-Chris

AINAHS
10-13-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by cbspock

What???? The lyrics are Shania's typical sense of humor.. :D

-Chris Oh.

Sheri
10-13-2002, 07:48 PM
They are!!! PURE Shania! Can't WAIT to hear the music that goes with these lyrics!

cbspock
10-13-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Sheri
They are!!! PURE Shania! Can't WAIT to hear the music that goes with these lyrics!

Wonder if the song has anything to do wth Mutt, he had some major "KA CHING" when they first met, now they both do...lol :D

-Chris

rtc
10-13-2002, 08:23 PM
I'm sorry guys, but I hate those lyrics! They sound so childish. It doesn't seem like any effort went into them. TWIM had better lyrics than that! JMO. :eek:

Amanda

AINAHS
10-13-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by cbspock

Wonder if the song has anything to do wth Mutt, he had some major "KA CHING" when they first met, now they both do...lol :D

-Chris I think they are poorer lately given the stock performance of Vivendi Universal.

AINAHS
10-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by rtc
I'm sorry guys, but I hate those lyrics! They sound so childish. It doesn't seem like any effort went into them. TWIM had better lyrics than that! JMO. :eek:

Amanda I am afraid I agree with you - that has been one of the critics main complaints about Shanias' works. They will sing that same refrain again I fear.

cbspock
10-13-2002, 08:32 PM
..and the problem is? I don't see one if it is a good song. What do you want her to write then? What was so complex about her other songs compared to these?

-Chris

AINAHS
10-13-2002, 09:48 PM
The critics have the problem with her lyrics - not I - I wrote some where here a time ago I do not even comprehend the lyrics many times - I just hear and love the songs generally, for their melody and sound and how they affect my heart and soul. I have favorite songs from the 50s and I could not for the life of me tell you the lyrics to but when I hear the tunes I love them all over again. The words to me and many like me are secondary. Critics think they are extremely important in evaluating a work.

Jud
10-13-2002, 09:50 PM
I'm agree with RTC. The worst lyrics from her so far. No witty text, no punchlines, just a big cliche in the end.
I'm hope the music will make it sound better.

cbspock
10-13-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Jud
I'm agree with RTC. The worst lyrics from her so far. No witty text, no punchlines, just a big cliche in the end.
I'm hope the music will make it sound better.

So, think this will be a turkey if it is released as a single?

-Chris

talkalot24
10-13-2002, 10:14 PM
You hate them. I like them! Different strokes for different folks, I guess. This is an uptempo song and most of Shania's fast songs use lyrics that aren't typically complex. It's a fun song!

The deeper, more meaningful lyrics are usually on the slower songs.

Shania knows what she is doing! :)

Besides, how would you expect a song named "Ka-Ching" to be deep and complex? I LOVE THE FAST SONGS because they are fun and exciting.
Originally posted by rtc

Amanda

Jud
10-13-2002, 10:15 PM
It's really depend on the music, but since it was on an IGGG single, I doubt it will be a single.

Talk I have to disagree with you, her fast songs so far have more complex lyrics than this one.

talkalot24
10-13-2002, 10:19 PM
I don't understand why some of you don't like the lyrics, especially if you like her other fast songs. I mean, the lyrics are just as "Deep" and "Complex" as the lyrics of the other fast songs. Perhaps you dislike it because of the use of the word "Ka-Ching?!?"

I think it's cool and like the message: Money doesn't buy happiness. She has a better time with a man without money than a rich man who is self-absorbed and has no time for her.

Jud
10-13-2002, 10:25 PM
Talk, the unswer is easy, as you said above, different strokes from different folks.
I don't hate them, but expected something else I guess.

AINAHS
10-13-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Jud
I'm hope the music will make it sound better. The music, the melody, the sound, her voice - they all combine to tell you if the tune is good or not - the lyrics in and of themselves tell us little other than that critics will pan them for reasons rtc mentioned. To get upset cuz some of us feel they are banal or childish is not productive or reasonable.

