PDA

View Full Version : Post your reviews of Up!

cbspock
11-16-2002, 08:14 AM
Post your comments about Up!

-chris

Sheri
11-16-2002, 11:39 AM
I think it's the best album (to date) that she's ever done. You can hear and even FEEL the emotion in her. Her voice is better than ever - even though I thought it was wonderful before.

I love the chances she's taking - the attitude is very Shania, yes. That's consistent. But she's challenging her voice and her writing and the end result is astonishing.

I love the ballads as much as I love the faster paced songs.

And Mutt? What can one say???

I hear her peace and happiness throughout the CD and it pleases me no end!!

Bigfoot
11-16-2002, 11:54 AM
What else do we need to say : Bthumb

Sheri told it already. I've got me the internatiol version this morning, and iself love the blue Cd. It contains a mystical sphere.
A great mixture if Oriental based music with indeed the Shania as i know her from the earlier cd's & dvd.

Mercury records did a great job Thanks Mutt :D :D

And Shania, ... we love it. Another Masterpiece !!!

cbspock
11-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Sheri
I think it's the best album (to date) that she's ever done. You can hear and even FEEL the emotion in her. Her voice is better than ever - even though I thought it was wonderful before.

I love the chances she's taking - the attitude is very Shania, yes. That's consistent. But she's challenging her voice and her writing and the end result is astonishing.

I love the ballads as much as I love the faster paced songs.

And Mutt? What can one say???

I hear her peace and happiness throughout the CD and it pleases me no end!!

You heard it on CD already, or are you going by the streaming audio for the last 19 days?

-Chris

Sheri
11-16-2002, 09:08 PM
I WISH I heard it from CD. I've been enjoying my daily new song, like the rest of you. Plus I heard the last ones on our free day at the beginning. ;)

Bigfoot
11-17-2002, 02:27 PM
Haven't you got the cd yet Sheri ?

I dont get it. Launch of the cd should be at next
Tuesday here in Europe. The 19th ? But i bought it in the cd shop last Saturday.

They even phoned me to tell that my international version is there. So is there a delay in shipping then, Forgot to place a down order ? ;) ;) ;)

Hope you enyoy. Becaus it is defenitly worth a while.

Still goin compleet berzerk...... Wahooo nice muzak !!!! :Bthumb Shania & Mutt. Off course ... credits also go to all the band menbers... hih hi hi :director :band HEY1

Sheri
11-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Oh, I prepaid it. But it's not released until the 19th... if I'm lucky. We seem to do everything late over here... magazines.... CD's... whatever! The 19th is just a couple days away (loooong days). :)

cbspock
11-18-2002, 08:03 PM
A half hour ago I just opened my mail from CDNOW, and inside was the GREEN and RED Version of Up!:clap :clap I am listening to the GREEN version first, skipping thru to certain tracks, and all I can say right now is WOW!!!! I'm Jealous..OMG!! this has to be the best Shania song I have ever listened to. Oh..and Waiter Bring me Water in it's country version rules!! More later..right now I am speechless.

-Chris

Tee
11-18-2002, 09:01 PM
Got my two CD's in the mail today, and I have to say that I like the cd better than listening to the release of each day through my computer. Shania is just so.............Shania. I just love the fact that she does not conform to what everyone else want's or expects her to do. She does her own thing, her own way and that is what I so admire the most. LOVE THE CD!!!!!!

cbspock
11-19-2002, 12:40 AM
I will post a full review of the GREEN version tomorrow night. I am still trying to absorb it all. In short, waiting for this CD was worth every second of the last two years.

Shania and Mutt outdid themselves on this one.

Thank you Mutt for not letting Shania give up!!!

:clap :clap :clap :clap

-Chris

kirppu
11-19-2002, 05:09 AM
Well, today is the 6th day I´ve listened to UP! red version.
And I must say every day I find new songs to rise into a favourite position from just solid and likeable songs! So anyone who has had songs they think they are not so sure about, give them a chance, they might grow on you!
Also my favourite list keeps changing from day to day, lol.

Today the fave list looks like this:
-Nah! (at first I was not sure about this song, now...wow)
-Juanita (I lost this song for a day or two, now I found it again!)
-Ain´t no particular way (the music, not so much the lyrics)
-I´m not in the mood (this song just rocks!)
-In my car (rock on!)
-C'est la vie (What a positive take on life, I should listen to this song every day really with thought)
-Up (there is no way but up hehe)
-Pretty face (discovered seriously yesterday)
-I ain´t going down (discovered today)
-Wanna get to know you (solid album song I did not thought much before..)

Oh, I could add all the other songs on too, lol. The more I listen, the more I like! There were some songs earlier that I was not sure of, but they have all grown on me! :)

I really look forward to the green version as I think I will discover more and different songs from it :D

hepa
11-19-2002, 07:56 AM
HELLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am like soooooo flying UP on air right now. Just got back from my trip to buy the CD. :bouncing

Here it's the RED and BLUE version on stores. MY GOD, she looks fantastic on the blue CD!!!!!
Anyway's, don't have time to chat now. Gotta go and listen to it throught and really ENJOY the songs. Talk to you all later.

See, Im rushing to listen to it...... :GH

Redhead Bee
11-19-2002, 12:23 PM
I am still waiting for my Cd which has been delayed here for atleast another 6 days :( but i just heard the blue versions of Nah and When You Kiss Me and I gotta say....i hav enever been more proud to be from mumbai city as i did when i heard those songs :) i still have goosebumps! I said in an earlier post that i really wasn't an indian music fan, and maybe shania would change that....well, guess what, i was right! GO SHANIA!!

sonal

please all pray we get the cd fast here

canadarocks
11-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Shania, does it again.When I WAS IN FUTURESHOP,just to run in and out and get " UP " 4 other people were buying it.
19 tracks is alot of listening for one cd.I never got bored listening to " UP " . I agree with others that this is her best ,sung, cd. The emotion in her voice is moving. The songs are great. I would have given it a 10 out of 10 except for "c'est la vie" which sounds too much like ABBAS' "dancing queen". SO ,I GAVE IT A 9 AND A HALF.
:D :D :D :BL :BL :BL :GL :GL :GL :OH

canadarocks
11-19-2002, 01:25 PM
I FORGOT,I LIKE THE GREEN ONE THE BEST.:D

shaniawarrior
11-19-2002, 03:24 PM
I don't know what else to add since everyone else has basically said everything! :) I think this is Shania's best work (so far). I don't have a favorite when it comes to pop or country because I like both versions! Some songs I prefer one format over the other, but for the most part, I like both versions of all the songs! I can't wait to get the blue copy! The emotion in the songs are so blunt...which makes them GREAT! I have to say, though, that "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing" is up there in my top 19 (lol). No, but seriously, it is up there in my top 5 fav of all time. Now that's one heck of an emotional song! I can't wait for the tour!!!!!! My ranking: :Bthumb :Bthumb :D

A HYPER Shania fan,
Desiree

FV
11-19-2002, 05:17 PM
I LOVE IT! I LOVE both discs..and to tell you the truth I also LOVE the blue version..LOL! :rolleyes: I was listening to the blue version of NAH! from the official site...I like it..it's funky in my opinion..:p :BL I simply cannot wait to see Shania LIVE....it is going to rock all the fans out of this world with so many GREAT concert songs...Start singing! lol...Real Cool

AngelGuy
11-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Heh. It's gonna take me a long time to review this album. I bought UP! this morning, but I have yet to hear all 19 songs, since I keep replaying "In My Car" over and over again. :D

"I'm Not In the Mood", "Up!", and "Nah!" are getting the multiple plays, too. I love these songs!!!

