PDA

View Full Version : Look out, country - Shania's coming back!

AINAHS
09-10-2002, 08:19 PM
Look out, country - Shania's coming back!

Final few moments in the spotlight for singers such as Carolyn Dawn Johnson

John P. McLaughlin
The Province

Tuesday, September 10, 2002

Shania Twain will probably be the one collecting all the accolades at next year's Canadian Country Music Awards.

I wonder if Carolyn Dawn Johnson took a really big apprehensive gulp last night at the Canadian Country Music awards when Anne Murray was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Kenny Rogers introed the video portion of the tribute to Our Annie, she the First Lady of Canadian song and holder of four Grammys, 25 Junos, the Order of Canada and a 16 golf handicap, when who should appear on screen but Montreux, Switzerland's best-looking saddle tramp, Shania Twain.

Twain, of course, said all the right things about Murray but I wonder if Johnson even heard any of it. Carolyn Dawn, the former White Rocker and current Nashvillian, has been the deserving darling of the CCMAs the last couple of years -- she won five awards last year and three more last night -- while Twain has been off the road, off the radio and off having baby boy Eja.

But that's all about to change and Johnson knows it.

This November Twain will release her first new album since Come On Over put a death grip on the country charts five years ago.

For Johnson and the other Canadian country women -- heck, for country artists of either gender everywhere -- this won't be so much the 900 kilogram gorilla rolling over as the 900 tonne speeding freight train bearing down as the conductor buffs her nails.

Billboard.com recently conducted a poll asking which of the major country albums due this fall is most anticipated and Twain won handily with a 49 per cent count against the likes of the Dixie Chicks, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw.

According to my Internet snooping, the Mercury/Nashville album will be called UP!, apparently includes 19 cuts, some of them remastered dance mixes because -- of course -- this thing's going to cross over, and may or may not be on two discs.

The first single is called "I'm Gonna Getcha Good" -- I can almost hear it already -- and is to be released digitally at midnight Sept. 23 because that is how superstars do it. Expect a huge -- and I mean, massive -- and I mean gargantuan -- promotional push. (By the way, you can beat the rush and pre-order the album on Amazon.com.)

This is the woman, after all, who was named the top selling artist of the past 10 years of any genre by Soundscan, the people who measure actual sales at the point of purchase. Come On Over alone has notched more than 19 million copies sold.

Luke Lewis, head of Mercury/Nashville, has heard some of Up! and claims it's better than anything Twain has turned in before.

I mean, how is our little girl from White Rock -- let alone Terri Clark and Lisa Brokop -- supposed to compete with that at next year's awards show?

I say in 2003 we call it the CCMANCSWPWEFSUA (Canadian Country Music Awards Not Counting Shania Who Probably Wouldn't Even Friggin' Show Up Anyway) show.

http://www.canada.com/search/site/story.asp?id=1A0793DE-EB32-49C2-8924-8FB8797ACC8F

cbspock
09-10-2002, 08:51 PM
I posted this in the general forum.....

http://www.shania-twain.org/mb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5936

Continue discussion there...

-Chris