Do not prejudge Shania - wait til we hear the music :D :D

talkalot24
10-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Who's getting upset?
Originally posted by AINAHS
The music, the melody, the sound, her voice - they all combine to tell you if the tune is good or not - the lyrics in and of themselves tell us little other than that critics will pan them for reasons rtc mentioned. To get upset cuz some of us feel they are banal or childish is not productive or reasonable.

talkalot24
10-13-2002, 10:38 PM
Examples would be... ???
Originally posted by Jud

Talk I have to disagree with you, her fast songs so far have more complex lyrics than this one.

cbspock
10-13-2002, 10:40 PM
The music, the melody, the sound, her voice - they all combine to tell you if the tune is good or not - the lyrics in and of themselves tell us little other than that critics will pan them for reasons rtc mentioned.

I agree with that. Wait til you hear the song first. AMOM looked pretty lame on paper too. Weren't all you crtics ready for Shania's version of the ABC song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star a few months ago...lol :p

-Chris

Vivashania
10-13-2002, 10:45 PM
A show I once watched named what it considered the two most important songs in rock history. One was a Mississippi boy singing to his "Hound Dog" and the other was a simple, non-complex statement that "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" by some guys from Liverpool.

Jud
10-13-2002, 10:50 PM
well, Viva, you're absolutly right about those songs, myself I can add Love Me Do or She Loves You from the Beatles too.
Oh, well, and I will always prefer them over Tori Amos.;)

I think, she changed a bit the writing style, and I need time to get use to it. Of course the music can change everything.

cbspock
10-13-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Vivashania
A show I once watched named what it considered the two most important songs in rock history. One was a Mississippi boy singing to his "Hound Dog" and the other was a simple, non-complex statement that "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" by some guys from Liverpool.

LOL!!!!
http://smilies.uniquehardware.co.uk/otn/happy/elvis.gif

-Chris

Sheri
10-14-2002, 12:31 AM
I think the lyrics are great fun! Very similar message to That Don't Impress Me Much - so you look like Brad Pitt!! so you've got a car!!!! In this case it's big deal if there's money!!! In both cases she's saying she loves a man for the man he is, not all the other stuff!

AINAHS
10-14-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by talkalot24
Who's getting upset?
Who was talking to you?:D :D

Enjoy the night and Shania's pop video and the Making of IGGG :D :D

Vivashania
10-14-2002, 01:35 AM

Right on! Seems way too much negativity around for some reason. People are studying small variations in spin ratios, pouring over the expected critical reviews, trying to decide if lyrics are up to snuff, etc. This is a time we should be CELEBRATING! After years in the wilderness, Shania is BACK! We've got a great, peppy new song, innovative video, TV specials, she's doing TV shows and interviews and her album is almost here! Gosh, even her official site is starting to shape up with a full-length, decent-quality version of her video. She's on the Billboard charts again!!! Let's CHEER!!!! YAY!!!

AINAHS
10-14-2002, 01:41 AM

Right on! Seems way too much negativity around for some reason. People are studying small variations in spin ratios, pouring over the expected critical reviews, trying to decide if lyrics are up to snuff, etc. This is a time we should be CELEBRATING! After years in the wilderness, Shania is BACK! We've got a great, peppy new song, innovative video, TV specials, she's doing TV shows and interviews and her album is almost here! Gosh, even her official site is starting to shape up with a full-length, decent-quality version of her video. She's on the Billboard charts again!!! Let's CHEER!!!! YAY!!! YOU BETCHA!!! :dancing :reddancin :band

Knight1
10-14-2002, 03:30 AM
Some people have heard some of the tracks in UP! such as at the official label listening parties or have gotten the CD in some way. Anyway, this is what is being noted as the lyrics to Ka-Ching. It is said to be fast tempo in the likes of "Don't Be Stupid" speed.