Eventually, I'll discover the rest of the album. ;) But for now, I'm having too much fun just with these songs!

Vivashania
11-19-2002, 07:12 PM
Yes, this is gonna take a while. I now have all 3 versions and it's kinda mind blowing to have these 57 tracks, all quite different. There's stuff on the Blue album that doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before.

Bryce
11-19-2002, 07:29 PM
I like the Red and the Green equaly. The only song I don't like is Waiter. They could have left it off and I would not have missed it. LOL I have listened to it about 5 times and it just does nothing for me. But 18 out of 19 isn't bad.

My Blue disc is in transit but I do like the 2 songs I've heard from it so far.

Bryce

Little Shania
11-19-2002, 10:38 PM
I am gonna post mine later on!!!! Both versions ROCK!!!!!!!!! I just can't get enough of SHANIA and I am just soooooooo HAPPY that she is BACK!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

cbspock
11-19-2002, 11:27 PM
I just finished listening to red, and WOW!!!! I love it, but my favorite is GREEN. I just blue tonight, so I will let you know about that later.

Warrior..I think you are right, this is a very emotionally packed album.

-Chris

canadarocks
11-20-2002, 12:24 AM
MY WIFE AND BEST FRIEND LOVES THE REDVERSION, AND I LOVE THE GREEN [ MY BEST FRIEND AND WIFE IS FROM ,JAPAN.]
WHAT DO I DO?????????????????????
sorry,its our 9 wedding aniversary,nov , 19th,2002.;)

cbspock
11-20-2002, 01:01 AM
Listening to the blue verison of the CD. It is very interesting sound. It is very differnt, and I am lovin it. I just can't get the vision of Shania dressed as a genie outta my head listening to this...lol :p Maybe that is how Mutt really met her..she lived in a bottle...lol :p

-Chris

canadarocks
11-20-2002, 02:31 AM
will do ,I CAN GET ,Nobuko,to send us one, she really is GENIUS ,I think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SHANIA ,and my wife and Nobuko ]
WOW , we ARE VERY PICKY ABOUT MUSIC. IF THE THIRD ONE IS AS GOOD as the others ,I will die, I am a guy, so ,IT MUST BE REALLY GREAT.:) :D :BL :cool: :BL ;)

Darrell
11-20-2002, 02:37 AM
I picked UP my copy yesterday at wal-mart. Ill post my full review after Ive had time to listen a few more times. So far, Forever And For Always (green version) is my fave! :)

Kazu66
11-20-2002, 03:22 AM
Hi

About Three disc of Shania's "Up!"

I like
Green>Red>Blue or
Green>Blue>Red

My Best 5 is
1. Up
2. I'm Gonna Getcha Good.
5. Forever And For Always
13. Thank You Baby!
19. When You Kiss Me.
and 7. It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing

Shania's ballade is so good.
especially 5. Forever And For Always(Green Disc)
is my favorite. It is so good.:)

Kazu66
11-20-2002, 03:32 AM
Blue Disc's I'm Gonna Getcha Good! is funny.
It is exotic.
Blue Disc is eastern? and
Green Disc is western.
I love both.:D

hepa
11-20-2002, 07:15 AM
After listening the RED CD five times here's my ranking at the moment

10 POINTS
1. Thank You Baby (Just can't get enough of the violins :) )
2. Nah!
3. Ka-Ching! (Sooooooo great lyrics)
4. What A Way To Wanna Be
6. I'm Gonna Getcha Good
7. Up!

9 POINTS
8. When You Kiss Me
9. Ain't No Particular Way
10. I'm Jealous
11. Waiter! Bring Me Water!
12. She's Not Just A Pretty Face
13. It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing
14. In My Car

8 POINTS
15. Juanita
16. C'est La Vie
17. (WGTKY) That Good!
18. I ain't Going Down
19. I'm Not In The Mood

Now, Like how hard was it to decide wich song would be on the last spot, since I truly like that song too. As for the Blue CD.... well, it kinda sounds like the same backing tape would have been added to each song. So, I'm not really gotten into the blue cd, though there is some interesting things. But the RED CD is really like a mixture of different styles.
And I'm loving it. I only hope I don't play it so much that I will get bored of it..... :D

Cheyenne55
11-20-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by hepa

10 POINTS
2. Nah!
6. I'm Gonna Getcha Good
7. Up!

9 POINTS
8. When You Kiss Me
10. I'm Jealous
14. In My Car

8 POINTS
15. Juanita
16. C'est La Vie
17. (WGTKY) That Good!
18. I ain't Going Down
19. I'm Not In The Mood

. I only hope I don't play it so much that I will get bored of it..... :D

If you do, switch to the Green CD if you can find it. Some of the songs are even better Country. Shania's voice on a few of them (Green version) is truely amazing

DOC BILL
11-20-2002, 09:34 AM
I bought the CD yesterday on my way home from Montana (even though it's already waiting for me at home thru a previous order). I got to tell you-this is one (or two) great albums! Initially when I listened to the daily downloads there were some songs I wasn't sure I liked but when you sit and listen to the entire album and realize what chances Shania took on the variations, when you feel the movement over the course of the album, when you listen to that wonderful voice, when you hear Mutt all over the album(s), and when you're a hugh Shania fan and know all her previous work-you have got to be left spellbound! This is unquestioneably her best work to this point. I love the country version best, but as her note indicated these discs are mood dependent and I was in a layed back mood after a week in the Montana back country. Love it, Love it, Love it!!!!!! Oh and did I mention I LOVE IT!!!! DOC

AINAHS
11-20-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Vivashania
Yes, this is gonna take a while. I now have all 3 versions and it's kinda mind blowing to have these 57 tracks, all quite different. There's stuff on the Blue album that doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before. Three hours and 39 minutes of music with barely a nanosecond between tracks - wowowowowow! My blue copy is in the mail - I cannot wait to hear it. The red and green copies are fairly similar to my ear. Am I the only one that feels that way?

Sheri
11-20-2002, 12:33 PM
Doc.... how do you feel about Shania's new CD? :D

cbspock
11-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by AINAHS
Three hours and 39 minutes of music with barely a nanosecond between tracks - wowowowowow! My blue copy is in the mail - I cannot wait to hear it. The red and green copies are fairly similar to my ear. Am I the only one that feels that way?

On some tracks they sound simliar, on others different. Wait til you hear the blue one!! NAH! and Jealous..in surround sound are awesome. Make sure you have no cobras in your house, and make sure your carpets are tacked down, they may start to levitate...lol :p

-Chris

Roger
11-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Three hours and 39 minutes of music with barely a nanosecond between tracks - wowowowowow! My blue copy is in the mail - I cannot wait to hear it. The red and green copies are fairly similar to my ear. Am I the only one that feels that way?

