground for everyone.

FV
09-09-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by talkalot24
after you hear the song, "Waiter, Bring Me Water" may become your all-time favorite Shania song! You never know! :)

Exactly! :BL

AINAHS
09-09-2002, 11:37 AM
I did not know we had nervous nellies here - some of the best songs of all time have nonsense titles - one of my favorites was Yakety-Yak by the Coasters - titles of tunes are meaningless in and of themselves.

Before expressing concerns let's hear the product.

Redhead Bee
09-09-2002, 11:45 AM
i think we should be allowed to have our opinions about the titles without being made to feel bad about doubting shania or mutt....yes we love their music, but that does not mean we blindly accept everything they might put out there...just because we're expressing doubt about a lot of these titles, doesn't make us any less ardent shania fans, nor does it mean we will support shania less...really, i think we should be allowed to express negative feelings too.

btw, i never thought any of the titles on either twim, or coo sounded strange the first time i heard them...as i said, i do hope i'm proven wrong and all of these become my favourite shania songs...but till anyhting is confirmed, i'm not happy.

sonal

AINAHS
09-09-2002, 11:54 AM
I have nothing against members expressing negative feelings or opinions - what concerns me is we have very little to base these on and it appears we might be very premature in voicing them but to each his own.

Jud
09-09-2002, 12:07 PM
sonal, no one thinks that you're less ardent fans, and sure, you can have your opinion, positive or negative one.
I understand too, that the concers come , because you wanna Shania to succeed. That's why I'm saying, don't judge only according the titles.

And that's why I think, that Shania&Mutt are in a short of no-win situation. It will be very hard to make everyone happy, and deliver a great album, when you have COO behind. It can be easily, that this album is a kinda transitional toward a new sound.
Or, maybe they thinking, that they have nothing to proove anymore, and trying some experiental songs. Who knows?
Weater we will like it or nor, they must go after their inner believe.

talkalot24
09-09-2002, 12:29 PM
Sonal,

Yes, you have every right to express your opinion on the titles. I in no way meant to convey the message that you are less ardent fans for doubting the titles-- that is certainly not the case and I'm sorry if that is the way I made it sound. I'm just trying to get you guys to look at it from another viewpoint because I don't want any Shania fans worried about the album. I want everyone to be excited! :)

Just curious-- how many of the titles do you think sound strange? How many do you not like?

FV
09-09-2002, 02:28 PM
The 11 song tracklist is now on countrystars.com...but it seems that Neil Haslop has a different opinion on the single release date....:rolleyes: I just hope it is a typo....:BL

http://www.countrystars.com/index.html?/news/haislop/n-update.html

SHANIA ALBUM DETAILS

Recently the title of Shania's first single was revealed, 'I'm Gonna Getcha Good!" Now, more of the songs titles contained on her upcoming album, UP!, are available.

"Not Just a Pretty Face"
"I'm Not In the Mood (To Say No)"
"Juanita"
"Ka-Ching"
"Up!"
"Forever and For Always"
"I'm Jealous"
"Waiter! Bring Me Water!
"Nah!"
"Thank You Baby! (For Makin' Someday Come So Soon)"

Those are just some of the 19 cuts on the CD that will be a double disc set including the main album and a disc of selected re-mixes of some of the songs as a bonus to the fans. Album is still tentatively scheduled for Nov. 12th, single comes Dec. 23rd. lol!

kirppu
09-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by FV
Album is still tentatively scheduled for Nov. 12th, single comes Dec. 23rd. lol! LOL, a new strategy to market the album! :p ;) :BL

"still tentatively scheduled" How convincing.. :rolleyes:

Stan
09-09-2002, 04:03 PM
I just happened to see these posted on the ST Forums. Does anyone know if these are valid???

As posted by Forums member, Glitter:
"
1. Up!
5. Juanita
7. Ka-Ching
9. Shouda Wouda Coulda
10. I'm Jealous
12. Knock 'Em Down
13. Nah!
14. Marry Me, Baby!
15. Tomorrow
16. No Means Yes
17. Blah! Blah! Blah!
18. Her Story
19. The End Of Us

And quoted by Glitter,
"Okay, My vocal teacher here in San Francisco California has people he knows at Shanias Record label, he won't tell me where he got this .. but he has said he has heard 2 new shania songs, her first single "Im gonna getcha", and he says it has an 80's sounding beat, but its a really nice pop song. and he said he heard "Her Story", its about a wife in an abusive relationship and no one believes her. "

Stan
:confused:

AINAHS
09-09-2002, 04:09 PM
GAC seems to screw things up almost as bad as Mercury.

