PDA

View Full Version : Pop version Review

11-02-2002, 07:47 PM
(post #21)

Here is my take on the 19 songs...

Up!- A rocking song. Great start to the album, great Country potential! A+

I'm Gonna Getcha Good- After hearing the album, I realized it is the only one that sounds like typical Shania. A great first single to start with. A+

She's not just another pretty face- A female empowerement single. Good social statement. B-

Juanita- This song takes getting used to. Another song. Deep lyrics though. Very complex. I don't see this being released. B-

Forever and For Always- Good Single potential both for country and pop. Just a mid -temp song that keeps trucking along. A-

A'int no Paticular way- Different. Just different. This probably won't be released either. B-

It only Hurts When I'm Beathing- Great Single, Deep Meaning. Slow, Beautiful ballad. Single release for Country and possiblt pop.
A-

Nah!- A great Single that takes a minute to get into. Besides the Nah, I like the whole song. Maybe a single for country, Maybe, maybe pop. B+

Wanna Get to Know you- Pretty good with single potential for country. I expected this to be slow, but it is fast! B+

C'est La Vie- I Love This Song. Got a feel similar to Come On Over. Does sound like ABBA a little, but defunately Shania. Great Positive message, Great Beats. A good package for a song! A+

Jealous- Another slow ballad. I could not get into this one. I tried, but couldn't. I don;t think this will be released. Who knows? B-

Ka- Ching- Complex, social statement. Sounds effects different. The whole song is different. We'll see. I Don't think this will be released. B+

Thank you baby (For Making Someday Come So Soon)- Another song that rocks through. THought it was slow. Has potential for single release for Country, depending on the country version. Maybe, perhaps, pop/ac. B++

Waiter! Bring Me Water!- Cool Song. Different! Oriental. More oriental than most oriental songs you have ever heard. She shows off here talent with this song. Still think It will not be released. B+

What a way to wanna be- Not a single. Good social statement with complex lyrics. Good song, but public not ready. Too 80's sounding. B-

Ain't Going Down- Great song, good potential. Good lyrics.Very Deep. I like this one. It Grows on you. A-

I'm Not in the mood (to say no)- GREAT song. GREAT single for Country, pop. rocks along. WOW! Good "Typical Shania". Very Upbeat! A++

In My Car (I'll Be The Driver)- WOW! One of the best on the album! WILL BE RELEASED AS SINGLE. Rocks through. Fun lyrics. A dong you can listen to over, and over, and over, and over... A+++

When You Kiss Me- Great, slow, beautiful song. A little reminiscant of You've got a way. Good potentail as Country and AC single. A-

Overall... I think If you like Come on over, you will like

1. In My Car (I'll Be The Driver)
2. Up!
3. I'm Not In The Mood (To Say No)
4. C'est La Vie
5. I'm Gonna Getcha Good!
6. Forever and For Always
7. It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing
8. Nah!
9. Wanna Get To Know You
10. When You Kiss Me
11. Waiter! Bring Me Water!

talkalot24
11-02-2002, 08:18 PM
Overall, great review! :)

However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE "Jealous." It is one of my favorite songs on the album! It is so beautiful!! :)

cbspock
11-02-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by talkalot24
Overall, great review! :)

However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE "Jealous." It is one of my favorite songs on the album! It is so beautiful!! :)

Me too, but I think, we will see Waiter become a single...what a great video it would make.

-Chris

cbspock
11-02-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by kerawal
(post #21)

Overall... I think If you like Come on over, you will like

1. In My Car (I'll Be The Driver)
2. Up!
3. I'm Not In The Mood (To Say No)
4. C'est La Vie
5. I'm Gonna Getcha Good!
6. Forever and For Always
7. It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing
8. Nah!
9. Wanna Get To Know You
10. When You Kiss Me
11. Waiter! Bring Me Water!

...and if you love Shania's unreleased songs from TWIM, you'll love the rest. :)

-Chris

rtc
11-03-2002, 03:13 AM
Kerawal and Talk, my sentiments exactly. I thought the same thing about "C'est La Vie" and "When You Kiss Me." But I do love "Jealous." I sang it in my head all night at work and I came home singing "Waiter!" I don't particularly feel it will be one of my favorites, but the chorus is very typically Mutt. I think, musically, I fell in love with him all over again.