(Verse 1)
Ka-Ching
This goes out to all the men who are filthy rich
with all of your expenses
nothing underneath the skin
a very cold heart
a life of misery
I'd Rather be with him
and nothing in between

(Pre-Course)
Cause He makes me happy
Without of all his Ka-Ching
doesn't matter what we were doing
he just loves me
love's me for my heart
He loved me from the start
and Now I promise him
to death do us part

(Course)
The way to win a girls heart
is not with all your Ka-Ching, Ching
but only with your Love, Love
and nothing in between
Forget all your Ka-ching
Diamonds are a girls best friend, Yes
But I'd Rather be with you
Then Your Ka-Ching

(Verse 2)
Sure he's got the car
he got the looks
he read up everything in those books
but he doesn't stand a chance
next to you, my man
so don't be jealous baby
I promise and I say to you

(Pre-Course)
Cause you make me happy
even though he has all his Ka-Ching, Ching
you just love me
you love me for my heart
you loved me from the start
and Now I promise you
to death do us part

(Course)
is not with all your Ka-Ching
and nothing in between
Forget all your Ka-ching
Then Your Ka-Ching

(Bridge)
Oh Honey, Life's a winning dream
even without your Ka-Ching
Look at Us...You're Still With Me

(Pre-Course)
Cause you make me happy
even though he has all his Ka-Ching, Ching
you just love me
love's me for my heart
you loved me from the start
and Now I promise you
to death do us part

(Course)
is not with your Ka-Ching
and nothing in between
Forget all your Ka-ching
Then Your Ka-Ching

(Verse-End)
And Now I promise you, Honey
To Death Do Us Part

Sure sounds like what Shania would sing about

DOC BILL
10-14-2002, 06:24 AM
I remember reading somewhere in these posts that this song was one of Shania's favorite on the album (sorry I have no idea where on these posts I read it!). I really don't like the lyrics as I read thru them but then again I wasn't real sure I liked the IGGG lyrics either and I love the song. I've heard many times-"No one really listens to lyrics anyway!" and perhaps that is more true than we would like to admit-but I like listening to and understanding an artist's lyrics. These lyrics sound like Shania wrote them. Pretty good bet they're not about Mutt as he ain't no strugglin' artist by any means. I'll look forward to hearing the song on the album but I gotta say-I normally love reading Shania's lyrics and these lyrics don't seem to have the depth I'm used to from her. Is it November 19th yet?-the suspense is killin' me! DOC

Marco
10-14-2002, 09:42 AM
:) I remember this post DOC... it was from the "Wetten Dass...?" interview when Shania talked about some music from UP! and she said... "that music is one of my TOP 5, probably TOP 3".... (something like this)...

Personaly I thing it´s a funny lyric but I WAS EXPECTING SOMETHING DEEPER ON THIS NEW ALBUM! I lovedddddd IGGG but it´s also nothing deeper than COO...

Anyway! I don´t know what I´m saying! LOL I love everything Shania does! LOL! But sometimes is really great to be a little more critic!

Just another point: I have a GOOD news! Shania new single is playing on POP Radios at Brazil!... That don´t happend since MIFLW in 2000! If you wanna help to make Shania nº1 in the brazilian radio just e-mail maispedidas@jovempanfm.com.br and write Shania Twain - I´m Gonna Getcha Good! :)

Thanks everybody!

Marco

cbspock
10-14-2002, 10:15 AM
I am sure there will be some deeper songs. The one I am interested in hearing, is the one that Scott said he cried when he heard it.

-Chris

Joni
10-14-2002, 11:28 AM
I'm along the lines with Doc here. When I read the lyrics for IGGG I wasn't sure what to think, possibly because it seemed "Simple". I say that while taking a step back because I know there are songwriters on this board. I realize no song is simple. The lyrics are "cliched" a bit..... Betcha bottom dollar and such as things that are said in an everyday persons life......but maybe that's the actual beauty of it all and why it works! She adds to what we are familiar with. Now I can walk around replying"betcha bottom dollar" but did I think of "in time your gonna be mine" and make it a song, heck no!!! Again I read the lyrics going hmmmm.........heard the song and felt pure joy! She knows what she's doing!

CAN'T WAIT TILL NOV.19TH!!!!!!!

Joni

talkalot24
10-14-2002, 12:45 PM
No one said you were talking to me; I was just asking a simple question.
Who was talking to you?:D :D

AINAHS
10-14-2002, 12:52 PM
Great.

