PDA

View Full Version : Is This Guy 1 Short of a Dozen Krispy Kremes?:mad:

Steve F
11-29-2002, 02:23 PM
I read this article today in our "What's Happening insert to our Newspaper. It is written by Boston Globe Staff Writer and Music Critic, Steve Morse. I found it totally depressing and way off base. I had to scan this and copy it here, so I may have missed some errors in words, but I think you'll have no trouble getting the idea. I have also included my response to the Boston Globe's e-mail feedback which I have identified at the bottom of this article. Whether I hear from them, I can't say, but at least I gave them an honest response without blowing my top. :mad:

SHANIA TWAIN'S SELF-MARKETING IS DOUBLE TROUBLE

If you thought Shania Twain was the top-selling artist of the '90s, then pat yourself on the back, because you're right. She moved 50 million records during the decade, proving that sexy videos and bubble-gum pop were what the music business - and many fans - wanted. And, no surprise, it's what she offers again with her new album, "Up!," which comes out today.

The formula, though, is growing staler by the minute. Perhaps the clearest evidence that Twain is all about the marketing is that the new album comes in two versions: The first CD is sanded-down pop (and bears a photo of Twain looking like a teeny-bopper in halter top and pigtails), while the second has the same 19 songs but with countrified production (Twain wears a cowboy hat this time), with fiddIe, banjo, and pedal steel added. The country version is better, though some of it sounds really tinny.

"Up!" is more often a downer, as Twain sounds like someone making cookie-cutter replicas of past songs but with worse (and dumber) lyrics. In fact, lyrically speaking, she makes Britney Spears sound like a Rhodes scholar. Many titles feature exclamation points that only point up the forced absurdity of such tracks as "I'm Gonna Getcha Good!" (the sugary new sin-
gle), "I'm Not in the Mood (To Say No!)," "What aWay to Wanna Be!," "(Wanna Get to Know You) That Good!," "Thank You Baby! (For Makin' Someday Come So Soon)" and "Waiter! Bring Me Water!"

Excuse me, bring some aspirin while you're at it!

Some of Twain's past hits have been certifiable guilty pleasures, including "Don't Be Stupid"' and "That Don't Impress Me Much," which helped put this Canadian glamour girl on the map. But
the new album doesn't have as much sass and spunk as her previous highs; too often it slips into vapid schmaltz; more fitting for a Disney ice show.

Twain, 37, moved three years ago to a 100-room, 18th-century castle in Switzerland with her husband/producer, Robert "Mutt" Lange, with whom she has a 1-year old child, Eja (pronounced "Asia"). She's been living a dream life, but this new album is more like a nightmare. Songs that were supposed to be fun often end up treacly and embarrassing. In the gloppy "Nah," she sings, "1 miss you now and then, but would I do it all over- Nah!" It seems kind of funny on paper, but try listening to the chorus more than once without wincing.

In the grating "C'est la Vie," she sings, "The daily life can freak
your mind, but life isn't all that bad." And in the sleepy ballad
"I'm Jealous," she declares, "When the sun's on your skin, I can't
hold it in And I know it's a sin, but I'm jealous of the sun/ I wish I were the rain runnin' down your neck and drippin' from your fingers/ Then I could be the drops rollin' off your back; I'd love
to let it linger." Zzzzz.

Lange's production of this disc often misses the mark. As the for-
mer producer of rock acts such as Def Leppard and the Cars, he can't resist shameless allusions to various rock songs. "Ka-Ching!" opens with a cash register sound that seems lifted from Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon," while "She's Not Just a Pretty Face" has a trebly, U2-style guitar intro that is close to plagiarism. Lange has used such gimmicks before, but it's getting tiresome. There are a couple of empowerment songs, the best of
which is "Pretty Face" (about women who can become astronauts and - gasp -even journalists if they want to), but there's nothing remotely as powerful as the antiabuse song "Black Eyes, Blue Tears" from her last album, "Come on Over" (which sold 34 million
copies worldwide).

You want a bottom line? Most of this new album feels like recycled marketing ideas rather than music that strives for any growth.

==========

I could not find and e-mail address for Steve Morse, but I did find a feed-back address for the Boston Globe which is the newspaper he writes for:

http://www.globe.com/globe/feedback/

HERE IS MY COMMENTS TO THE GLOBE:

I read an article today in my local Kennebec Journal newspaper, Augusta, ME, by Steve Morse of your staff regarding Shania Twain's new CD UP. It is a free Country and everyone has a right to their own opinion, but I really have to take exception to it. When you diss Shania you are making millions of her fans mad. Mr. Morse can tear her down all he wants, but in the end Shania's "Gonna Get Him Good" with her continuing success. Apparently he thinks she just another singer, but this lady is an extremely talented songwriter and singer. Critics like Steve Morse said the same type of things about her previous album Come On Over, but everyone knows what happened there, so I will take his off the wall comments as a joke. Shania can only go "Up, up, up from here.

======

Steve

spike
11-29-2002, 02:52 PM
This really makes me sad how they are being so cruel to Shania and Mutt.. :(

Shania will prove them wrong though!

spike

Roger
11-29-2002, 03:54 PM
Steve, if you want to make this guy feel uncomfortable, why not send him one or two of the glowing reviews reproduced elsewhere on the board? Ask if he is reviewing the same album. He may then get the feeling he has missed the boat.

