PDA

View Full Version : I hate the Up! video! :(

InMyCar2003
01-23-2003, 10:03 AM
I am sorry guys but this is the first time I have ever hated anything that Shania has ever done...I cant believe I dont like it! It just seems really boring and lame, not to mention the speed of it makes it look kinda stupid! Please no one get mad at me but if you agree with me lets talk about it! :) Thanks Guys!

jen
01-23-2003, 10:11 AM
:( NAH!!!!:D I think it is genius and alot of fun!

FV
01-23-2003, 10:18 AM
I think it is fun too....the motion speed of the video in my opinion was used on purpose to make it look funny...:BL life is that way: multiple speed and crazy!:D so it can only go UP! from there...:)

InMyCar2003
01-23-2003, 10:56 AM
I think its a fun video but I was hoping for something more colorful and outhere.....I really didnt think it was as good as if Paul would of did something with her. I cant wait for the next video

Jud
01-23-2003, 12:11 PM
IMC2003, everything is a question of taste.
Paul Boyd made the IGGG video, and it's just doesn't do it for me. So...I'm patiently waiting to see UP! somehow, because through the net it's always break uP! the picture for me.

Sheri
01-23-2003, 12:12 PM
It's one of my favorite videos she's ever done. :D It just SCREAMS of her personality. No matter what mood I'm in, when that video starts, I have to laugh. She SO doesn't take herself seriously.

AINAHS
01-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by InMyCar2003
I am sorry guys but this is the first time I have ever hated anything that Shania has ever done...I cant believe I dont like it! It just seems really boring and lame, not to mention the speed of it makes it look kinda stupid! Please no one get mad at me but if you agree with me lets talk about it! :) Thanks Guys! I think this video by that eminent Finn AJ is cute as a button!:D

Steve F
01-23-2003, 02:03 PM
I agree the video is cute and I do like it because it gives us a little inside look into things remembered by her which is very important. However, I don't feel this video is going to do a lot for her career. I do believe it will get fairly good exposure and some success on CMT, GAC, etc., but not on VH1 or other Pop medias. To me this isn't a strong video like IGGG even though I do like the song a lot. I have also noticed UP is not climbing too fast up the charts. It's kind of like RTC, that is maybe it should have been put out near the end of the CD's run. Maybe I'm all wet, but that's my opinion. IGGG is not the strongest song either, but I disagree on the video. I think the video is awesome. It's one of her best ever. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry but that's my opinion on this. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong, but I just don't think so. I will be glad to say so if I am.:)

Steve

Jud
01-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Steve, the problem with the charts is quite complex, and sometimes unclear. For example the charts became very slow, it takes 18-22 weeks for a song to get no. 1. And in the last 8 month circa, there was no female no 1 including the singles of the Chicks (Long Time Gone and Landslide). So UP! is doing fairly well till now, relatievly better than IGGG. But UP!'s problem is Traveling Solder, I'm sure the radio will make it a no 1 (not that the song doesn't deserve it), so the chances for UP! more top 5.
But there is another factors in the industry, the politics, which can turn some things upside-down.

Ah, and sorry, but I won't change my mind about the IGGG video.

Debbie
01-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Sheri
It's one of my favorite videos she's ever done. :D It just SCREAMS of her personality. No matter what mood I'm in, when that video starts, I have to laugh. She SO doesn't take herself seriously.

Sheri, I totally agree with you!! :D

cbspock
01-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by InMyCar2003
I think its a fun video but I was hoping for something more colorful and outhere.....I really didnt think it was as good as if Paul would of did something with her. I cant wait for the next video

Colorful and out there...Up! sure is.

The symbolism of the whole video screams "Shania" and Shania looks really cute, and all the little looks and stuff are all tongue in cheek.

-Chris

kirppu
01-25-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by cbspock
The symbolism of the whole video screams "Shania" and Shania looks really cute, and all the little looks and stuff are all tongue in cheek.

