PDA

View Full Version : Which Versions Will Shania Sing In Concert?

Roger
11-13-2002, 07:32 PM
I don't know which versions of each song I will ultimately prefer. Since I like both country and pop music I suspect that my own preferences will be mixed. But I wonder: when Shania tours here in North America which versions of her songs will she sing? How will she know the majority taste in each area? It's a fair bet that country versions will be more popular in Calgary and Nashville but what about Toronto or Virginia Beach?

This situation reminds me of a problem Nana Mouskouri had in Ottawa. Nana was (and maybe still is) a multilingual super star in Europe. I discovered her in the 60s in Quebec and for a number of years listened to her only in French. Then in the 70s and 80s English Canada discovered her and I began to hear her in English too. Well, in the 60s here in Ottawa her concerts were all in French, both the songs and the between-song chatter. But in the 70s a problem developed. There was no problem in Montreal where Nana performed in French or in Toronto where she performed in English. But in Ottawa there was no obvious language preference. At first in the 70s Nana performed in French only as she had always done here but now much of her audience was English speaking and large numbers of them got quite annoyed she wasn't singing or speaking in English. By the end of the 70s she was speaking and performing on both English and French but I don't think the English parts of the audience were ever compeletely accepting of the French. For their part the French speakers resented the intrusion of the English late-comers. Poor Nana! She couldn't win!

Now with Shania she became popular first with country music fans (like Nana with the French speakers). Now Shania is also popular with the more numerous pop music fans (like Nana with the more numerous English speakers). I doubt there will be the same animosity between Shania's two audiences but I still wonder which she will sing in concert.

Roger

cbspock
11-13-2002, 07:39 PM
I think Shania will sing different versions based on where she is. Another possibility, they will be hybrids of them all, like she did with YWML, IOH, LGMET. Better yet, I am senseing a special LIVE version of Up!

I am more concerned with what old songs is she gonna let go of, and not sing in concert.

-Chris

FV
11-13-2002, 08:21 PM
I have the feeling that by the time we get to the Tour, MUTT will have remixes of the remixes ready for all the fans ..lol:BL ...so should we be looking forward to hear the PINK version or the WHITE version of the songs? :rolleyes: ;)

byrdman
11-13-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by FV
...so should we be looking forward to hear the PINK version or the WHITE version of the songs? :rolleyes: ;)

LOL :BL :BL

Al

kirppu
11-14-2002, 01:10 PM
Interesting question Roger! Will there be country instruments and country versions in NA? Or mixed? Or just special live versions of them, that they will play everywhere in NA?

LOL FV! :D