Amanda

tower
11-03-2002, 08:03 AM
Great news as "In my Car" is on the IGGG CD Maxi Single! :D

DJMc
11-11-2002, 08:58 AM
Here's my review

First of all, I got to say I was more than pleased with this album, it's the BOMB!!! And I did not even like all of COO, except for MIFLAW, BEBT and a couple ofothers. But here, the material is really deep musically, not always very commercial if you ask me (it's more easy listening than up..)
A lot of thought have been put in the vocalsl; Shania works the lower register more, but her light head voice is sweeter and more colourful than ever. She has became a fine ad-liber I tell ya!
The arrangements are great as well, some are very 80ish, but still modern enough not to sound like a bad "the Cure" revival. The one and only "icck" I can find in this set are the lyrics, and I mention them because on a couple of songs they were bad enough to hinder my full appreciation of the song...It'd be great if Shania could do what Lara Fabian did when she penned her first English album: Sony Music paired her with well-known lyricst John Bettis for a few songs, and when she had learnt the technic, Bettis told her she was ready to write on her own. That could really help, but Shania-Lange work in a more isolated fashion it seems. But anyway, this album is a grower and I think it'll have a decently long life in the charts.

Up! - A rockish number. I did not enjoy it, it sounds short and totally incomplete 4/10

I'm Gonna Getcha Good - A fine, delightful pop number which sounds like an instant classic. Good first single choice, even tho safe. One of my fav tracks 9/10

She's not just another pretty face - This is a great tear-jerker song with a message. But you still wonder if it makes sense to remind people "she's a doctor", when women have been in the working force for decades lol..But somehow it still moves you. Preach on gf! 8.5/10

Juanita - I love this one! It's "country-latin" fusion if you can call it that, and the only missing link is Shakira or Ricky Martin on background vocals hhe...Astonishing vocals by the way 9.5/10

Forever and For Always - This is like the only "ballad" on this album! I wonder why that is, because she's great at it, and didn't YSTO and FTMO burned up the charts? 7/10

Ain't no Paticular way - An ok song, did not stuck on my mind tho 6/10

It only Hurts When I'm Breathing - Wow, this one will sweep you off your feet so you better be prepared. A breathtaking vocal delivery, an intensely haunting melody, and ache-filled lyrics all combine to create an atmospheric piece that draws the listener in. A gem and my fav! 10/10

Nah! - Doesn't live up to its tittle. It's not fun, and it's doesn't have that much attitude. A let-down, but an ok song 5/10

Wanna Get to Know you - I think I liked this one, it's a good song 7/10

C'est La Vie - Sounds too much like ABBA's "Dancing Queen", it even rhymes. Hopefully they won't get sued. Although it's "fun", this should have been left out of the album as a B-side! 3/10

Jealous - This is one of those songs that I could not appreciate because of its lyric. So everything about it is absolutely beautiful, but when she starts singing "I'm jealous of the sun" or whatnot, it losts me. 7.5/10

Ka-Ching - Another misleading tittle, this song is not as fun as TDIMM or MIFLAW. It's about shopping, but the lyrics are cliched. Should not have made the final cut 4/10

Thank you baby (For Making Someday Come So Soon) - A fine easy-listening track. Goes down like milk-shake! Tittle unecessarly long tho 8/10

Waiter! Bring Me Water! - Now we're talking. Shania definitively looks like she's having fun on this one, and it'll make you get up and dance! 7.5/10

What a way to wanna be - Did not stuck on my mind, but I think it was ok 6.5/10

Ain't Going Down - I loooved this one. It's so powerful because Shania is really addressing her life and her insecurities as a woman. I wish she'd do it more often, because you get the impression that you're truly getting connected with her and understanding her. Most of the time, Shania likes to make fun music to lift people's spirit, but a song like this doesn't make me sad it's empowering! (should have been the album tittle) 9.5/10

I'm Not in the mood (to say no) - I love this one too!! It'll make you get off your feet and party. 8/10

In My Car (I'll Be The Driver) - Fantastic track. Shania's car is "fast and furious" and we're enjoying the ride. 8/10

When You Kiss Me - Great, beautiful slow number. And yet another fantastic track...that's 4 in a row!! 8/10

Overall... I liked the best
1. It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing
2. Juanita
3. I Ain't Going Down
4. I'm Gonna Getcha Good!

And I dislike
1. C'est la vie
2. Ka-Ching
3. Nah!
4. Up!

cbspock
11-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Lara who???

Every song you hate, are the ones I think make this a unique Shania album, and Jealous, is one of Shania's best songs.

-Chris

Cheyenne55
11-11-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by cbspock
Lara who???

Every song you hate, are the ones I think make this a unique Shania album, and Jealous, is one of Shania's best songs.

-Chris

I agree. My wife fell in love with this one to.

wish i were the sun shinin' on your face
caressing like a lover
i would wrap you up in a warm embrace
we would be holdin' one another
(jealous of the sky) i'm jealous of the sun
(jealous of the sky) oh.. i'm jealous of the sun

A woman in love is such a wonderful, deep thing. I love it!!

cbspock
11-11-2002, 10:16 AM
Ain't Going Down, is gonna make an awesome country single. I wonder if Shania was thinking about her older sister when she wrote this song.