AINAHS
09-09-2002, 04:11 PM
this is already posted in the UP! forum on the initial Norwegian thread:D

Stan
09-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Thanks!! I guess computer is too slow!! :rolleyes:
Stan

DOC BILL
09-09-2002, 04:34 PM
Titles from songs commonly come from the chorus section of the song but really can come from anywhere in the song (even the opening line)and as such may not mean a dang thing about the song itself in the end. Bottomline here-let's just have fun with this whole thing-we deserve that much!. We'll have plenty of time(3-5 years I suspect) to do serious analysis of each song ad nauseum later! LOL DOC

AINAHS
09-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by DOC BILL
Titles from songs commonly come from the chorus section of the song but really can come from anywhere in the song (even the opening line)and as such may not mean a dang thing about the song itself in the end. Bottomline here-let's just have fun with this whole thing-we deserve that much!. We'll have plenty of time(3-5 years I suspect) to do serious analysis of each song ad nauseum later! LOL DOC You betcha - well said!:D

Shaniafan2000
09-09-2002, 05:48 PM
This was posted at Countrystars.com. I can not believe that this would be posted without any confirmation. I am with Cbspock on this one, about the titles of the song, i hope they are not true because the names do not sound that good , and i know i will wait for the music to judge it when i hear it, but i'm looking forward to up, but i don't think sites like countrystars should be posting this "supposed track listing". I think it does not do anything to help and can only hinder Shania and "Up!", the album title is all we know for sure at this point. The song titles and remix cd are all speculation at this point. Anyway here's the posting and note when the single suppossedly comes out, I got a hoot at that even though i know it is a typo :

"Recently the title of Shania's first single was revealed, 'I'm Gonna Getcha Good!" Now, more of the songs titles contained on her upcoming album, UP!, are available.

"Not Just a Pretty Face"
"Juanita"
"Ka-Ching"
"Up!"
"Forever and For Always"
"I'm Jealous"
"Waiter! Bring Me Water!
"Nah!"

Those are just some of the 19 cuts on the CD that will be a double disc set including the main album and a disc of selected re-mixes of some of the songs as a bonus to the fans. Album is still tentatively scheduled for Nov. 12th, single comes Dec. 23rd. "

talkalot24
09-09-2002, 06:20 PM
Surely you all like these:
"Not Just a Pretty Face"
"Up!"
"Forever and For Always"
"I'm Jealous"

You all like these titles, don't you? :)

Marco
09-09-2002, 06:28 PM
MAN! What´s this: Shouda Wouda Could :confused: :eek:
...............and this: Blah! Blah! Blah! :eek: :confused:
.....................also: Ka-Ching :confused: :eek:

I can´t believe this are Shania´s TITLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds to me like music for children! :(

Marco

cbspock
09-09-2002, 06:36 PM
This was posted under the Up! forum..which I am moving this to.

-Chris

talkalot24
09-09-2002, 06:42 PM
They are just 3-5 songs out of 19-- so don't worry! :) Do you like the song titles I have listed in my post above yours?

By the way, some song titles from TWIM and COO aren't exactly serious titles-- and I bet you like them. :)
Originally posted by Marco
MAN! What´s this: Shouda Wouda Could :confused: :eek:
...............and this: Blah! Blah! Blah! :eek: :confused:

I can´t believe this are Shania´s TITLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds to me like music for children! :(

Marco

cbspock
09-09-2002, 06:46 PM
Well, I have this feeling all the song titles I hate and can't stand will probably be my favorite songs..lol {I hope}.

These titles are pretty strange, i guess they just don't match what I thought she would do.

I still have a funny feeling about these titles.

