PDA

View Full Version : Has Mercury blown Up!

cbspock
03-18-2003, 10:01 AM
With Up! sailing down the charts, with Mercury's lack of promotion and lack of pushing singles to radio here in the States, and not even certifiying the album, have they blown Shania's chances for this CD to have a long life? Seems Mercury is not going out of the way to arm twist like they did for TWIM, or atleast push for certifications like with COO.

-Chris

AINAHS
03-18-2003, 10:06 AM
What do our insider connections have to say?

cbspock
03-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by AINAHS
What do our insider connections have to say?

Nothing. No one is talking. No rumors, zero.

-Chris

talkalot24
03-18-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure they have totally blown it for UP, because if anyone can make a comeback even without full support of her label, it's Shania. I had a little bit of hope for Mercury right after UP was released and the site was redesigned, but that hope no longer exists. The did push the singles for TWIM, but are doing nothing, it seems, for UP! And why they haven't certified the album yet is beyond me!

It's time Q-Prime step in and "persuade" them to do their job!
Originally posted by cbspock
With Up! sailing down the charts, with Mercury's lack of promotion and lack of pushing singles to radio here in the States, and not even certifiying the album, have they blown Shania's chances for this CD to have a long life? Seems Mercury is not going out of the way to arm twist like they did for TWIM, or atleast push for certifications like with COO.

-Chris

jen
03-18-2003, 02:52 PM
I was just thinking the same thing about the promotion of Up...then it hit me!! I think they, as in Shania knows exactly what they are doing. With the release of FAFA on April 7th to country radio and with Kaching on top 40(Someone heard it on Rick Dees), i believe they are trying to hit us on both sides. With such popular success over seas with Kaching, they are now gonna get us good. FAFA will get us from the country side, while Kaching will get us from the pop/AC side. I see it already...It will get the world good-HAHAHAHAAHAAHAH!!!

Bryce
03-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Maybe they are waiting for the fire sale.

Bryce

cbspock
03-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Bryce
Maybe they are waiting for the fire sale.

Bryce

:confused: HUH?

-Chris

AINAHS
03-18-2003, 07:45 PM
The Universal entertainment assets are up for sale - that is his reference.

Bryce
03-18-2003, 08:04 PM
The Universal entertainment assets are up for sale - that is his reference.

Yep. With the financial mess Universal is in these lables likely don't know if they are coming or going. Budgets have likely been frozen. Some of the emplyees are likely more concerned with polishing up their resume then they are looking after the artists.

Bryce

cbspock
03-18-2003, 08:32 PM
Yep. With the financial mess Universal is in these lables likely don't know if they are coming or going. Budgets have likely been frozen. Some of the emplyees are likely more concerned with polishing up their resume then they are looking after the artists.

Bryce

:duh!

I guess that explains why for the pop release of Up! it was released under Lost Highway.

-Chris

Bryce
03-18-2003, 10:23 PM
:duh!

I guess that explains why for the pop release of Up! it was released under Lost Highway.

-Chris

Not in Canada. Up here both are on the Mercury lable. Don't ask me why. LOL

Bryce

cbspock
03-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Not in Canada. Up here both are on the Mercury lable. Don't ask me why. LOL

Bryce

LOL!!

Maybe the US division is in more trouble financially.

-Chris

AINAHS
03-19-2003, 12:02 AM
LOL!!

Maybe the US division is in more trouble financially.

-Chris The parent - Vivendi - is the one in financial trouble - Universal and Mercury are merely pawns.

Jud
03-19-2003, 12:04 AM
I think, the main problem outside the States, that Universal do not push her singles in sales and airplay.
I saw Celine's new song yesterday 3 times at VH1 europe, from Shania IGGG, not even Ka-Ching. And I drove all night - not really an impressing song in my opinnion.

In the US, Mercury doing the same not doing.

HomerSimpson
03-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Jud
I think, the main problem outside the States, that Universal do not push her singles in sales and airplay.
I saw Celine's new song yesterday 3 times at VH1 europe, from Shania IGGG, not even Ka-Ching. And I drove all night - not really an impressing song in my opinnion.

In the US, Mercury doing the same not doing.

I don't know why Universal/Mercury are doing this.I mean, if Shania sells a lot of albums, it would be great a thing to her and to her record label.Not only because the profits.If Universal/Mercury's portfolio contains artists with great selling power, it'll be much easier to take a loan and to pay a less interest rate for it.Also, a portfolio like that could help to raise the value of Universal/Mercury stock options.Coke is an example.Weather is a hard time or not, they don't cut their investment plains on advertising, promotions, etc(or cut just a little).To me, Universal/Mercury are choosing the riskless way.They know any Shania album can sell something like 10 million worldwide without great promotion.They prefer that scenario than taking some risk investing in something bigger.
With wrong decisions like this, it's no mistery to me why Universal is facing such a hard time.
I can be wrong, but that's my oppinion.