I agree. Some of the blue versions won't seem so similar.

Roger

AINAHS
11-20-2002, 10:53 PM
Thank goodness - I thought I was the only one who could not tell the difference at times!:D

talkalot24
11-21-2002, 12:30 AM
Is your review ready yet, Viva? :)
Originally posted by Vivashania
Yes, this is gonna take a while. I now have all 3 versions and it's kinda mind blowing to have these 57 tracks, all quite different. There's stuff on the Blue album that doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before.

jarrett
11-22-2002, 12:57 AM
Ok, I definitely had to go and get this CD as soon as possible, and overall, i really like it. But, there is definitely some "getting used to" to have to be done. Here's how i explain what i think of the album (and i'd love to hear what yall think too):

1. Up - I really like this track. This was one of my favorites from when i first heard it (Nov. 1st). The lyrics are not too deep; just fun for everyone!

2. I'm Gonna Getcha Good! - Loved this song from the day of it's release! Couldn't stop playing it. Has the same "Shania" attitude in it like many of her songs from the past albums.

3. She's Not Just A Pretty Face - I'm going to have to get used to hearing this song. I mean, it sounds ok and she sings very well on it, but I don't care for the message in the song very much. I guess, there's not too much to it.

4. Juanita - When I first heard this song, I didn't like it. But over the past few days, I really like it now. It kept getting stuck in my head, lol!

5. Forever And For Always - I like this one! Very simple love song. In ways, it kinda reminds me of "You're Still The One". That too was just a simple love song with a great message.

6. Ain't No Particular Way - At first, I felt the same way about this song, as I did with "Juanita". But, after getting it stuck in my head a few times, I listened to it more and now it's another favorite!

7. It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing - One of my all-time favorite Shania songs. I love all her ballads! She sings this song very well, and its just so good! Gotta love it!

8. Nah! - Another favorite from the start. Very well written and very creative! I mean, have you heard anyone else try a song like this.....and with a title like that? lol

9. (Wanna Get To Know You) That Good! - This song is ok. I mean, it's good, but I think i need to listen to it more. For some reason, it reminds me of Deana Carter's "How Do I Get There?" song. Don't ask, lol, but it just does!

10. C'est La Vie - Ok, like many have said before. It sounds like Abba's "Dancing Queen", which at first annoyed me. But, after listening to it more, I really like this song now. I'll always think of "Dancing Queen", but whoever said no one else can have that same tune?

11. I'm Jealous - I like this song alot! Very different from what everyone else has out now. Only thing is, I feel I could get bored with this one if I listen to it too much. I can picture an awesome video for this song though!

12. Ka-Ching! - Really liked this song from the start. I heard bad reviews about it before I actually heard it, but i definitely don't agree with them. It's another fun song to sing along to.

13. Thank You Baby! (For Makin' Someday Come So Soon) - Ok, when I first heard this song, it was the red version, and i thought to myself "this is SCREAMING 80'S" lol, but now I like it. it kept getting stuck in my head. I just kept on singing it.

14. Waiter! Bring Me Water! - This song is definitely a favorite! I think it's a first-single type song. It's got a kinda new sound, but it's definitely still Shania.

15. What A Way To Wanna Be - I like this song, but it still needs to grow on me more. There's just something unexplainable about it. Maybe that she sings parts of it a little too fast? I'm not quite sure.

16. I Ain't Goin' Down - Very good song! I think this one could do something with a charity. Like for teenage girls who are pregnant or already have a young baby. Wouldn't that be cool. Kinda like a new "God Bless The Child"?

17. I'm Not In The Mood (To Say No)! - Another fun song to sing along with. Another favorite!

18. In my Car (I'll Be The Driver) - I think this song has a good sound (music-wise), but I don't care for the lyrics. And I don't like how the chorus just kinda cuts off. This will take some getting used to.

19. When You Kiss Me - I LOOOOOOOVE this song! I havent decided if it's my FAVORITE FAVORITE, but it's definitely up there! Soooo beautiful!

Ok, so that's my review! take a few minutes to post your's! I'd love to read them!

BTW, I think I like the green disc the best. then the red. I don't own the Blue one, but i heard a few tracks from it. the blue - in a way - kinda seems annoying with that never-ending beat in the songs. I heard "When You Kiss Me" and "Nah!". I'm not sure if the rest of the CD sounds like that or not, but I'm happy with the green and red for right now.

irene cross
11-24-2002, 12:04 AM
I have listened to the red, green, and blue versions several times.

I can't say that I like one version more than the other because I personally think that all 3 are great.

I think when two people like Shania and Mutt can write the lyrics,compose the music and create something so great they deserve to be applauded not criticized.

That's my opinion.

comeonover
11-24-2002, 02:29 AM
Every song on here is fantastic with the exception of Juanita and I'm Not In The Mood. Those songs aren't doing a thing for me yet!!!

The others are just out of this world!!! Shania has proven she can sing her socks off and write a damn good song!!!

Favorite Version: Red

Favorite Ten

1. I'm Gonna Getcha Good!
2. C'est La Vie
3. Aint No Particualr Way
4. It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing
5. What A Way To Wanna Be!
6. Forever And For Always
7. Up!
8. In My Car (Ill Be The Driver)-my fav!!!
9. Thank You Baby!
10. Nah!

Just minus tracks 4 and 17 and the album is perfecto!!!

cbspock
11-24-2002, 11:11 PM
I think one of my all time Favorite Shania songs is turning out to be "Forever and For Always" RED.

I just love the sound of the song, especially in surround sound with that whistle.

-Chris

comeonover
11-25-2002, 12:03 AM
My favorite is defintely the same song Chris!!! I love that POP sound on that song!!!

I also am a big fan of "In The Car"

God bless Shania

:BL

Mary R
11-25-2002, 12:20 AM
WOW! Up is just fantasic! I love it! I like the pop version the best, but do enjoy the country version too! Have yet to hear the blue version! I love the ballads, Forever And For Always is my favorite one, but It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing isn't too far behind! Also really like I'm Jealous, I Ain't Going Down, and When You Kiss Me! And of course then there's the upbeat ones like I'm Gonna Getcha Good and UP, they are great, really like In My Car too! Heck what can I say, I like all but a couple! I think that Ka-Ching and Waiter! Bring Me Water will really have to grow on me though!

Shania's back! And we fans are thrilled! Can't wait to hear these songs in concert! :band

Mary R

comeonover
11-26-2002, 07:07 PM
Hey guys after hearing the pop version for a couple times of I'm Not In The Mood I now like it!!! But still don't like country version!!!

Bob
11-26-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by DOC BILL
I bought the CD yesterday on my way home from Montana (even though it's already waiting for me at home thru a previous order). I got to tell you-this is one (or two) great albums! Initially when I listened to the daily downloads there were some songs I wasn't sure I liked but when you sit and listen to the entire album and realize what chances Shania took on the variations, when you feel the movement over the course of the album, when you listen to that wonderful voice, when you hear Mutt all over the album(s), and when you're a hugh Shania fan and know all her previous work-you have got to be left spellbound! This is unquestioneably her best work to this point. I love the country version best, but as her note indicated these discs are mood dependent and I was in a layed back mood after a week in the Montana back country. Love it, Love it, Love it!!!!!! Oh and did I mention I LOVE IT!!!! DOC

If you get a chance, email me about your Montana experience some time.