-Chris

Marco
09-09-2002, 06:47 PM
yeah! I guess you´re right talkalot24, maybe I´m looking only at the worst part! lol!!! 19 - 3 = 16..... 16 songs can be also another COO! :D LOL!!!!!!!

see ya!

Marco

Bryce
09-09-2002, 06:52 PM

Putting it that way, it makes sense. Now, how do explain "Waiter! Bring Me Water":....lol

-Chris

Picture someone sitting alone in a restaurant waiting for their date to show. They have been there for a couple of hours. Deep down they know they have been stood up, but for some reason they are going to stay and wait a while longer just incase.

Bryce

P.S. If ya don't like the titles no one is forcing ya to buy the album.

talkalot24
09-09-2002, 07:03 PM
:)

There may be a few songs you don't like, but I bet you like most of them! :)
yeah! I guess you´re right talkalot24, maybe I´m looking only at the worst part! lol!!! 19 - 3 = 16..... 16 songs can be also another COO! :D LOL!!!!!!!

see ya!

Marco

cbspock
09-09-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Bryce

LOL :p

I am still going to get it, I want to hear the songs that go with the crazy titles. I am starting to get used to them.

-Chris

FV
09-09-2002, 07:59 PM
MAN! What´s this: Shouda Wouda Could
This title is actually the same title of a song that came out in the UK about 6 months ago...I think the artist singing it is Beverly Knights (?sp??)

[b] Blah! Blah! Blah! :eek: :confused:
Marco,
Blah, Blah, Blah..is something that Americans would say when they refer to talking without any real meaning or sense..a sort of time wasting situation...blah, blah, blah...no need for the details type of thing...
Ka-Ching is supposed to be when there is a sort of ring-noise like with old cashier registers in stores..when you go up to pay for your shopping, the store representative rings the price...Ka-Ching is the noise so to speak...
I am just saying this so maybe you have more information on the possible meaning of the titles..:) of course Shania is the only one who can explain the songs..LOL!

cbspock
09-09-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by FV

Marco,
Blah, Blah, Blah

It is also what I hear when someone :rolleyes: gets all critical of Shania..lol :p It is also how the teacher talked on Peanuts...lol

Maybe Shania got the idea from watching an old episode of Star Trek, called "Miri". The onlies would chant this when the "grups" [grown-ups] talked to them.

For all the non-trekkers...here is a link to the episode...
http://startrek.daviestrek.com/tos/tos1/miri.htm :) :p

-Chris

Redhead Bee
09-09-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by talkalot24
Sonal,

I'm just trying to get you guys to look at it from another viewpoint because I don't want any Shania fans worried about the album. I want everyone to be excited! :)

Just curious-- how many of the titles do you think sound strange? How many do you not like?

oh i am very excited!!! and you're right, any worry i might have is only because i don't want anything bad for her career....i've been waiting for this music for reaaaaally long now, like all of you and i'm extremely excited to hear it. Heck, if these are indeed the titles, maybe if my interview request with her for the magazine i write for actually happens, i'll have a lot of fun asking her where exactly each came from :)

go shania!!! and hurry up universal and make something official!!

sonal

talkalot24
09-09-2002, 10:21 PM
:)

Yes, something official would be NICE! :)

Hey, you might not like 2-3 songs, but that still leaves 16-17! :D

oh i am very excited!!! and you're right, any worry i might have is only because i don't want anything bad for her career....i've been waiting for this music for reaaaaally long now, like all of you and i'm extremely excited to hear it. Heck, if these are indeed the titles, maybe if my interview request with her for the magazine i write for actually happens, i'll have a lot of fun asking her where exactly each came from :)

go shania!!! and hurry up universal and make something official!!

sonal

cbspock
09-09-2002, 10:27 PM
MAN! What´s this: [b] Shouda Wouda Coulda
Marco

Actually, Warrior had some funny lyirics for this one.

-Chris

Sheri
09-10-2002, 12:51 AM
shoulda woulda coulda is a very common phrase, too. I think it's a GREAT title!

Jud
09-10-2002, 06:36 AM
Suddenly some words get popular, here an article about Cha-Ching - in the music business but not connected to Shania. This is the title: "Cha-Ching! Hear the Cash Register Ring."

http://www.radioandrecords.com

benperkins
09-10-2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by FV
This title is actually the same title of a song that came out in the UK about 6 months ago...I think the artist singing it is Beverly Knights (?sp??) [Ben help me here....is it the name of the girl singing it?]