AINAHS
03-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by HomerSimpson
I don't know why Universal/Mercury are doing this.I mean, if Shania sells a lot of albums, it would be great a thing to her and to her record label.Not only because the profits.If Universal/Mercury's portfolio contains artists with great selling power, it'll be much easier to take a loan and to pay a less interest rate for it.Also, a portfolio like that could help to raise the value of Universal/Mercury stock options.Coke is an example.Weather is a hard time or not, they don't cut their investment plains on advertising, promotions, etc(or cut just a little).To me, Universal/Mercury are choosing the riskless way.They know any Shania album can sell something like 10 million worldwide without great promotion.They prefer that scenario than taking some risk investing in something bigger.
With wrong decisions like this, it's no mistery to me why Universal is facing such a hard time.
I can be wrong, but that's my oppinion. The employees at Universal are pretty scared for their livelihoods...probably from the top to the bottom of the organization...at such crucial junctures in life do you really think they have the best interests of their artists firmly in the forefront of their goals and objectives? Resumes are what they are worrying about methinks ... sorry situation.

Bryce
03-19-2003, 12:06 PM
The employees at Universal are pretty scared for their livelihoods...probably from the top to the bottom of the organization...at such crucial junctures in life do you really think they have the best interests of their artists firmly in the forefront of their goals and objectives? Resumes are what they are worrying about methinks ... sorry situation.

Not only employees but also artists. Some artists will end up being dropped and will find they no longer have a record deal.

Bryce

AINAHS
03-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Barry Diller Resigns as Co-Chief of Vivendi Entertainment Unit

March 19, 2003
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Barry Diller has resigned as co-chief
executive of Vivendi Universal Entertainment, saying it was
appropriate for him to step down while Paris-based Vivendi
Universal entertains bids for VUE's assets.

The entertainment unit includes Universal Studios and
Universal's theme parks. The move was not unexpected.
Diller was appointed interim CEO of Vivendi Universal's
U.S.-based entertainment assets last year while Vivendi
Universal concentrated on repaying a massive debt.

Former oilman Marvin Davis has offered $20 billion for
Vivendi's entertainment assets, including Universal Music
Group. Vivendi also is holding talks with Viacom, MGM and
other buyers interested in acquiring all or parts of its
entertainment companies. Diller served as co-CEO with
Vivendi Universal chairman Jean-Rene Fourtou.

"My executive role was never intended to be permanent,"
Diller said in a statement Wednesday. "Now that Vivendi
Universal has begun a formal process in reviewing options
for its entertainment assets, it is appropriate to step
aside from any direct management responsibility."

Diller, 61, remains chief executive officer of USA
Interactive, which operates the Home Shopping Network,
Ticketmaster, Match.com and Expedia, among other companies,
and has a 5 percent stake in VUE.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/19/business/18WIRES-DILLER.html?ex=1049095846&ei=1&en=cec31fa9670328fa

FV
03-19-2003, 01:47 PM
I see the points made regarding Universal Music in general...definitively not in a good position...and Universal branches across the planet could have done better...most of the times...Universal France is missing totally....Universal Italy and Spain have done the minimum.....on the contrary you have Universal Canada that has done a GREAT job in Canada promoting Shania's new album...There are problems at Mercury for sure...Luke is in charge of 3 labels in Nashville....how can he follow things through is beyond my comprehension...it seems to me Mercury has decided to focus on very few artists with minimum investment for now...they know Shania's sales will keep them alive for the next 2 years...and the they can see where they are...
If they had supported Shania more strongly, they would have benefited much more...especially with country radio stations..
If Universal collapses by the end of the year....will Shania stay with Mercury?:??

HomerSimpson
03-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by FV
If Universal collapses by the end of the year....will Shania stay with Mercury?:??

Isn't she supposed to record another album with Mercury because of a contract she has signed?

HomerSimpson
03-19-2003, 02:15 PM
The employees at Universal are pretty scared for their livelihoods...probably from the top to the bottom of the organization...at such crucial junctures in life do you really think they have the best interests of their artists firmly in the forefront of their goals and objectives? Resumes are what they are worrying about methinks ... sorry situation.

