PDA

View Full Version : New Shania Bio In The Works

tides24
11-17-2000, 07:32 AM
From The Timmins Daily Press:

Famed British author visits Timmins to
research new book about Shania

A famed British author left Timmins Thursday after spending almost a week in the city to learn more about Shania Twains background.
Robin Eggar, a 46-year-old journalist from London, is doing research for a Shania Twain biography he hopes to publish next year.
Eggar, who has been writing books since 1990, said the biography will cover Twains life until the end of this year. He is also stopping in Huntsville, where Twain performed at the Deerhurst Resort before rocketing to stardom.

Eggar said the book will look like the Tom Jones biography a 350-page, hard-cover book that was just published in the United Kingdom in June. Eggars Tom Jones biography has made the Top 10 bestsellers list. Eggar stayed in the Shania Twain Suite at the Senator Hotel while in Timmins. He said the research has been going pretty well and that hes had some interesting conversations with a number of people, although he wouldnt say who.

Ive spoken to a lot of people since Ive been here, Eggar said. I even had a call from the mayor, Mr. Power, who I gather was her
guidance counselor. Ive talked to residents, business people, friends, people she knew in high school, and even visited the high school. I even drove by the McDonalds she worked at, he quipped. I think, as a writer, you have to have a certain affinity with your
subject, you have to want to write about them . . . you cannot write a book about somebody who comes from a town like this without
visiting the town. Its insulting to them, its insulting to the place they come from, and actually, its insulting to me as a writer.

Eggar said he met and interviewed Twain on two occasions which resulted in him developing an interest in the country music
superstar. I really like Shania. I just thought she had a fantastic story, and I
just thought that she was a very natural, pleasant person . . . and not all stars are.
Shes got a great story. She has a classic rags to riches story. Its much harder now to get those stories. And just the very facts of
her story are remarkable . . . growing up here, Native stepfather, parents killed in a car crash, having to support her family.
Although the research has been going well, Eggar said he is disappointed because he didnt get a chance to speak with anybody who knew Twains parents when she was a child.
The author also said the book is not authorized by Twain. I have met with her
management and explained what I am attempting to do, and they have been gracious enough to accept that by not standing in my way. Im not interested in digging around like tabloid newspapers and making up stories. Ive been a
journalist for too long compromise my integrity by stooping to that level.

[This message has been edited by tides24 (edited 11-17-2000).]