-Chris

Marco
11-11-2002, 10:22 AM
LOL how can someone give 5/10 to NAH!... one of the BEST songs of the album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay! I respect others opinion! but try to listen to it again! ;)

Marco

cbspock
11-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Marco
LOL how can someone give 5/10 to NAH!... one of the BEST songs of the album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay! I respect others opinion! but try to listen to it again! ;)

Marco

I agree, "Nah!" is all Shania atitude.

-Chris

Roger
11-11-2002, 10:48 AM
LOL!! It seems we all would rank the songs differently. Kerawal, you are at the opposite end of the spectrum from me. DJMc, you and I think more alike but not completely. I dunno, I can't really assess them all properly until I have had a chance to hear all of them in both country and pop versions on a good sound system. Even then, I'm slow. It takes me a while to know what I will like in the long run. My reviews will be a while coming.

Roger

AINAHS
11-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Roger
LOL!! It seems we all would rank the songs differently. Kerawal, you are at the opposite end of the spectrum from me. DJMc, you and I think more alike but not completely. I dunno, I can't really assess them all properly until I have had a chance to hear all of them in both country and pop versions on a good sound system. Even then, I'm slow. It takes me a while to know what I will like in the long run. My reviews will be a while coming.

Roger Ditto - us oldtimers take a while to make our minds UP!

I find it interesting all these members rushing to judgment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have not decided which of Shania's first three albums I prefer!:D

Bryce
11-11-2002, 11:28 AM
Myself I don't see the need to analyze it to death and draw comparisons. I prefer to just listen and enjoy the music. Guess I wouldn't make a very good critic. But then thats a good thing considering my opinions when it comes to critics.:D

Bryce

AINAHS
11-11-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Bryce
Myself I don't see the need to analyze it to death and draw comparisons. I prefer to just listen and enjoy the music. Guess I wouldn't make a very good critic. But then thats a good thing considering my opinions when it comes to critics.:D

Bryce Exceptionally fine thoughts.:D

Isn't it amazing how some members feel they just have to offer opinions immediately on songs? I think it is wonderful there is so much diversity in thought and actions in these forums. :D

Debbie
11-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Bryce

Bryce

Boy, Bryce you said it for me, too. I just listen and enjoy. There may be some I like better than other right now but given time and hearing them on a stereo system I'm sure will change my mind. For right now I'm really enjoying hearing them one a day and just enjoying!:)

cbspock
11-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS

I still have not decided which of Shania's first three albums I prefer!:D

Easy, all of them :D

-Chris

Bryce
11-11-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by cbspock

Easy, all of them :D

-Chris

You got that right!!!!!:Bthumb

Bryce

DJMc
11-11-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS
Isn't it amazing how some members feel they just have to offer opinions immediately on songs? I think it is wonderful there is so much diversity in thought and actions in these forums. :D [/B]I don't understand what the fuss is all about. I wrote this "review" not as a critic, but a fan...who listened to the CD once..and online!..and as such, I did it or the sole purpose of sharing information with the fans, just like I would after watching a performance. But I pointed out a few songs that did not stuck in my mind because I heard the whole thing once.

BTW, my overall appreciation of the CD was that it's the BOMB, and the exceptions confirm the rule :D

talkalot24
11-11-2002, 03:34 PM
Hey,
There is nothing wrong with giving your review. I share a lot of your opinions, but disagree on a few points as well. There's certainly nothing wrong with that. I enjoyed your review. Thanks! :)
Originally posted by DJMc
I don't understand what the fuss is all about. I wrote this "review" not as a critic, but a fan...who listened to the CD once..and online!..and as such, I did it or the sole purpose of sharing information with the fans, just like I would after watching a performance. But I pointed out a few songs that did not stuck in my mind because I heard the whole thing once.

BTW, my overall appreciation of the CD was that it's the BOMB, and the exceptions confirm the rule :D

AINAHS
11-11-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by DJMc
I don't understand what the fuss is all about. I wrote this "review" not as a critic, but a fan...who listened to the CD once..and online!..and as such, I did it or the sole purpose of sharing information with the fans, just like I would after watching a performance. But I pointed out a few songs that did not stuck in my mind because I heard the whole thing once.

BTW, my overall appreciation of the CD was that it's the BOMB, and the exceptions confirm the rule :D There is no fuss or problem - us old timers take awhile at times to formulate our opinions - you young 'uns are just quicker on the triggers! Nothing wrong with that - if that is your schtick!:D