Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > General
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 01-31-2005, 01:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to resessions
The Quitter Code

Simply stated, the last song on Shania Twain's Greatest Hits CD "I Ain't No Quitter" is a feel good, traditional country/western piece of music. On the surface the theme of the song doesn't differentiate itself from countless others in that same genre. But I intend to show why I think it's a masterpiece, not because of the music but because of the content and how it was presented.

When I first heard "I Ain't No Quitter" (IANQ) my thoughts were, "Now that's a great piece of country music! There is no way the folks in Nashville can say she isn't a country music artist!" I reveled in the fact that she placed IANQ at the end of the Greatest Hits CD as a statement. The message that I took from it was , "Hey guys (Nashville), all of the previous songs are hits and yet on a dime, I can turn around and put out something which you profess that I can't do anymore. Read 'em and weep boys. I've still got it!" And I thought that's all there was to it. End of story. I am convinced that IANQ would win a one on one competition (with the criteria being which song is representative of traditional Country/Western) against most of what was performed at the last CMA awards show.

But the plot thickens. With the recent winter snow, I found myself out in the weather with a shovel in hand and a CD player in my pocket to keep me company. No need to wonder which CD I was listening to. I was enjoying Shania's Greatest Hits. After about an hour of labor I came to the three new songs on the CD, paying closer attention to the lyrics to keep my mind off the strenuous exercise shoveling snow provides. It was in the process of shoveling the white stuff that my mind got to thinking about IANQ. I sat down on a pile of snow, hit the button to replay the song again......and then again..... And it hit me like a ton of bricks. I looked up into the sky and started to laugh. It was brilliant! Why Hadn't I understood it before? But the message was clearly there. All I can say is:
"Shania Rocks"!!

When looking closely at the lyrics, there are actually two entities that aren't quitters.

Him and Her.

But let's define who the "him and her" are. If you take the lyrics at face value, the "him" is a handsome cowboy type that has a lot of bad habits; habits that he isn't willing to give up. The "her" is a person that isn't committed to "him" but has enough of a vested interest that she is determined to help him see the error of his ways. It could very well be that's all the song is about.

=Continued=

Last edited by resessions : 01-31-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:25 AM

However, lets deviate for a moment to consider some of the things we've come to know about Shania and her music.

1. Shania's music is hers. She composes the score, she writes the lyrics and she draws on things in her life and experiences for inspiration.
2. In various interviews she is able to clearly answer questions about her music because she is the composer. There is generally a message.
3. Shania is a strong willed woman. She isn't ashamed of that. She wears it on her sleeve yet she doesn't flaunt it. Sometimes the world mistakenly confuses confidence with arrogance. But for those of us that know, Shania is always considerate of peoples feelings. We know there are no arrogant feelings in her demeanor. She is a confident person.
4. Shania is an advocate for the value of women and their place in society at every level. She represents this is a positive way. It never comes out in an angry feminist way but rather in a supportive "you can do anything you want to do" attitude. Her message reflects a statement that "Your efforts count! You contribute!"
5. The music machine in Nashville gave her the jumpstart needed to rise to national attention. No doubt about it. They had their rules that she lived by and followed in order to rise to a certain level of success. She didn't necessarily agree with many of the rules but she did what was necessary to get her career started.
6. Shania's focus on career was not on the same page as Nashville. Shania is about music and performance and providing enough to have a comfortable life. Nashville has always been about Money, Control, Fame and for the most part in that order.
7. Nashville began to realize what Shania already knew, that she is musically gifted. The translation was at different spectrums though. To Nashville it meant if we control this, it will be a boon to our industry and thus perpetuate the Money, Control and Fame they are addicted to. To Shania it simply meant an opportunity to do what she loves to do; write and perform her music in her own way.
8. Shania was true to her own heart. Her gradual departure from traditional country music politics was not a rebellion. It was simply a graduation to the next level of her musical expression. She is a person who lives the music. She never lost her ability to write and perform and "appreciate" country/western. Rather she rose to the next level. A form of self growth.
9. The cowboy boots in Nashville were quaking. From baring a belly button in a video, to no national tour after a successful CD, to a marriage to the most noted producer in the music world, to a band that didn't need to don Stetsons and Chaps to make the music believable, to doing it her way; all of this was a threat to the control Nashville used to have.
10. The rumors multiplied about her abilities. But those were quelled by back to back to back hits in: The Woman In Me, Come On Over and Up!
11. Shania is devoted to family. I have no doubt it will always be that way. When she sings songs about love, she does so with husband, child, parents and siblings in mind.
=Continued=

Last edited by resessions : 01-31-2005 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:26 AM

So then, back to the question: Who is the bad habit cowboy and the level headed, self assured woman in IANQ? Who is the "Him and Her"?