Bob
11-26-2002, 07:29 PM
I was doing a bit of grocery shopping this evening and took a peek in the CD aisle to see if anything new from Shania was there. Wow! They had rows and rows of her CD displayed side by side, up high for extra marketing. Not just the 1 or 2 racks of 8-10 deep as usual.

As I looked closer, fearing the shock of cultural divergence between generations, I saw a little something that made a warm smile creep into the corners of old Uncle Bob's mouth. Holes in the t-shirt, just like mine often have. YIPPIE!!!! I could buy it now.

As I write this, one of the two CD's is playing on my pc to my (sorta) virgin ears for this album. And as usual, I'm a little confused and slow to catch on. The CD has the green label. But my RealOne player prompted me to save the tracks to "my music" on my hard drive. Being in a cheerful mood at the prospect of hearing this long awaited album for the first time, I uncharacteristically let the MSW Me software have the reins. Next thing I knew, it was recording the green CD as "The Red Version." Now you know us guys with our one track minds. Here I am, trying to figure out why the CD label is green, but the computer says it's red. Nearly oblivious to the music going in one ear and out the other. Now how's that for role reversal? Usually, guys are all gaga over the gal, (as in "Waiter - Bring Me Water!") but here I am, oblivious to the gal. Oh well, that's what uncles are for I guess, no matter whether honorary, self proclaimed or what. Meanwhile, the upgraded RealOne (to XP?) has locked up my MSW Me again so I have to reboot. I'm out'a here!

Bob
11-26-2002, 07:39 PM
I'm rebooted, but I think tonight's the night that Katie Couric (?sp) is airing 3 big interviews in prime time in 20 minutes, one being of Shania Twain. So I'm leaving to view and tape that. If the 99 yr old relative I'm caring for doesn't have an other medical emergency, I'll listen to the 2 CD's later, get straightened out as to which is really the red and the green, and share further review with you.

Roger
11-26-2002, 07:50 PM
Hey Bob! Don't ever change, will you. :BL

And don't rush. Katie at Night isn't on until 10 p.m. eastern time.

Roger

Bob
11-27-2002, 03:15 AM
I better get this thread back on track about review of the actual music on the UP album, rather than about reviews of interview. If that gets much reply, Spock may have to mind-meld it to another thread. And Doc Bill may have to take compazine again for all the details ad nauseum. :D

I compared the Green and Red version of UP. Initially they seemed similar. But as I heard them more, I began to realize and enjoy the subtle differences. I heard the green (Country) version first. Then after the TV break, I heard the (Red) Pop version. I thought I liked the pop better. But when I played the country version a second time, I could easily tell that it had things about it I'd like more than the pop version on some days, depending on my mood. Two CD's for the price of one. Now that's something a generous or innovative soul would do.

cbspock
11-27-2002, 06:47 AM
note....

Bob, I moved your Katie post to this other thread...
http://www.shania-twain.org/mb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7335&pagenumber=3

-chris

Bob
11-27-2002, 10:19 AM
Thanks Chris,

It's a natural fit in that thread and not so in this one.

I would've added a note there, that the post was transferred, and my long post did not have the benefit of what others were writing there, but I see that thread is closed. That's okay.

Steve F
11-27-2002, 05:57 PM
Well, I've listened to UP Red & Green 3 times now and I have some thoughts. My lovely wife, who tolerates my Shaniaism generously, asked me to bring the new CD along for a trip we were taking a couple of days ago. I was so excited that she wanted to hear it that I grabbed it without thinking. I say that because I had left the Red copy in my DVD player. Uh-oh, now all I have with me is the Green to play for someone who hates fiddles!:D Of course she knows IGGG, and now a little of UP. I so wanted her to hear the Red songs because that way her first impressions would be of Pop not Country. I apologized and said we could do it again sometime with the Red one. She agreed but not soon.

Okay here is what I think right now. First of all, I have what is becoming a favorite song like I did with COO which was FTMO. I am rally into "I'm Jealous." As a matter of fact, I think it is a lot along the same lines as FTMO, i.e., same type of tempo, good upbeat ballad. There are some pretty powerful words here. "I wish I were the rain runnin' down your neck and drippin from you fingers. Then I could be the drops rollin' off your back. I'd love to let it linger. Oh, jealous of the rain." Wow try to imagine what she is saying there, is that intimate thoughts or what?

Other than I'm Jealous, I really like them all. Granted some better than others, but for the most part all of them. In fact each time I listen I pick up more interesting little things that I missed the time before. Beating COO in sales will be a challenge, but win, lose or draw, Shania has given her fans a terrific recording. Creatively, I believe this is her best effort so far. These songs are not better than her earlier ones, per say, but I think they give the listener more depth. True many are light-hearted here and there, but there is one thing that is clear to me. Shania has demonstrated a message of love throughout this album, whether happy or sad, it is definitely there. For those idiots who have criticized this CD in the Media, I say "UP yours!":mad:

Now here is how I see it:

UP - This song is a cool light rock song. It is best in Red.

IGGG - No question in my mind, Red is better. I like the Green too, but this song is going to be the flagship for UP in the Pop Field I think, the one that gets her foot in the door to top of Pop.

Juanita & Forever & For Always - both of these are better in Green. They are more suited to Country. Both are nice songs.

Ain't No Particular Way - I like Red better. I like the song a lot.

It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing - I don't see a lot of difference here, I like both. This is a really nice song. I enjoy it.

Nah - Red is best. I think this is a good candidate for Pop stardom.

{Wanna Get To Know You) That Good - Definitely Green.

C'est La Vie - One of my favorites. It has the potential to be a hit in both Red and Green versions. The chorus reminds you a little of ABBA's "Dancing Queen."

I'm Jealous - See my opening comments.

Ka-Ching - Another of my favorites. This song too has the potential to be a hit in both Red and Green versions.

Thank You Baby (For Making Someday Come So Soon) - Definitely a Red song. I like this one a lot. It almost reminds you of the light songs of the 70's done with big band music.

Waiter! Bring Me Water - I have to give this to Green. To me this is more Country style lyrics even though the music kind of reminds you of the musical The King & I.:D

What A Way To Wanna Be - I feel similar as I do about Thank You Baby, i.e., . it almost reminds you of the light songs of the 70's done with big band music. I don't like it as much as Thank You Baby though.

I Ain't Goin' Down - I like this song a lot. I believe it is more suited to be Green. Shania is giving the listener a strong message just as she did in BEBT.

I'm Not In The Mood (To Say No) - Definitely a Red song. I like this one too. It rocks steady.

In My Car (I'll Be The Driver) - One of my favorites on the CD. This is another one that could be big both in Red and Green.

When You Kiss Me - This is going to be one of the big songs from this CD. I think it will crossover much like FTMO.

Well that's it. I 'm sure my thoughts are not etched in stone and that I will probably make some adjustments in my feelings for all the songs of UP as time goes on, but for right now, these are my thoughts. Of course I realize some of you won't agree with me about some or all of my opinions, but that's why we have free-will.

