Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Board Administrator

Come on over turns 15

It’s not an overstatement to say Shania Twain‘s ‘Come on Over’ album is the most successful country album ever. It has sold over 40 million copies worldwide after separate versions were released in Europe. Twain spent over 50 weeks at No. 1 on the Country Album charts.

Valid criticisms that she stretched too far pop to be a true country star on ‘Come on Over’ don’t hold up when one counts the 11 (yes 11!) songs that charted on country radio, including three that went to No. 1.

This historic album celebrates its 15th anniversary today (Nov. 4, 2012). The most recognizable songs fans will still find on radio today include ‘You’re Still the One,’ ‘From This Moment,’ ‘That Don’t Impress Me Much’ and ‘Man! I Feel Like a Woman.’

Twain really only released three successful studio albums during her career, a fact that seems impossible given the influence she had and the impression she left. Credit ‘Come on Over’ for the illusion that she recorded more than she actually did.

Of course, her husband, Robert “Mutt” Lange, produced this and all of her albums. Reviewers both praised and criticized his slick sound, often in the same review. Yes, the fiddles were synthesized and machines seemed to replace humans at every opportunity, but he did it really, really well. The sexy singer embraced this style and made it more than acceptable to sell her good looks along with the music. Traditionalists were furious. But an album that sells 40 million copies — plus millions of singles — is beyond reproach.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Hard to believe. Where has the 15 years gone. It seems like it happened so fast. It is a fantastic musical event to put it mildly. Yeah, we got Taylor and Carrie, and yes they are talented, but Shania is a link between Patsy Cline and Reba that took things a whole lot further in country and pop. Can you imagine how much more COO might have done with today's media? Let's not forget that 15 years ago, it was in it's infancy per today's standard. Thank goodness I bought more than one copy back then, plus all the special versions. I've worn out two copies over the years. Finally, it still amazes me that if you go to Best Buy or Target, e.g., they are still getting from $11.99 to $13.99 for this disc. That tells me how popular it still is after all these years. Unreal!

Steve
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Board Administrator

I know I can't believe its been 15 years. I remember getting the first single LGMET and just waiting and waiting to get the album.

It is amazing the influence Shania continues to have even though she has only put out 4 albums. If you listen to country music even today you can hear it, and the videos you can see it.

I really hope as her show goes on in Vegas, she puts out a new album.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain

Last edited by cbspock : 11-05-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Post New Thread Reply