Very simple:

Him: Nashville, Bashville, Music Row...whatever you wanna call them.
Her: The Talented Musical Artist...Shania Twain.

Let's look at examples in the lyrics to substantiate it.

1. There are not one but two individuals who claim to not be quitters in the lyrics. The bad habit cowboy and the woman who wants to help him see the errors of his ways.
2. In the first verse, a laundry list of bad habits are clearly laid out. The first several habits are typically associated with those who have addictions and a lower base of moral ethics. Those who abuse substances and are verbally crude. He is further classified as cowboy because he "ropes and rides" but then comes the slam... A boozer - a looser. Once he's hit the bottom and needs help even though he will never admit it, in desperation he'll go to her for help (he call's me up when he's had too much) thinking he'll get bailed out. But she isn't fooled. She clearly can see he is ( a schemer - a dreamer).
3. Then comes the bridge to the song. Her reply to him is simple. Do what I do and you'll be okay. "When I tell him to change his ways, he just turns to me and says, I Ain't No Quitter". Bashville will never give up. They think they know it all. They can't accept that someone can survive without them. They are in denial.
4. This is followed by the chorus which is the second "No Quitter" in the piece. The fact of the matter is, she likes country music. She's never stopped liking it. She has simply expanded her repertoire and knows there is room for both to build the opportunities in either genre. "No, I ain't givin' up on him just yet, cause I'm as stubborn as a girl can get." She is quite certain he won't change but is sticking to her plan to not give up. She Ain't No Quitter !!
5. The second verse now comes along. This time it is a new list. Starts with a couple of crude habits again. "He Chews, He Spits" and then come all dependant vices that Money and Fame bring and which he can't imagine living without: The ability to strut and stroll-to be noticed. Having beautiful women flock to him because of what he controls. He doesn't ever want to lose that position. As the second verse comes to an end, the diagnosis is clear: "He's afflicted - addicted".
6. Then comes the bridge and the chorus again. He needs her, won't admit that he's wrong and she's right, and she is bound and determined to blossom. To have no boundaries in her music, and that includes not giving up on country when she feels like doing country music.

So is writing a new piece of music in a clear country/western style, one that has a tune so catchy that I hear there are already line dances being created for it, having it be placed at the end of a long list of Greatest Hits, with a message so clever that it drives home a subtle statement that she sees through what they are doing and that she is not going to change - is that all just a coincidence???

No! I say as I said at the beginning,
"It is a Masterpiece!"

So Nashville.... try to understand. Shania holds no grudge. She is still going to do country music when she feels like making country music. And her following is huge. But her rodeo is leaving town for a bigger arena. The invitation is out there for you to still be part of HER parade. But make no mistakes about it. She is sitting high in the saddle and is the Queen of the Rodeo.

And we love her for it.

Last edited by resessions : 01-31-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:11 AM

Oh Richard you are very good!.... I agree with you whole heartedly... my thoughts exactly when I first heard it..... what is so fun as to the way Shania writes is the interpretation is indeed open to many avenues of thought...but this one is right on! As she has herself said many times ..' THE BEST WAY TO GET TO KNOW ME IS THRU THE MUSIC'... The placement on the cd is PERFECT...Gives me alot of hope for the future of her music...... LOVE IT-LOVE IT- LOVE IT...

Last edited by sas : 01-31-2005 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:12 AM
...one Freaky Finn...

EXCELLENT analysis on the song's lyrics, Richard..!

...what else COULD one add to such an insightful series of posts..?

...perhaps something along the lines of a quote I've heared:

"Her music makes the world a better place"

John -
Old 01-31-2005, 08:02 AM
Board Administrator

5. They had their rules that she lived by and followed in order to rise to a certain level of success.

Yeah, Shania gave it about the time of one album. Mercury was getting ready to get rid of her, since album #1 didn't do well. It was her rule breaking video that got things going. She went to Luke and told him that Mutt wanted to produce her second record, she then stomped all over the "rules". So I wouldn't say she got to any level of success following the rules. It was by breaking them all she got to where she is.