Steve F
10-14-2002, 01:13 PM
I agree there will be some deeper songs in the album. I too, wasn't sure about the lyrics when I read them. It's hard when you don't know where the music is supposed to take the lyrics. On the other hand, and maybe because I'm such a big fan, IGGG got me good as soon as I heard it. After a couple more spins, it was ingrained in my head. This song is going to be a classic no matter how high it goes. It has cut some new ground for female country artists. The only thing that worries me at the present time is that I am not hearing it as much, and that it is not on the Pop Scene yet here in the US. But I am confident that anytime now, Shania will break that barrier because the CMAs are right around the corner and I am sure that means it will be Shania's time.

Oh, and by the way, a big "UP YOURS" to the critics!:D

Steve

cbspock
10-14-2002, 01:17 PM
Well, we don't have a country station in NY, but I can tell you it is slowly entering the pop world, our AC stations have it in low rotation right now. I think we will see it spike as soon as the lean, mean singing machine, invades the US and Canada. I think right now it is fan response driving it. Wait till she gets over here and starts to push it.

-Chris

shaniawarrior
10-14-2002, 04:02 PM
This DEFINITELY sounds like Shania!!! :D

kirppu
10-15-2002, 08:55 AM
Well, this is what Shania said herself about the lyrics and songs on the album:

"I wanted the first single to reflect that playful attitude, because I want people to relate to the Shania they already know, at the same time as hearing a new, fresh
sound."

"Ka-Ching! is one of my top five, probably one of my top three, because it does have the Shania cheekiness to it, but I think it’s a pretty fair observation of where we’re at, in terms of how commercial society has become, almost globally."

"I also like the lyrics on In My Car (I’ll Be The Driver) - ‘don’t care if you sleep with your socks on, you can hurt my head with your favourite rock song.’ In other words, you can be in control of all the other things in our lives, but in my car, I am the driver! UP!, the title track, has some really fun things, ‘even my skin is acting weird, wish that I could grow a beard’. One of my other favourites is I’m Jealous, it’s one of those songs that’s so descriptive, you can see and feel it happening. Juanita is a song I got a bit deeper with lyrically. In our most vulnerable times, whether we’re searching for strength, courage or freedom, it’s our female power (our Juanita) that we need to connect with."

"It’s keeping it real lyrically, that’s just my approach, it is very conversational which is very much the way the last two albums were written and those were the songs people related to the best, saying things the way I would have spoken them."

Multible sources, but I took it from here:
http://universalcountry.ca/shaniatwain/index.php

Btw: You can listen to both country and pop version on this UPdated site now :)

FV
10-15-2002, 12:06 PM
Thanks Kirppu! :BL I really like the way they have updated the site..Thumbs up to Universal Canada!:GL

rtc
10-15-2002, 05:32 PM

Right on! Seems way too much negativity around for some reason. People are studying small variations in spin ratios, pouring over the expected critical reviews, trying to decide if lyrics are up to snuff, etc. This is a time we should be CELEBRATING! After years in the wilderness, Shania is BACK! We've got a great, peppy new song, innovative video, TV specials, she's doing TV shows and interviews and her album is almost here! Gosh, even her official site is starting to shape up with a full-length, decent-quality version of her video. She's on the Billboard charts again!!! Let's CHEER!!!! YAY!!!

No one's saying we're not celebrating! If I were second guessing Shania, I wouldn't be spending all my free time working on the biggest fansite I've ever seen! I'm just saying I don't care for this particular song. And no, it's not for the use of the word "Ka-Ching". That idea is cool. It grabs you and makes you curious enough to listen. Everybody has certain songs on her albums that they don't care for as much as the rest........so, far, though, I haven't had any. This song is just going to be the one I don't care for.

And, Chris, nobody has to have the same opinion. Right?

Amanda

cbspock
10-15-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by rtc

And, Chris, nobody has to have the same opinion. Right?

Amanda

I didn't say that. But wait til you hear the song first.

I can tell you one of my least favorite Shania songs, is from COO...."I'm holdin on to love"

-Chris

Little Shania
10-20-2002, 10:16 AM
TOTALLY SHANIA!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D