Steve

cbspock
11-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Steve, have you listened to BLUE yet???? Check out Nah! and Not in the Mood.

-Chris

Steve F
11-28-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by cbspock
Steve, have you listened to BLUE yet???? Check out Nah! and Not in the Mood.

-Chris

Can't do it today, I'm busy eating Turkey, but tomorrow I will.

Steve

windcatcher
11-30-2002, 02:05 PM
well, i live in canada so we get the red/green version. i don't think any stores here have the blue version.... so if we want it, we gotta order it. ahhh, i wish i was older and richer!! then i could just order whatever i want without asking my parents. :(

anyways....

shania has outdone herself again. this album is truly amazing. i love both the red cd and the green cd. they both have different sounds to offer, which is great.

her few ballads are great. wish she recorded more though..... i love shania ballads!!

cbspock
12-15-2002, 11:37 PM
In the category of couldn't stand it at first....

"Ain't no Particular Way"... I hated this song at first, but the more I have listened to it...I really really like it.

-Chris

Debbie
12-15-2002, 11:42 PM
In the category of couldn't stand it at first....

"Ain't no Particular Way"... I hated this song at first, but the more I have listened to it...I really really like it.

-Chris

Oh me too. And I always found myself singing with it even when I didn't think that I liked it.;)

cbspock
12-15-2002, 11:51 PM
I like it because it is very different from what she has done in the past, so maybe that is why I was not warming up to the song at first.

Now, if she could make a cool video for it.

-Chris

Jud
12-16-2002, 01:40 AM
The same happened to me too! It's a groovy song, really great, now I like it very much!
Yes it's different, but that's what I like in this album so much, the artistic freedom Shania took, with so different songs she made a 'round' and very comlex album.

Steve F
12-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Well, after listening and listening and listening, I am going to say with confidence that overall, I prefer the RED Version of UP. This doesn't mean that I am going to let the GREEN one collect dust, but rather I'll use both. However, I am probably going to play the RED one more.

Now as far as songs go, I like UP a lot. At first it wasn't one of my favorites. IGGG is a lock. Juanita is a cool and pretty song. Guitar is great. F&FA has grown on me. I can safely say I like it a lot. I think she could have done it as a slower ballad as well, but it's cool. ANPW yes, it is different for Shania, but I love the beat, it's kind of bubble gum. IOHWIL is a nice song, but doesn't do that much for me, I don't know? NAH is a song that rocks, it's almost a reminder of Def Leppard. WGTKYTG, nice song kind of like 70's Country, e.g., Charlie Rich, Crystal Gayle, etc. CLV is cool. I can't help it, reminds me of ABBA and Dancing Queen. OF course there is the distinct possibility Mutt knows them. I'm Jealous, I'm hooked on this song. It grabs me the way FTMO does. It is very intimate. K-C is a cool song and I wouldn't be surprised to find on Shania's eventual Christmas album. TYB great big orchestra song, powerful. WBMW I think will be one of the songs most remembered from this CD. It is so different. The music throws everything at you but the kitchen sink. It's a real mood song. WAWTWB is not one of my big favorites, but it's okay. IAGD is to me one of the best songs on the CD. It sends a message that standing up for what you believe in is your call. IMC(IBTD) I love this song and I think it will be one of the treasured ones from the CD. WYKM is the nicest song on the CD. It is a love song for the ages. I know I left out a couple, but that was because I just didn't have anything to say about them.

Steve

Roger
12-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Steve, I agree with you on a number of things! I too generally prefer the red versions. I actually dislike the blue versions except for C'est la vie and In My Car but I don't like these two songs anyway....LOL

I was going to wait until I had reached definitive conclusions before posting all my views but what the heck. Here goes with my feelings so far:

Up - an okay song, very energetic but for some reason doesn't really grab me

IGGG - love it. Used to prefer the red. Now I prefer the green.

Pretty Face - quickly gets tiresome, too repetitious, message is too overt (for me)

Juanita - loved it from the moment I heard it , so simple, so beautiful, like the lyrics, don't see why men can't be inspired by them too

FAFA - love the tune, agree with you, Steve, should have been slower

No Particular Way - loved it at first, less so now

Breathing - love it

Nah - love it too, have already got that chorus memorized (LOL), like the attitude

WGTKYTG - good song, don't know why I don't like it better

C'est la vie - just don't like it, sounds like a poor ripoff of Dancing Queen

Jealous - beautiful song, even got a compliment from my wife (major accomlishment)

Ka-Ching - brilliant, tuneful, destined to be played ad infinitum as background to news reports on consumerism

Thank You Baby - good song but doesn't grab me

Waiter - funny, melodic, bold, lots of fun

What a Way to Wanna Be - this slipped by me at first but is now my favourite, is like something Abba would have done but unlike C'est la vie is not derivative

Ain't goin' Down - has grown on me, prefer the green version

Not in the Mood - an okay song

In My Car - just don't like it (what is wrong with me?), seems childish

When You Kiss Me - beautiful, dreamy, find myself singing along (not good news if you are within earshot)

Roger

DOC BILL
12-16-2002, 09:25 PM
It's gotten really simple for me guys-I love every song on the album. Which version I like very definately depends on my mood-for the most part it's the Red in my car, Green by the fireplace with my honey, and the Blue when I'm on the computer and the net's real slow. The closer I listen to the songs, the more I read the lyrics, the more I listen to the back-ground vocals the more I like them. I think there are 6 or so fantastic songs on the album and the rest are just excellent. This album is very different from Shania's past albums in mind but it's pointing to where she's headed in the future I think. I think the title UP! is all about Shania waking up as an artist/person-even the album cover appears to be of Shania "waking' up in the morning (sorta looks like my wife in the morning-LOL!). I think I've gotten beyond looking at individual songs per se and more into looking at the album as a piece of work as a whole and find it amazing. One opinion re the sequence of the songs on the album-I wouldn't have put Pretty Face and Juanita together-too much pro-women energy for me all at once! LOL DOC

cbspock
12-16-2002, 10:08 PM
LOL...the cover does look like she "just got outta bed"

Shania just keeps raising the bar higher and higher..like someone said in another thread, Shania is her own genre...lol :p

The one song on the album, I just don't like is Jaunita. I don't like the music on the red version, that horn or whatever it is in the beginning, should have been removed, I find it annoying. The green version is a little better.

Pretty Face..like the green version, it is a similair message as MIFLAW.

FAFA..the red version..if right up there with YSTO. One difference between Up! and COO, is that Up! is very subtle, where COO just takes off like a rocket.

-Chris

FV
12-17-2002, 12:53 AM
The one song on the album, I just don't like is Jaunita.
I have heard many male fans not liking Juanita..I wonder whether the song has some sort of gender barrier...:confused: I had to translate it into other languages to international male Shania fans who did not undertand the meaning of it...OO- and still they do not understand who Juanita is...:rolleyes: or whether this is a real person Shania is talking about..shrugs

cbspock
12-17-2002, 12:55 AM
Oh, I understand what the song is about, but I just don't like the music.