10. The rumors multiplied about her abilities. But those were quelled by back to back to back hits in: The Woman In Me, Come On Over and Up!

They seem to still be using the same tired rumors 10 years later. They can't beat her legitimately so they stick to what they know. As mentioned in another thread...."The tendency of country music is, unfortunately, 'If you stay the same, we'll accept you. If you get outside our box, we'll stab you to death.'"

The one thing she needs to do is stop bailing them out. They need to crash once or twice.

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 01-31-2005, 08:10 AM
*~I Love You Shania!~*

Excellent post, Richard! I totally agree! Nashville will never put Shania down, 'cause she ain't no quitter! She'll always be better than them! Right on, Richard! My thoughts exactly!

Shania's Still The One, Forever And For Always!

I You, Shania!

53 DAYS UNTIL THE FIFTH ANNUAL WORLDWIDE SHANIA TWAIN FAN CONVENTION!!! GET READY TO PARTY HARDY!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:05 AM

Yes indeed Richard...It is good to see someone clearly present Shania's I Ain't No Quitter in so prosaic a fashion...Clearly Shania Ain't No Quitter and loyal to her cause and has been that way long before she came to Nashville to ply her trade in Country music...Her Mom Sharon and Father Jerry endeared her to country music and so she is committed to honor her families cause in Country Music...They may no longer not be around but still her Mom and Dad are still very much on her mind...Too bad Country is so dense that they cannot see this singular fact...But as Shania has said She Ain't No Quitter and has been born to country by her family...Something all we fans realize...I also thought it very appropriate that Shania position her song I Ain't No Quitter as bein last on her Greatest Hits album...From my impression it was a very subtle kick on the chins of music row by Shania...Maybe they will eventually realize that, if they have not realized it already...The song is pure genius...I can only think of Shania thinking up this one...

Benjamin
Old 01-31-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sas
...... As she has herself said many times ..' THE BEST WAY TO GET TO KNOW ME IS THRU THE MUSIC'...

And now also: BY VISITING THE STC !!!! (NOV. 2, 2004)

Anyway, Thanks Betsy. I kinda thought you'd be one of the first ones to respond to this thread! Do I know my Carolina girl or what !!!!

Last edited by resessions : 01-31-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FinnFreak

...perhaps something along the lines of a quote I've heared:

"Her music makes the world a better place"

John -

Awesome quote! Whoever said that must be a genius!!!

PS: John, are you and Jaana going to attend Fan/Con3 if we get a "No losts bags guaranttee" from the airlines?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:33 AM
Board Administrator

I just like the fact is happens to be the last track on the CD

-Chris

Old 01-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Board Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by resessions
And now also: BY VISITING THE STC !!!! (NOV. 2, 2004)

Definitely! Seeing Timmins, and STC.

-Chris

Old 01-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Board Administrator

Let's just hope there is a video for this song!!!!

-Chris

Old 01-31-2005, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock
5. They had their rules that she lived by and followed in order to rise to a certain level of success.

She went to Luke and told him that Mutt wanted to produce her second record, she then stomped all over the "rules". So I wouldn't say she got to any level of success following the rules. It was by breaking them all she got to where she is.

The one thing she needs to do is stop bailing them out. They need to crash once or twice.

-Chris

I completely agree with you Chris. But her initial patient attitude to "use" them as a springboard allowed her to reach a certain level of success that put her in the position to create the "What Made You Say That Video" is what I meant. After that, it was "HER" rules.

'I ain't givin' up on him just yet....Cuz I'm as stubborn as a girl can get"...Stay tuned for the "Just Yet" part.... There may be a "Crash & Burn" episode in the works.....and I wanna be sitting on the front row with you Chris with a big bucket of popcorn, enjoying the show & giving each other High-5's when it happens.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbspock
I just like the fact is happens to be the last track on the CD

-Chris

Me too!!! Thats why I called this thread "The Quitter Code" Lots of messages hidden in the whole thing. Bottom line is like what Betsy eluded to: There is more good stuff to come. The music will continue. Can't wait for the next new release...... Life is good.