-Chris Yup! :D I just looooove the video!!! It is so adorable and funny and UP! hehe :D

DOC BILL
01-25-2003, 09:16 AM
I Love this video! I just wish she would have slowed it done a bit. I'm afraid everytime I watch it I'm gona have a seizure or something! LOL Other than the speed bumps I think this is one of her best videos of the Non-sexpot variety. LOL

PokeesAngel
01-25-2003, 11:29 AM
I love the "UP!" video! There are about 3 parts that I litterally laugh out loud when I see them. I love it, it's very fun. And the Canadian flag... HEHE! YEAH BAYBEE!!! The memory thing is amazing... I love how her parents are shown when the song says "Ya gotta keep on holdin' on."... Awwwwww. I have actually watched most of the video is slow mo... how cute! The quick motion things are funny... yep, I really like this video. :)

Mary R
01-25-2003, 04:26 PM
Gotta give a :Bthumb 's UP to the UP video! I really think it's a cute video too! I find myself smiling at a lot at this video! Got a kick out of when Shania was having a little tug of war with the poochie over her top from the TDIMM video! And Shania sharing some family photos was touching.

And I love the IGGG video! Fantastic computer graphics and then some!

Mary R

cbspock
01-25-2003, 04:39 PM
I am still trying to figure out the the following:

What does the dog represent?
What does the paper airplane symbolize?
Opening the jar?

Anyone else notice when she enters the room, she is sitting on the wall.

I think the whole concept of the rotating room is cool...you don't know which way is up.

One of the best Shania moments in the video is at the end, when she is lying on the ceiling looking down at the floor, wiggling her feet....it's priceless.

-Chris

PokeesAngel
01-25-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by cbspock
I am still trying to figure out the the following:

What does the dog represent?
What does the paper airplane symbolize?
Opening the jar?

Anyone else notice when she enters the room, she is sitting on the wall.

I think the whole concept of the rotating room is cool...you don't know which way is up.

One of the best Shania moments in the video is at the end, when she is lying on the ceiling looking down at the floor, wiggling her feet....it's priceless.

-Chris

The dog... my guess... cuz she loves animals! Sure is an adorable addition to the video. hehe
Paper plane... my guess... bring it together! HAHA, I danno...
The jar... maybe symbolizes she has control of her emotions and actions... HA!

As for the ceiling... the way I personally see it... she's never on the ceiling. I thought she went up the ladder, to the attic, sits on the floor, puts stuff on the wall, and when she is laying down wiggling her toes, she is looking at the side wall, and she is on the wall oposite that wall. Or no?! LOL...

T

Sheri
01-25-2003, 07:41 PM
I wondered if opening that jar doesn't represent how everything just... exploded. She went from having a less than successful first album to this international superstar. And all of that threatened to overwhelm her. If you'll notice, her initial expression when the gust hits her after opening the jaw wasn't one of joy, but then as she surveyed everything that came from that jar, the joy returned.

cbspock
01-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by PokeesAngel

The dog... my guess... cuz she loves animals! Sure is an adorable addition to the video. hehe
Paper plane... my guess... bring it together! HAHA, I danno...
The jar... maybe symbolizes she has control of her emotions and actions... HA!

As for the ceiling... the way I personally see it... she's never on the ceiling. I thought she went up the ladder, to the attic, sits on the floor, puts stuff on the wall, and when she is laying down wiggling her toes, she is looking at the side wall, and she is on the wall oposite that wall. Or no?! LOL...

T

If you watch when she is sitting opening the box, she is on the wall, the door is next to her.

-Chris

cbspock
01-25-2003, 08:46 PM
I wondered if opening that jar doesn't represent how everything just... exploded. She went from having a less than successful first album to this international superstar. And all of that threatened to overwhelm her. If you'll notice, her initial expression when the gust hits her after opening the jaw wasn't one of joy, but then as she surveyed everything that came from that jar, the joy returned.

Okay..I just watched it again, and to continue your thought. When she closes the jar, she touches the stuff hanging around her, and it moves to her touch, I guess showing she has control.