-Chris

DOC BILL
12-17-2002, 09:28 AM
I have a hard time imagining the music being any different than it ended up given the title and context of the lyrics. I like it my self-to each his/her own! LOL
FV-I think for a man to like Shania Twain, the artist, in a general sense and more specifically to like this album (paricularly songs like Juanita etc) that man needs to like (or at least respect) strong willed women. This album is definately an enpowering one for women. Shania loves singing about and writing about those type of issues-why? I could only guess based on all she's had to go thru to get to be the Queen of the moutain. I suspect Mutt has a tiger by the tail with our gal! DOC

Roger
12-17-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by FV

I have heard many male fans not liking Juanita..I wonder whether the song has some sort of gender barrier...:confused: I had to translate it into other languages to international male Shania fans who did not undertand the meaning of it...OO- and still they do not understand who Juanita is...:rolleyes: or whether this is a real person Shania is talking about..shrugs

Juanita was my first favourite song on this album. I think it still is. The melody is simple yet beautiful. I'm glad they didn't try to make it too fancy. I prefer the red version.

As for the message, I have no problem with strong independent women. If I had been uncomfortable around women, I would not have worked in a female dominated profession. Personally, I wish Shania would grow beyond the female empowerment theme. I have nothing against this but whether Shania sees it yet or not, men are just as much in need of liberation and empowerment as women, in fact more in my opinion - just in sometimes different ways. As regards Juanita, I don't see why Juanita can't be held up as a symbol of strength for men as well as women. The line "She lives in the heart of every woman in the world" could just as easily have been "She lives in the heart of every person in the world." Males from Jesus Christ to Albert Schweitzer have been held up as inspirational symbols for both sexes. Maybe we are now ready for female inspiration as well. Well, I'm ready anyway. Maybe that's one of the reasons I am such a big fan of Shania - strength combined with a human side. Juanita is Shania of course, whether Shania realizes it or not.

Roger

canadarocks
12-17-2002, 11:35 AM
I think, "JUANITA", IS FANTASTIC, one of the best tracks on the cd and one of SHANIAS, all time best songs.

The way SHANIA ,sings " juanita will unchain your heart "
gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.WOW!!!!!!!!!

FV
12-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Very interesting replies...:) I think as Shania herself has said I believe...she has pushed it a bit further with this album..those tapes that she kept to herself are starting to be heard more....in a certain sense I may wish for Shania to push the messages more strongly out there..but this may become controversial and I see why she does not do it....
If Juanita will ever be used also for men's empowerment as Roger hinted at....it will be very interesting to hear what Shania thinks about that possibility...:D

Originally posted by Roger
Juanita is Shania of course, whether Shania realizes it or not.
Roger
I think we can see it much better than Shania...lol..;)
So....we got Juanitas and Juanitos too...hehe

DOC BILL
12-17-2002, 05:59 PM
We men can use the song FV we just have to change the title to Jose'! LOL
Good discussion here. Shania is Juanita-no doubt. I'm sure she'd deny it but that's what's cool about her.
One of the most compelling issues on this album for me is this. You can tear it apart song by song if you like, you can analyze the stink out of it, you can get philosophical about it, you can like it or you can not like it but one thing I am quite certain of (and you all can be too)-This album is exactly the way Shania wanted it to be or we would not be listening to it right now 'cause it would not have been released-PERIOD!!! Shania feels it is her best work to this point-and I think we all agree! It's so good to have her back. DOC

cbspock
12-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by DOC BILL
? I could only guess based on all she's had to go thru to get to be the Queen of the moutain. I suspect Mutt has a tiger by the tail with our gal! DOC

More like a leapard...lol :p

-Chris

AINAHS
12-18-2002, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Roger

Juanita was my first favourite song on this album. I think it still is. The melody is simple yet beautiful. I'm glad they didn't try to make it too fancy. I prefer the red version.

As for the message, I have no problem with strong independent women. If I had been uncomfortable around women, I would not have worked in a female dominated profession. Personally, I wish Shania would grow beyond the female empowerment theme. I have nothing against this but whether Shania sees it yet or not, men are just as much in need of liberation and empowerment as women, in fact more in my opinion - just in sometimes different ways. As regards Juanita, I don't see why Juanita can't be held up as a symbol of strength for men as well as women. The line "She lives in the heart of every woman in the world" could just as easily have been "She lives in the heart of every person in the world." Males from Jesus Christ to Albert Schweitzer have been held up as inspirational symbols for both sexes. Maybe we are now ready for female inspiration as well. Well, I'm ready anyway. Maybe that's one of the reasons I am such a big fan of Shania - strength combined with a human side. Juanita is Shania of course, whether Shania realizes it or not.

Roger I could not agree more.

Sheri
12-18-2002, 12:17 PM
I agree, Doc. It IS her best release to date. I have no complaints about any songs on this CD. Each has it's own uniqueness and delivers its own message.

Am I the only one that's noticed that even her background vocals are more beautiful than ever? Amazing...

byrdman
12-18-2002, 12:36 PM

Am I the only one that's noticed that even her background vocals are more beautiful than ever? Amazing...

I noticed!!:D :D

They're fabulous and fantastic!!:D :D

Shania's voice is greater than ever!:)

Al

Debbie
12-18-2002, 12:55 PM
I agree, Doc. It IS her best release to date. I have no complaints about any songs on this CD. Each has it's own uniqueness and delivers its own message.

Sheri, I couldn't agree with you more. And I have also noticed her fantastic background vocals. :) As Doc has said "she is the total package" and once again she has shown us just that!:)

cbspock
12-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Is that Mutt singing backups in FAFA???

-Chris

Bryce
12-18-2002, 06:46 PM
Is that Mutt singing backups in FAFA???

-Chris

I think Shania said that the only ones singing on the album were her and Mutt.:D :D

Bryce

Sheri
12-18-2002, 11:10 PM
Yep, she did indeed say that.

Bryce, can I use FV's credit card for a couple days? I need to buy one more Up! Thanks. :D

AINAHS
12-18-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Bryce

I think Shania said that the only ones singing on the album were her and Mutt.:D :D

Bryce Yes indeed!

FV
12-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Bryce, can I use FV's credit card for a couple days? I need to buy one more Up! Thanks. :D
well since you are going to the store..lol..two copies for me too...xmas presents...:BL :dancing

Sheri
12-19-2002, 01:13 AM
SURE! Just... how close to maxing out ARE you, by the way.

Oh... and I'll have to check out Sears. I stopped at Sam Goody's, and they are completely sold out of Up! :D :D This is a good thing, but come ON, people, stock up! Hard to add to those sales if the CD's are not on the shelves!

mwdiston
12-26-2002, 01:55 AM
Wow! I couldn't think of a better word to describe Shania Twain's brand new cd. Her CD is not only remarkable in its artistic and musical merit but Shania's CD also contains many messages that make her CD somewhat different than other attempts by superstars to make their CDs have meaning. Instead of just one message, Shania uses a variety of messages which I think make Shania a great role-model for children. She mentions dead-end relationships and how to get out of them in her song, Nah. She also has an uplifting message in her title track UP! She says no matter how bad it is currently, there is always ways to be going "UP UP UP."
Furthermore, besides just having good moral messages, Shania Twain also manipulates the medium of speech and music. She first includes humour. This wit makes Shania stand out. Way To Go Shania. Your I'm Gonna Get You Good song manipulates the classic traditions of popular and country music so that your audience is impacted more by the song's message that, "Women can be the one who woo men." Second, the idea to put out more than one version of an album is also unique.