Maybe you're right.I think the CEO and some managers aren't worried(at least not much).Unemployement Spells for high skilled workers are short.But since the rest of the team is really worried, the tops of the organization can't do too much.Like you said, it's a sorry situation.

talkalot24
03-19-2003, 02:49 PM
I don't necessarily think Universal has let her down, but I think Mercury has! I mean, Shania is the reason Mercury's doors are still open! It's my hope she leaves Mercury.

cbspock
03-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by talkalot24
I don't necessarily think Universal has let her down, but I think Mercury has! I mean, Shania is the reason Mercury's doors are still open! It's my hope she leaves Mercury.

They could form their own label... "Twang Records"...lol :p

-Chris

GetchaGood
03-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Yes, they have... The album is doing well outside US, but in the US it's hardly done anything recently.. They better get on the ball or its gonna fade fast.

cbspock
03-19-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by GetchaGood
Yes, they have... The album is doing well outside US, but in the US it's hardly done anything recently.. They better get on the ball or its gonna fade fast.

UMG outside the USA has spent a lot on promotion, here in the States, what has Mercury done? There was no ad in Billboard magazine, when she returned, no special section like they do for some artists. zero. Guess that is why Luke is quoted in Blender has saying labels would love to have an artist who works as hard as Shania does. Guess he feels he doesn't need to spend any money.

-Chris

FV
03-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by HomerSimpson
Isn't she supposed to record another album with Mercury because of a contract she has signed?
I think so...there should be another album..but I wonder what will happen if Mercury is sold before Shania has to record the next album..which probably will not happen for another 2 years at the least..

Jud
03-20-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by FV
There are problems at Mercury for sure...Luke is in charge of 3 labels in Nashville....how can he follow things through is beyond my comprehension...it seems to me Mercury has decided to focus on very few artists with minimum investment for now...they know Shania's sales will keep them alive for the next 2 years...and the they can see where they are...
If they had supported Shania more strongly, they would have benefited much more...especially with country radio stations..

I think, it's not just that, but that beside Lewis must be other forces, which want to jump now the "traditional hype" bandwagon. Some, that I suppose never liked the fact that Shania is at Mercury, but they had to stay quiet. Now, when there is other direction in country radio, and they not playing too much Shania, they won't help the album with anything, since they have "feeedback" from the industry.(Or negotiation problems, but I think it less).
I think, this is the direction, and we will found out later. I wouldn't be surprised, if the certification thing woul not be connected to all this mess.

rtc
03-22-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by FV
I think so...there should be another album..but I wonder what will happen if Mercury is sold before Shania has to record the next album..which probably will not happen for another 2 years at the least..

If UMG got bought out by someone else, Shania's contract would still be valid. When someone buys a business, they buy the contracts, negotiations, and everything else that goes along. It is possible that the new owner may decide to

1. Offer Shania a better and longer existing contract
2. Offer a contract more beneficial to them than Shania
3. Continue with her existing contract
4. Drop her altogether

I don't believe the 4th option will happen, but anything is possible. I do see a lot of the new artists and a lot of the artists that haven't sold a lot, getting dropped from Mercury and it's subsidaries though. The new owners will keep the artists that can continue to bring in the most money. And you can bet Mr. Luke Lewis will be out on his behind just like everyone else because they'll feel it's partially his fault the business fell under.

Amanda

Steve F
03-22-2003, 04:52 PM
This is certainly a sad state of affairs. Gee, I wonder if there is another record company out there in the music world that would want to sign Shania?:eek: :eek: :D Yes I think so. I think if Shania was available, they would come running like the Paparatzies (excuse my spellng).:D

Steve

AINAHS
03-22-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by rtc
If UMG got bought out by someone else, Shania's contract would still be valid. When someone buys a business, they buy the contracts, negotiations, and everything else that goes along. It is possible that the new owner may decide to

1. Offer Shania a better and longer existing contract
2. Offer a contract more beneficial to them than Shania
3. Continue with her existing contract
4. Drop her altogether

I don't believe the 4th option will happen, but anything is possible. I do see a lot of the new artists and a lot of the artists that haven't sold a lot, getting dropped from Mercury and it's subsidaries though. The new owners will keep the artists that can continue to bring in the most money. And you can bet Mr. Luke Lewis will be out on his behind just like everyone else because they'll feel it's partially his fault the business fell under.

Amanda ...it could partly also be due to the fact that Luke let Mutt and Shania do their thing with virually full autonomy and therefore get the lion's share of the profits on her albums.

cbspock
03-22-2003, 06:42 PM
...it could partly also be due to the fact that Luke let Mutt and Shania do their thing with virually full autonomy and therefore get the lion's share of the profits on her albums.

Well, if Luke had as much faith in Shania that Mutt had, things would have been different, he didn't too bad for him. I love the chapter title in the Eggar book discussing the deal "The Great Nashville Bank Robbery" :p

-Chris