-Chris

Sheri
01-25-2003, 08:57 PM
Oh, I LIKE it Chris. She's regained control. Geez, rereading mine... my typos are really nasty. I guess I just get so involved, I get careless. ;)

cbspock
01-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Oh, I LIKE it Chris. She's regained control. Geez, rereading mine... my typos are really nasty. I guess I just get so involved, I get careless. ;)

She also "pets" the picture of Tim. I also assume that the AC/DC shirt is supposed to represent Mutt, or is that what the puppy represents?

-Chris

AINAHS
01-26-2003, 01:53 PM
That is a puppy?:eek:

CherryBaby
01-28-2003, 04:32 AM
I love the Up! video and I am going to take a crack at these mystery items and tell my thoughts and theories

-Dog and AC/DC shirt=Mutt
-Jar and wind,etc=Her career,etc
-Albums-Her personal tastes and favourite artists,etc
-Paper airplane-Perhaps her and Mutt's handwritten wedding vows,one of their first love letters or even song lyrics.Could be lyrics to the song they had their first dance to at their wedding or a copy of her recording contract with Mercury in 1993 or maybe even her first piece of fan mail when she released Shania Twain..possibilities are endless on the paper airplane.

I do think there will be a time when Shania is interviewed and describes each items significance in detail.I have a feeling though it will have to be a question from a real fan because all the interviews she has done so far it seems the journalists cannot ask any new or intriguing questions and have to ask the same stuff over and over to the point we get the jitters and look like Shania does in the Up! video :JP :CZ :director

FV
01-28-2003, 06:26 AM
I think you got it right Sheri!:BL it's a good symbolism...I wonder whose idea it was....Shania's or the director's?

cbspock
01-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by FV

I think you got it right Sheri!:BL it's a good symbolism...I wonder whose idea it was....Shania's or the director's?

I bet it was Shania's.

-Chris

kirppu
01-28-2003, 07:17 AM
It can be Shania┬┤s idea, but the director told in an interview that it is the directors job to make a script to the videos.

Unless either of them explain a bit about the video, we can only guess what is whose influence.

Steve F
01-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Some excellent ideas of what the things in this video mean have been suggested. I have a strong suspicion that some day Shania will explain everything in the video. She either has it in her head or more likely down on paper. As I think about this, I am realizing that to do the video must have been a major effort, i.e., remembering all that's in it. I wonder how many takes there were.:)

Steve

AINAHS
01-28-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by CherryBaby
I love the Up! video and I am going to take a crack at these mystery items and tell my thoughts and theories

-Dog and AC/DC shirt=Mutt
-Jar and wind,etc=Her career,etc
-Albums-Her personal tastes and favourite artists,etc
-Paper airplane-Perhaps her and Mutt's handwritten wedding vows,one of their first love letters or even song lyrics.Could be lyrics to the song they had their first dance to at their wedding or a copy of her recording contract with Mercury in 1993 or maybe even her first piece of fan mail when she released Shania Twain..possibilities are endless on the paper airplane.

I do think there will be a time when Shania is interviewed and describes each items significance in detail.I have a feeling though it will have to be a question from a real fan because all the interviews she has done so far it seems the journalists cannot ask any new or intriguing questions and have to ask the same stuff over and over to the point we get the jitters and look like Shania does in the Up! video :JP :CZ :director It has been pointed out here that several interviews of recent vintage were real interviews with real questions.

Otherwise Shania might just ban interviewers!:D

cbspock
02-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Okay...I noticed something after she opens the jar. One of the letters flying around looks like her letter to the STC, and another looks like the letter she received from the Timmins Orchestra for the Shania Waltz.

-Chris

Jud
02-04-2003, 01:11 AM
Maybe I will go too far here, but the jar can have a double meaning, if you compare it to Pandora's jar (box):
One meaning is - just like the the winds were freed - her carrier took of as a whirlwind....
The other meaning is - the everybody blamed her for everything bad in country music....

This tread is funny, I bet we bring UP! ideas they never even thought about.....

dax
02-04-2003, 03:57 PM
I think the paper airplane has the lyrics to the song UP on it.I froze the video to when Shania is looking at the letter,and the first 2 paragraphs match how many lines are in the song .