I just want to say that Shania Twain I think has create another hit in her new CD. Can't wait for the tour.

Jud
12-26-2002, 04:35 AM
Welcome on the board!
I agree with everything you said!

Roger
12-26-2002, 10:25 AM
Welcome to our messageboard, mwdiston!! Yep, Up! (the album) is a remarkable achievement.

Roger

Sheri
12-26-2002, 12:41 PM
Welcome to this Shania family, mw!!!!! :D

mwdiston
12-26-2002, 09:07 PM
I wasn't expecting such a warm welcome from my first post on this forum

Thank you everyone.. I look forward to posting more frequently

Mwdiston
;)

FV
12-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by mwdiston
Furthermore, besides just having good moral messages, Shania Twain also manipulates the medium of speech and music. She first includes humour. This wit makes Shania stand out.
Very well said! :BL Welcome to the board mwdiston! HI!

IntimateRiver
12-27-2002, 10:28 PM
I've read some negative reviews, but most of them sounded a bit made UP. Kind of like T ball, where what they were saying had more to do with the person writing the review then the actual CD. I find this to be true in most of the arts, too many people writing reviews know what they are going to say before they even open their eyes or ears. It is all about them, what a fancy whitty writer they can be..

My first reaction to the Red CD was not so great, and I rarely if ever play it, maybe one day I will pull it out and like it, maybe I will do that tonight now that I have a new CD player. Generally, I felt that the singing did not match the music, too many country overtones where it did not work. I would have liked her to change the voice tracks a bit also, so it really was a different version of the song. I think the voice is an instrument and can't just be thrown in with other guitars and such unchanged!

I have not heard the blue CD, so no comment.

I immediately liked the Green CD. I think the singing flies over the instruments and plays with them perfectly. I also think the CD is chuck full of original tunes, some of them great!! Time will tell what is remembered and what is not, my guess is that “Ka-Ching,” and “Waiter, Bring Me Water,” among others, will find there way into American mainstream culture, and be recognized five, ten or even twenty and thirty years from now. Who knows if any will be as recognizable as say, "Hey Jude," but who knows.

I have also noticed some sophomore bashing of Shania. I know this is her fourth album, but to much of the music world, it is only her second, because they never heard of her before COO was released. Ya, I'm one of those!! Well, here is the thing, COO was such a smash hit that obliterated music boundaries, that some of the people writing about UP, bash Shania’s new CD because it does not break as much new ground as COO did. My god, how far do they expect one singer to go, all the way to Mars or something, and what then, on to another galaxy or two? I think Shania came into her own with COO, and unless she started taking LSD and went into a retro sixties acidophilus punk heathen sssccrreeaammmmm a lot of people were going to bash her as staying on safe ground. Hey, she built the foundation, why shouldn't she live in the house????????????/ gary

mwdiston
12-27-2002, 11:20 PM
You seem to speak quite loudly which is good. Here is my take on several of the comments you made.

"I've read some negative reviews, but most of them sounded a bit made UP"
Well, that is quite possible. This point fallaciously assumes that the person has some sort of bias towards shania or her music that might make them write a bad review of her cd. Also, it could be quite the opposite and maybe the person actually has a good point of view that was not artificially constructed.

"too many people writing reviews know what they are going to say before they even open their eyes or ears."
Just because a lot of people write reviews about something, does that mean that they didn't open their eyes or ears in the first place? sounds a little illogical to me. For example, a lot of people write a review on say the play "Hamlet" does that mean that they didn't open their eyes or ears to the art form. I think actually they have to at least be aware in one way or another of the thing they are reviewing.

"a fancy whitty writer they can be"
Well, a lot of them probably want to critique something in order to make their opinion noticed not necessarily to be recognized as a whitty writer. Instead, rather than their sentence structure being noticed, the author of a review would like to have the merit of their review recognized.

"I have also noticed some sophomore bashing of Shania."
Sophomore bashing?
"god, how far do they expect one singer to go, all the way to Mars or something, and what then, on to another galaxy or two?"
Tbe Up vs. COO debate. How Big Will this CD become? Well, for the last 5 weeks it has been the top of record sale charts. No one knows how big the cd will become nor should we for obvious resons. Many of the songs on this CD will be hits because they have a catchy tune and good lyrics.
Shania can only go as far as she wants. I don't think anyone wants her to go "all the way to Mars" perhaps just to write some more music and to stay true to herself.

Thanks ;)
Michael

cbspock
12-28-2002, 12:00 AM
LOL!!!!

It is a pretty big house too...lol :p Look what happened when Faith burned down the house with CRY, they went right for her throat.

-Chris

cbspock
12-28-2002, 12:02 AM
Shania can only go as far as she wants. I don't think anyone wants her to go "all the way to Mars" perhaps just to write some more music and to stay true to herself.

I think Marvin would love her to..lol :p

-Chris

IntimateRiver
12-29-2002, 08:20 PM

Thanks
Michael

Michael, thanks for the critique of my critique.

Most of the critiques I've read over the last decade come from the visual art world, and I've grown weary of reading too much written creative babble that seems to have little to do with the creative art work being discussed and everything to do with how creative, superior and intellectual the writer can sound. I LIKE to write, and so I hold writers to my own standards, and that's that the essence comes before the flowers. Some of the reviews I have read of “UP,” have indeed sounded like they were written after the author listened carefully to the album, but alas, from what I could tell, others did not.

It does not matter to me if someone liked or disliked the CD. I don't shy away from a good argument and I generally enjoy people who have views different than I do, but I have never liked canned statements. gary

Joni
12-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Well at this time songs that didn't catch me the first time around are under my skin! Mainly, ANPW, (IWKY)TG, TYB and INITM (love the red version beginning!) And yes, W!BMW!

Three are still not under my skin but I can appreciate the vocals and style.

There's much conversation about Juanita. I listen to hear Shania and what she does vocally but .......... I do believe if we all get in touch with ourselves we are free and able to do things. And I am in the category of a strong willed woman. This song just doesn't inspire me in that way. Put in the room with Roger, I would like it more if if was a general message for every person.
Now I do find myself singing along I can't help it but it has more to do with the phrasing and style that catches me instead of the words.
I think I've said it before but I see more woman rallying behind a song like "WAWTWB" instead of "J"

IAGD......This is definitely a country song IMO. I wonder what the message will say to certain individuals. Some it will give them pride...some it could anger them because they did give their babies up for adoption. I was thinking about the song and is she not going down because she's working hard as a result of her decision or because what she believes is so strong (keep the baby)........I'm not sure. Anyway.....again I sing along, but.....

IMC.....bottomline. I like more control than just in my car! My husband can buy his own razors and I don't like his choice in ice cream,LOL! And I don't know where the "hole in my shoe" came from? I think it's just a fun song again I listen for the vocals and certain things in the style catch me but.....

