PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Christmas Music

Joni
12-20-2002, 08:38 AM
Any one else find that they are listening to less Christmas music this year? I'm one of those people that ALWAYS would have the Christmas music playing but....well........I just can't get enough of UP!:)

Joni

Roger
12-20-2002, 09:32 AM
Well, there are two issues here. About Christmas music, I don't like to play Christmas music before about now. I think all music loses its power if you play it too much. It does with me anyway. I avoid playing Christmas music early precisely because when Christmas really comes I want Christmas music to still have that power over me to set the Christmas mood. That much is true every year for me. I actually resent hearing Christmas carols in the shopping centres weeks before the 25th.

Now, as to other music, in another thread someone asked what people were listening to. Well, I have just no interest in listening to anything other than Up! right now. Now while Up! is still fresh, it gives me a degree of enjoyment that no other music anywhere can give. If I'm missing something from some other artist, that's okay. I can always catch up later. But I know I am unlikely to enjoy it as much as I am enjoying Up! right now.

Roger

Steve F
12-20-2002, 10:43 AM
I agree with Roger about playing Christmas too early, it loses it's punch that way. We have a local radio station that starts playing Christmas around the clock beginning December 1st and right on through till the 25th. It is more Christmas music than I need to hear. "Do you hear what I hear?":eek:

I want a new Christmas CD by Carly Simon. She was a guest on Regis & Kelly a couple of weeks ago. So far I can't find it which is upsetting. I try to get one new Christmas CD each year.

Steve

Joni
12-20-2002, 10:58 AM
Well guys believe it or not I usually start towards the end of October.......It's strange but I feel like I can't listen to it after Christmas and to me the "build up" to the day is the best so I start early:) It also may stem from my Choir days when music was started for practice at this time of year in Oct.

Joni

Sheri
12-20-2002, 12:24 PM
When I'm in my car, it's Up! and nothing else but! When I'm at work, it's Christmas and nothing else but. They started after Thanksgiving with a mix of Christmas and contemporary, then every day it was a little more Christmas and less contemporary, and for the last week or so it's been completely Christmas. A bit too much for me. I love carols, but I enjoyed them more when it was mixed in.

Bryce
12-20-2002, 12:54 PM
I'm not much of a Christmas person. In fact I may be about the only one here who isn't hoping Shania does a Christmas album. I'm one of those who acctualy count down the days till Boxing day. LOL

The only two Christmas songs I like are John Lennon's Happy Xmas, and Do they Know Its Christmas by Band Aid. I've listened to both this season. Other than that its been all UP!!!

Bryce

Debbie
12-20-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Joni
Any one else find that they are listening to less Christmas music this year? I'm one of those people that ALWAYS would have the Christmas music playing but....well........I just can't get enough of UP!:)

Joni

Joni, that is exactly me! I even turned on some Christmas music and listened to about two songs and then said "Nah" I want to listen to "UP!" again and again and again! :D

LoonEchoes
12-20-2002, 11:35 PM
I played a few of my favorite songs from CĂ©line's album, but other than that, I haven't played any Christmas music, or any other music besides Up! :)

froush
12-21-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Joni

Joni

I have noticed less Christmas music on the radio stations I listen to than in the past.

A lot of years I think the stations play too much (and I like Christmas music).

I know there has to be a balance between the wall-to-wall music of Christmas' past and the virtually none this season.

Mary R
12-23-2002, 12:02 AM
Well Joni, I have to say that I usually play a lot of Christmas music during the holiday season, BUT ever since UP has been released I just can't get enough of it! So my Christmas music playing has been slacking!

Steve F, about a month ago while looking in Wal-mart at the Christmas cd's I found the new Barry Manilow and Carly Simon X-mas ones. My hubby told me that I should get both, but I thought, nah, one new one a year is good enough, so I got the Barry one. But after thinking about it I decided that since I really enjoy Carly Simon's music too, I'll go out and see if I can find it. Needless to say, I couldn't. But I haven't checked in Sam Goody yet, so if it's not in there then I could just kick myself for not listening to the hubby in the 1st place! :( Because now I missed out on Carly's X-mas cd. But hey, I really am enjoying the Barry cd! And I for one can't wait to hear a Christmas cd from Shania! Maybe next year!

Mary R