Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!

Go Back   Shania Boards > Shania Talk > Shania in the news
User Name
Password

Post New Thread Reply

Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 AM

NEW DVD-Impact! Songs That Changed The World: Shania Twain

You can pre-order it on amazon.com
It's callled "Impact! Songs That Changed The World: Shania Twain - Any Man Of Mine".

"Shania Twain transcended all the genres and set the music industry on its ear. She combined country songs with pop style production and marketing, using video to create a dynamic image, injecting country with a more uptown style, and taking control of her career like no female had ever done in Nashville before. The magnitude of her impact set a new standard for country music, but also had far reaching influence in fashion, business, and social circles. Shania set new benchmarks for everybody in country music. Beginning with Any Man of Mine, Shania gave every female artist in country music permission and freedom to be themselves. The sassy and assertive tone of the lyrics to Any Man of Mine appealed to women everywhere. It was a new form of feminism. She turned the tables with her I love my man, but I love me too lyrics. But, the most obvious influence of Shania on country music has been an outstanding series of music videos that redefined the image of country music. .

With song clips, archive interviews with Carolyn Dawn Johnson, Dee Messina, Lorianne Crook, Chely Wright."
Everything's goin' your way
Old 10-23-2007, 06:35 AM
Board Administrator

Interesting, it is not a Mercury or UMG release....

Wasn't this a special on CMT Canada?????

-Chris

"...Living, Loving, Laughing and Dreaming....."-Shania Twain
Old 10-23-2007, 07:32 AM

It was a serie of songs which changed the history of music, each time different songs/artists, and half an hour. I saw it here in Israel in the TV.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Who's On First?

Is it legitimate or a bootleg?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM

Well, you can order it on amazon.com, so I suppose it's legitimate.
I can't tell you 100% because it's not under Mercury label, but I think so
Everything's goin' your way
Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM

I've seen this special, it has people such as Beverley Keel, discussing Shania's impact on Country music.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:12 PM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Gee, interesting. Something new but also not new, but then probably something to have.

Steve
Old 10-23-2007, 06:16 PM

that was on today on cmt canada. Does it mention how long it is?The tv version is only1/2 hr ,maybe this one runs longer.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

According to Amazon's site dax, it is 36 minutes. I can't make up my mind to buy it or not, but most likely I will end up doing so.
http://www.amazon.com/Impact-Songs-...93077589&sr=1-9

Steve
Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 PM

It's sounds interesting and thanks for the info!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 AM

Is thsi DVd also in germany aviable? I didn't found anything about this dvd on German websites...I would pleased if you help me.

Sorry for my bad Englsih
Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM

It sounds like it's legitimate and I think it came from some program they did about Shania, only now they are putting it on DVD! I ordered it!
Old 11-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Board Administrator

I just watched the show and here are some comments:

Shania's impact is felt in everything from female country music, fashion, business, and pop culture. The DVD contains Shania interviews from her appearance for Up! on CMT Canada.

Jodee Messina says that everyone want to capture Shania's sound, but they couldn't quite do it, Shania has her own thing going on.

Country music was never about empowering women, it was defining a woman by the man she was with.

Shania interview from 1996, she said the song started out as "This Man Of Mine", and Mutt helped showed her how to twist it around to a more empowering lyric.

AMOM was shot on Bo Derek's ranch.

Jodee Messina said if you watch Shania's videos from when she started to the present, there is something in each one everybody can relate to.

I guess this is the part of the video that Shania decided to cut, and was alluded to in a CMT special recently, The Greatest Albums...in Impact the scene is mentioned.. the original video for AMOM shows the horse licking bubbles off Shania in the tub, a scene the record label felt was too suggestive for music television.

Okay, AMOM would have been the 3rd Shania video banned from CMT if they kept that part....lol However that is pretty tame stuff compared to what CMT is showing now.

more to follow....

-Chris

Old 11-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Board Administrator

I will have to do some screen captures, since there are some pics in this I don't recall seeing a lot of.

AMOM brought fans in from key demographics, besides the typical country music fan which is a female 35 years old. Shania brought in teens, men, and international impact.

Young wannabees tried copying Shania.

Teens were drawn to Shania for her empowerment themes, it also brought in adults.

Her critics attacked Shania for her sex appeal.

Country music is now broken into two eras for female country music. That is BT and AT, they showed a couple of videos from Martina, Faith, Reba, from each era.

BT=Before Twain, and AT=After Twain.

Shania was willing to take chances with her image, videos, performance style, fashion, and her songwriting and by crossing genres.

Mutt's rock savvy and Shania'a accesible lyrics were part of Shania's impact and success.

All upcoming female artists, try to emulate Shania despite what they say.

Faith Hill had some name recognition in country music before Shania, but copied Shania when Shania was the focus of all the attacks, Shania made it safe for other female artists to be sexy.

Shania attracted corporate interest in country music again. Shania transcended all genres. Shania is seen as wholesome by corporatations. Shania was already "sold" to the audience that the corporations were trying to reach. They sought out Shania for her recognition with people.

Shania gave country artists the right to be themselves.

Through Shania's sucess, Mercury has been able to launch many artists, and the Lost Highway record label.

All artists after huge sucess have faced declines in commerical success, Elvis, Jackson, the Beatles, etc.

It is too soon to say what her legacy is going to be, but she has already affected at least a decade of country music. Her career is in uncharted territory......

Excellent dvd, screen captures over the weekend

-Chris

Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 PM

Watchout folks...With Shania you can always expect an earthquake from her when she is in town because she knows how to move people to respond to her songs and change you in unique ways that are possibly more positive in retrospect... Shania knows how to encourage people and give them an education at the same time with her lyrics... Also people often forget that deep within Shania she is taught to work in the framework of Ojibwe ways and has effectively used those teaching to great affect in her music...Such is the impact of Jerry her stepfather on Shania... But that is not to say Shania has her own sense of identity as she teaches people to always be themselves as best as they can be...

Benjamin

Last edited by corran : 11-26-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Post New Thread Reply