Yeah I belive it is :)

LOL I think Shania must have been reading some of my posts on the forums, I just the phase Blah Blah BLAH!!! alot when I'm furstrated :eek: :p

Hope the 80s sound is true :D I love 80s music :D!!!

Ben

AINAHS
09-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Hmmm......my thought at the moment is some of these titles are banal cliches by now....what is UP! ???:confused:

byrdman
09-10-2002, 10:40 AM
First, I understand that these titles are from unofficial sources only. But at the same time, most people believe that they are accurate.
Second, it seems like there are some mixed feelings here on the Message board about the quality of the titles.

If they are correct, I have great faith in Shania and her ability to use a phrase and coin a title!:D I'm sure the titles will be perfect!

Titles like " Man! I Feel Like A Woman " and "Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You) " might have sounded a little strange before actually hearing the song.

It's hard to believe only two more weeks!:D (And is that official?:OH )

Al

Marco
09-10-2002, 10:42 AM
:) thanks FV, Chris, Sheri, Talkalot24... for the explanitions... it sounds better for me now! LOL!...

Some of this are english expressions not well known here in Brazil!

Thanks a lot!...

Marco

AINAHS
09-11-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Shaniafan2000
""Ka-Ching"
I thought the expression was spelled "Cha-Ching". Is it generally spelled both ways? Anyone know?:confused:

Tee
09-11-2002, 11:24 AM
I have been reading the posts on the board for the last couple of days and trying to digest all your responses to Shania's new album. I would like to share with you what I think. At first I was a little scepticle about the titles, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought, YEAH that's our Shania. I like them!!! No as for the review and the author saying that it had more of an 80's feel, this could be that what they were listening to was the international version. We all know that country doesn't really fly over seas to well. The other countries seem to like more of a dance mix or rocky type music. I could be wrong here, and that would be a first (LOL),:D but really it is possible that what they were listening to was not the US versions.

AINAHS
09-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Tee
I have been reading the posts on the board for the last couple of days and trying to digest all your responses to Shania's new album. I would like to share with you what I think. At first I was a little scepticle about the titles, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought, YEAH that's our Shania. I like them!!! No as for the review and the author saying that it had more of an 80's feel, this could be that what they were listening to was the international version. We all know that country doesn't really fly over seas to well. The other countries seem to like more of a dance mix or rocky type music. I could be wrong here, and that would be a first (LOL),:D but really it is possible that what they were listening to was not the US versions. Sounds likely.

Bob
09-14-2002, 03:37 AM
Well, you folks have covered the ground fairly well. And it's an area outside my expertise. But as Doc knows well, that never stopped me from trying to "help."

So heres' my two cents worth.

I let my mind loose on the title "Waiter Bring Me Water." And it quickly came back with an idea and great potential for lyrics. That possibilty generated other variations on the theme. But it's 4:30am, I'm aging, and my memory has faded, so I can't tell y'all what it was. Further, I went back and looked at the first Norwegian interpretation. That didn't seem to fit and now my short term store memory is totally washed out. Aren't I a great help? ID1 :kiss

Bob
09-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Bryce

Picture someone sitting alone in a restaurant waiting for their date to show. They have been there for a couple of hours. Deep down they know they have been stood up, but for some reason they are going to stay and wait a while longer just incase.

Bryce

That's good Bryce,

I think You're getting warm.

My memory for a solution washed out for a while last night. But I knew the idea was still lurking around somewhere. I was able to retrieve it after I signed off, and it was still with me when I arose this morning.

My concept could be way off, but until proven otherwise by the actual lyrics, it has a wide range of possible fits for the title.

Waiter! Bring Me Water created for me, an image of a person choking. That could be over any number of things, including the single scenario Bryce cited. Choking is what we do while eating and encounter surprise or emotional overload of any type. Songs are about strong feelings. Choking is one good symbol of that.

On the other hand, Eilleen is very original and it's not impossible for her to use that song for almost anything, including her being a hot tamale gagging on a hot tamale.