PDA

View Full Version : UP! Album Reviews By Critics

AINAHS
10-13-2002, 08:37 PM
Do you anticipate, given what we know to date about the music and background of UP!, that Shania will get good, bad or average reviews from the critics?

From all I have seen and heard so far my feeling is her album will be panned much in the same vein as COO was. (She will of cause get her retribution on these critics by selling more albums than COO and reaching news levels of achievement in sales worldwide, and with this momentum acquire many new fans and additional mega sales of her past 3 albums.) JMHO.

FV
10-13-2002, 08:44 PM
It is a very difficult question.....I would say that the fans and the international critics will likely love the new album...especially in Europe...in North America I think it will have to do with the split between the country version and the pop version....but I am expecting the big music magazines to support and enjoy the album a lot...:BL My dream is to see Shania lead the new VH1 Diva show next May! :GL

cbspock
10-13-2002, 08:46 PM
I think this was brought up in a couple of other threads, but I would expect bad reviews. The Critics hate Shania. So expect COO style reviews, that attack Shania, and be little the music.

Like you said, Shania will be making these crtics eat some crow.

-Chris

AINAHS
10-13-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by cbspock
I think this was brought up in a couple of other threads, but I would expect bad reviews. The Critics hate Shania. So expect COO style reviews, that attack Shania, and be little the music.

Like you said, Shania will be making these crtics eat some crow.

-Chris They claim they don't eat crow - the commercials sales of an album they review means nothing to them (Although one critic I talked with today said he was baffled by the mega-sales success of COO, as I mentioned in reply to your whippin' boy thread a few minutes back).

Mebbe critics will reevaluate who and what Shania is and how she sold so many records and has so many fans in every corner of the earth before they belittle her and UP! Or mebbe the lyrics of "When" will apply!:D :D

I do recall when reading various COO reviews way back thinking that these critics have their heads up their butts and do not know good music from a hole in the ground!:D

cbspock
10-13-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS

I do recall when reading various COO reviews way back thinking that these critics have their heads up their butts and do not know good music from a hole in the ground!:D

I still think the same thing.

-Chris

Jud
10-13-2002, 11:28 PM
Divas Live is a great idea, I myself already thought about it.

About the critics, I'm too except mainly bad ones at first, like with COO, maybe less because some might learned something from that.

AINAHS
10-14-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Jud
Divas Live is a great idea, I myself already thought about it.

About the critics, I'm too except mainly bad ones at first, like with COO, maybe less because some might learned something from that. From what I am hearing and observing critics are critics and ignore sales and commercial potential and judge artist's music by very narrow criteria. Critics also never learn anything new - they do their same thing for their entire careers - they are very narrow-minded and regimented in their thought processes and have very little flexibility and they seem proud of the fact that no matter how many fans an artist has and how fervently devoted they are to the individual it does not matter one iota to them.

Bryce
10-14-2002, 06:43 AM
I have no intentions of reading what the critics have to say about UP, be it good or bad. I'll make my own decision. I don't need their help.

As far as I'm concerned critics are nothing more than wanna bees who couldn't make it. If they are such experts on what makes great music then why aren't they making it? Either as a singer, a song writer or a producer.

Bryce

cbspock
10-14-2002, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Bryce

As far as I'm concerned critics are nothing more than wanna bees who couldn't make it. If they are such experts on what makes great music then why aren't they making it? Either as a singer, a song writer or a producer.

Bryce

I agree! HEY1

-Chris

AINAHS
10-14-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Bryce
I have no intentions of reading what the critics have to say about UP, be it good or bad. I'll make my own decision. I don't need their help.

Bryce I do not know if you intended this as a rhetorical question or not but I will reply even though it is pretty obvious what the answer is. Music critics are critics because the love music and they do not have the talent or aptitude to do it themselves generally - surely there are some critics with some talent or aptitude to do that which they critique?

cbspock
10-14-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by AINAHS
I do not know if you intended this as a rhetorical question or not but I will reply even though it is pretty obvious what the answer is. Music critics are critics because the love music and they do not have the talent or aptitude to do it themselves generally - surely there are some critics with some talent or aptitude to do that which they critique?

Like?

I don't know much about Music critics, but one movie reviewer...
I know Roger Ebert wrote some horrible movie in the 70's or 80's. He does show knowledge of movie history, etc. One reason I do like his reviews is that he does take the "fun factor" into account.

Most music reviewers who critique Shania just blast her, as a person, and dismiss everything about her. I would like to see what the Ottawa Sun critic who reviewed "CRY" sys in their review of Up!. In that review, they did not slam Faith as a person, but took into account her past efforts and compared it to the latest, and it seemed pretty objective.

-Chris