There has also been talk about SNJAPF. I say this has "hit"all over it! Love the vocals! Love the back and forth of professions...I can hear it in the back round of commercials!

I guess the real bottomline is that any of these songs if I heard them in a store, on the radio, at a concert, my lips would be flapping away singing along and that is a huge accomplishment for an artist! This is a wonderful CD!

Joni

AINAHS
01-08-2003, 06:18 AM
(Y)UP!:D

John
01-18-2003, 12:01 PM
I LOVE IT! my fav song is NAH!

Jud
01-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Many of us think, Nah! is the best.
Welcome on the board!

kirppu
01-19-2003, 02:02 PM
(Y)UP!:D LOL! hehe

kirppu
01-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by John
I LOVE IT! my fav song is NAH! Nah! rules! :D

Squidzit
05-23-2003, 02:06 PM
This album is the freshest thing I have heard since the first time I heard Stevie Ray Vaughan. The title is very appropriate, this album is very Up! The music is great, the lyrics are great, the singing is great, the album concept, artwork, and production are great. What else can I say, it's great...........hey, I'm a big Shania fan, on the Shania boards, you didn't expect a bad review did you?

HEY1

tes
07-28-2003, 07:57 PM
this album is sooo good....i always end "up" with a smile on my face after i listened to it....the lyrics in there r soo creative...nothing that i've heard b4...it's just sooo great...adults childrens will love it....favorite songs in there are Nah!,I'm gonna get u good!

Steve F
07-29-2003, 09:32 AM
I agree. I never thought UP would surpass COO for me, but the more I listen to the songs the more I think so. My wife is just the opposite. She prefers COO and especially likes TDIMM. Commercially, I don't think it will top COO. Even with the upcoming tour 35 Million sales Worldwide is a big task when maybe it's sold 10 Worldwide so far. But Shania never ceases to amaze me so we'll see. Don't misread me here. I love all of her work. The WIM is a fantastic album as is COO, but there is just something a little more tantalizing in UP. Maybe it's the new capture of her natural voice on the songs, maybe it's the words and music, maybe it's the themes, or maybe it's a little bit of each. I don't know. Chris said something in the opening of his report from Chicago that just about sums it all "UP!" "THE LADY IS BACK!" That about says it all.:)

Steve

matteotempo
08-17-2003, 08:25 AM
Hi everybody!
I'm new, here. I want to post here my Up! review. I live in Italy, but I bought by Internet the North-American version of Up!
I LOVE IT!!!! I like the red version (Up! particularly) but I'm TOTALLY IN LOVE with the green version.
I think the best songs are She's Not JUst A Pretty Face, Forever And For Always but, above all, NAH! I think this is the best song Shania had ever written.
I don't like, however, Ain't No Particula Way. I don't know why, maybe the rythym, I really don't know.

cbspock
08-17-2003, 08:32 AM
Welcome to the board!!

-Chris

Jud
08-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Hi Matteo,

so finally find us! It was nice to meet you in London!
(except if you're another Matteo)

FV
08-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Welcome Matteo!HI! I love NAH! myself.....hopefully we'll get it as a single...you got Thank You, Baby! In Europe....we'll see what we will get here....:BL
Buona Domenica e Studia un po'...:p ;) Preparati per i concerti in Germania a febbraio...:GL

Bob
08-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by FV
Welcome Matteo!HI! I love NAH! myself.....hopefully we'll get it as a single...you got Thank You, Baby! In Europe....we'll see what we will get here....:BL
Buona Domenica e Studia un po'...:p ;) Preparati per i concerti in Germania a febbraio...:GL

Ahah! Another language puzzle. I don't know Italian, but can decode some of it using latin roots.

Don't know what Domenico means, but in context seems to be approximately this:
'Good luck in study of po (?poly sci/the longest river in Italy). Ready for the concert in Germany in February.'

HomerSimpson
08-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Welcome Matteo !

HI!

tower
08-23-2003, 05:14 AM
My favourite revue of UP! is on the STC site. I can never remember the URL but you can read it here at the bottom of this page. It gives me goose bumps as it is the sort of thing I would write, as if it was plucked out of my head somehow!

http://www.tower-electronics.com/shania.html

Wannagettoknow
11-16-2003, 04:42 AM
Up is the best since coo

DOC BILL
11-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Really nice pic! Love your username and the song. Actually got Shania to sign the sheet music for it at the Cleveland concert! DOC

FV
11-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Wannagettoknow
Up is the best since coo
No doubt about that! :D Welcome to the messageboard Wannagettoknow! :) Have you seen Shania in concert this fall already?

Wannagettoknow
11-16-2003, 12:25 PM
not yet but i am on the 26/02/04 in manchester i live in the uk

Jud
11-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Up is the best since coo

hard to go wrong here;)
Welcome on the board!

Sheri
11-16-2003, 01:10 PM
WELCOME Wannagettoknow. I can see know that every time I read one of your posts, I'll be humming a certain wonderful song. :D

tower
11-16-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Wannagettoknow
not yet but i am on the 26/02/04 in manchester i live in the uk

Welcome to the Boards. Keep my place for me as I can't post from where I am going for the next 4 months (The Antarctic)

Tom last night in the UK for 4 months.

hepa
03-19-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by hepa

10 POINTS
2. Nah!
6. I'm Gonna Getcha Good
7. Up!

9 POINTS
8. When You Kiss Me
10. I'm Jealous
14. In My Car

8 POINTS
15. Juanita
16. C'est La Vie
17. (WGTKY) That Good!
18. I ain't Going Down
19. I'm Not In The Mood

Interesting to see that my taste hasn't changed that much! :)
This listing was done after I had listened to the CD 5 times.....

Today, my list would look like this

10 points
1. Nah!
2. Ka-Ching
3. Thank You Baby
4. It Only hurts When I Breathe
5. What A Way to Wanna Be
6. I'm Gonna Getcha Good
7. UP!
8. Forever And For Always
9. In My Car

9 Points
10. I'm Jealous
11. Ain't No Particular Way
12. Waiter! Bring Me Water!
13. When You Kiss Me
14. She's Not Just A Pretty face
15. (WGTKY)That Good!
16. I'm Not Going Down

8 points
17. C'est La Vie
18. I'm Not In The Mood
19. Juanita

Kinda the same kind of taste I still have! :)
Well, I just had to UPdate my list!

cbspock
03-19-2004, 12:21 PM
hehe hehe hehe hehe hehe

-Chris

Marieke_Kurvers
03-31-2004, 03:19 PM
My reviews of Up?

http://india.messageboard.nl/4435/images/smiles/jumping%20kleurtje%20veel.gif

I'm very, very, very positiv about it!!! :HG Who isn't?!? ;)

When I bought it, I had to hear the songs a few times, but I was so thrilled I loved them from the beginning. I'd only the red and blue version, but now I've the green version also and that's my favourite c.d.

I like many nummers on the c.d, it's very hard to choose wich one I like the most; I think 'Forever and for always' and 'I ain't goin' down'.

http://india.messageboard.nl/4435/images/smiles/tekst-toppie.gif

I don't have much to say anymore, you guys already said all the good things!

Love, Marieke