Roger

canadarocks
11-29-2002, 07:42 PM
Thank GOD, people buy the cds and not the critics.
:D

cbspock
11-29-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by canadarocks
Thank GOD, people buy the cds and not the critics.
:D

So, if he knows so much about music production, songwriting, and singing..where is his brilliant album???? Oh, yeah, that is why he is a bitter critic.

I think Roger has a awesome idea. In about 12 months, I think this guy will be eating some of that Shania Crow.

-Chris

syd
11-30-2002, 04:56 PM
I get a real charge out of these music critics!Ever since Shania first hit the scene
there has been no lack of negative commentary
on her music,lyrics or appearance.

The first one I can recall is her being called
"The highest paid lap dancer in America",and that
her music wasn't country. Seems to me that, since
then,there have been more than a few country artists coming out with videos that look very similar in appearance.

After the success of the "Woman in Me" and "Come On Over" CDs,the
so called critics were saying that she was just a
studio creation and couldn't perform live. Haven't
heard anymore on that one since her tour began. I have been waiting for the release of "Up" if only to hear what the latest "nit-picking" would entail. Well, my wait is over because, apparently,the CD consists of mostly "bubble gum" lyrics and,the biggest crime of all,(gasp),punctuation. Far too many exclamation
marks. Tsk,tsk,tsk!!!

I wonder what will be next! With so many millions of CDs purchased by fans that age from anywhere between 10 and 60 years old, it would appear that you can be a "bubble gummer" at any age and, that when purchasing an album that you enjoy listening to, the least of your concerns is an excess in puntuation marks!

Roger
11-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Great first post, syd!! Welcome to the board!

Roger

AINAHS
11-30-2002, 06:57 PM
Here is that turkey's email address, etc.:

Morse, Stephen P
Living Arts / News (617) 929-2810
morse@globe.com

AINAHS
12-01-2002, 01:17 AM
I asked Mr Morse where his head was at to write a review like he did.

He said his head is in new albums by Kelly Willis and Billy Joe Shaver.

He said he liked a lot of Shania's earlier work but that her formula is wearing thin on him now.

He thinks she should work with another producer - that it might rejuvenate things.

cbspock
12-01-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by AINAHS

He said he liked a lot of Shania's earlier work but that her formula is wearing thin on him now.

He thinks she should work with another producer - that it might rejuvenate things.

Did you ask him where his album is, if he knows so much about making them..lol :p

-Chris

AINAHS
12-01-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by cbspock

Did you ask him where his album is, if he knows so much about making them..lol :p

-Chris I will leave that to you!:D

cbspock
12-01-2002, 10:09 AM
Work with a different producer??? Why would she want to do that? She works with the best one in the business. Last time she worked with another producer, her album did poorly.

-Chris

Roger
12-01-2002, 10:34 AM

Well AINAHS, you know you can't please all of the people all of the time There are some people who just don't like Shania's style. I wouldn't waste my time trying to confront them. Shania doesn't need them.

Roger

AINAHS
12-01-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by cbspock
Work with a different producer??? Why would she want to do that? She works with the best one in the business. Last time she worked with another producer, her album did poorly.

-Chris Mebbe Morse wants her to fail, eh?

AINAHS
12-01-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Roger

Well AINAHS, you know you can't please all of the people all of the time There are some people who just don't like Shania's style. I wouldn't waste my time trying to confront them. Shania doesn't need them.

Roger No confrontation - just was curious why this guy was so down on her.

Steve F
12-01-2002, 01:14 PM
I haven't been able to visit the Board since Friday when I posted this. I wasn't going to bother to post it at all, but then I thought why should this guy get away scot-free with such a writeup. I knew if I posted it, somebody would try to set him straight. It certainly is like night and day with the one in this week's 12-06-02 editin of Entertainment Weekly. For those who haven't heard about it as yet, it is on Page 92. The cover has the article title "VIDEO GAME NATION." It is by a writer named Chris Willman. Either Morse and Willman didn't listen to the same CD or something is strange. This guy starts out by saying: " On her aptly titled 'UP', Shania Twain follows happy trails, with ABBA-solutely fabulous results. Then he analyses the CDs and admits he likes the Green disc a little better, and in the end, he rates the Green disc A-, the Red disc B+, and Overall A. Now he isn't saying this is the best album ever to come out, but at least he is providing criticism respectfully. Perhaps Mr. Morse should have got together with Chris Willman and some of the other writers before going on an anti-Shania tirade.:mad: Although, after skimming some of his recent reviews of other artists, I don't think Shania has the market on his nasty reviews. He seems to not like a lot of stuff.:confused:

Steve

AINAHS
12-01-2002, 02:13 PM
He seems to like Kelly Willis and Billy Joe Shaver, two artists who have small but appreciative audiences.

Maybe he thinks artists with large audiences are undeserving of critical praise. Especially those produced by people like Mutt, eh?

Steve F
12-01-2002, 02:27 PM
He seems to like Kelly Willis and Billy Joe Shaver, two artists who have small but appreciative audiences.

Maybe he thinks artists with large audiences are undeserving of critical praise. Especially those produced by people like Mutt, eh?

Yep, I waited quite a while before I sent an e-mail [which I haven't yet rreceived a response-probably won't] because "I was so ripped, especially about I'm Jealous. I love this song.:)

Steve