Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > The Former Shania Centre in Timmins
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Board Administrator

STC into the pit it goes

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Yeah, no surprise though I think. It's sad for me since I was there when it opened along with many here. One of the comments under the article was sadly true in that it wasn't Toronto. I know back when we discussed this locations like that came up, but, as you here so much today it is "location, location". If the STC was built in Toronto, or Ottawa, or even where she was born in Windsor, it might have faired a lot better. Even "gulp", even in Nashville it certainly couldn't have done worse.

Steve
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Whoops, just saw the article on the STC Board by Ren. So, it's a done-deal. I can see their side too. $300,000 a year is a lot for taxpayers to "gulp". That said, I can think of many things we taxpayers here in the Us foot the bill for that are a total waste and ridiculous when compared to the STC. Oh well, still open until the end of the month.

Steve
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 AM

Well, this is even more depressing:

Demolition planned for Shania centre

The Daily Press
By Ron Grech
January 9, 2013

TIMMINS - The Shania Twain Centre and Underground Gold Mine Tour will be history in more ways than one if Goldcorp Canada completes a deal to purchase the land where those attractions are located.

“If an agreement can be reached, our plans are to demolish both,” Domenic Rizzuto, manager of human resources and corporate social responsibility for Goldcorp’s Porcupine Gold Mines, told The Daily Press.

Goldcorp’s interest in the property comes at a time when the company is developing an open pit mine in an area pocked by subsidances from the old Hollinger mine workings.

The original proposed layout of the open pit saw the exterior wall or berm curving around the property where the Twain centre and mine tour site are located. If the land sale goes through, there will be less need for Goldcorp to prevent the berm from encroaching in that area.

“Goldcorp is in discussions with the city to purchase the Shania Twain Centre and Gold Mine Tour because there is an economic case to so,” said Rizzuto.

Timmins council announced on Monday the city was close to finalizing an agreement to sell the Twain centre and mine tour property to Goldcorp.

The potential sale price has not been revealed.

Timmins Mayor Tom Laughren said they were not in a position to publicly discuss dollar figures since the two sides were still in negotiations.

Laughren acknowledged the Twain centre and underground tour was costing the city a combined total of about $300,000 a year to maintain.

On Monday, Council unanimously supported taking the first step in selling the property by declaring it as “surplus” land.

The Shania Twain Centre opened July 1, 2001. The development of the centre was part of a $10-million upgrade of the tourist site shared by the two attractions. The construction of the centre was reported at the time to be approximately $5 million.

http://www.timminspress.com/2013/01...r-shania-centre

Steve
Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Administrator

So long STC! It was a great place.....lots of fantastic memories there...I have witnessed its birth and now I am seeing its death...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Board Administrator

It sure puts the mine really close to the city. Funny and they were complaining about pot holes not being filled because of STC, now the city will be right next to a giant one.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 01-12-2013, 07:47 AM

What's weird about it is that the STC never had a chance to grow old like most buildings. When you think how much it cost to build it, regardless of where the money came from, you have to think what a waste.

Steve
Old 01-12-2013, 02:56 PM

THANKS for the memorie

THANKS for the friendships that were made

You may be GONE

But you will not be FORGOTTEN

"SHE'S STILL THE ONE FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS"
Post New Thread Reply