Talk about Shania's NEW album with other Shania fans!
North American Online Fan Club | Shania's Place | Shania Portal |
Shania Spotlight | Shania Twain City!
Shania Boards Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shania Twain North American Online Fan Club
Click For More Info on Shania's Kids Program!
[•] Visit Shania's Official Site!
[•] Still the One in Vegas!
[•] Shania on Spanish TV
[•] Shania on French TV
[•] Shania in TIME!
[•] Shania on Today Show
[•] Shania at Grey Cup
[•] Shania on Late Show
[•] Shania Desktop Calendar!
[•] Shania Fans Wallpapers!
[•]Chatroom
[•] Board Members Pics
[•] Timmins Trip Photos!
[•] Board Code of Conduct!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:00 AM
♡ Mone ♡

Musicians

I was wondering if there are people her that play instruments. Or course some of you play an instrument, but is anyone keen to talk about it?

I started playing the guitar a while ago, but I have some issues with strumming patterns and all. And I thought a topic like this would be fun. This was we can help each other figure out how to play (Shania's ) songs and just discuss which songs are fun to play and all .

Ok, I'll start. I play the guitar (like I said before), but I am not very good at it yet . Like I also said, I have issues figuring out strumming patterns. I know a few, but those just don't make the songs sound like they should. I know I should figure them out by just listening, but I have troubles translating the sounds into the movements of my right hand. Anyone got tips to work om this problem?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

Strumming is something some naturally have and others must work at. Even if it doesn't come naturally, most can work at it to at least find a way. When I was a boy, my dad and I played country music in the kitchen. He has always had problems learning many things, guitar among them. On the flip side, I never had a problem. The key is timing. As I said, it comes easy for some people and not so easy for others. There are many examples to use, but I'll give you a couple of Shania's. One is NAH. The timing is tricky. If we had that song to play back in the 1950's, he would have had an awful time getting that down. Honey I'm Home is another. I guess you can say that some people just know when to break and then come back in. Try picking one song and getting it down pat. I played in bands, but that was over 40 years ago. I rarely get a guitar out now. My life is different. I don't have time. I am forever going on google and typing in a favorite song and downloading and printing the words and chords. But then I hardly ever get to the song. When I do though, I work on just that song until I can play it with ease. I recently downloaded If I Fell by the Beatles and Love Letters by Elvis Presley. I need to refresh myself for If I Fell since I used to play that back in 1965. If you look around you can find many of your favorite songs on the internet at no cost. I don't need sheet music as I know my chords well. I do have the songbooks for the Woman In Me and for Come On Over. I also have the Eagles Greatest Hits.

Anyway, I have rattled on long enough. My advice is to not give up. Just keep practicing, practicing. You might be surprised after a while how far you have come. If you have someone you know who is an experienced player, and is willing to help, that is great. Call it a mentor, or whatever, I had one to help me all those years ago. Good luck Eilleen.

Steve
Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM
♡ Mone ♡

I do take guitar lessons, but only half an hour a week and he doesn't know Shania's music (shame on him I know!!). I am trying to get it right, but it is hard. I don't have a lot of time to practise either, with school, work, my horse and all. But I just keep trying.

I just wanted to learn some songs before I go to Vegas. I will bring my guitar and it would be nice if I could play some songs. On Monday I will see my guitar teacher again and we'll work on You're Still The One, so at least I will be able to play that one song, haha!

I just really love to play, but I really lack the talent, and that is hard. I know how it is supposed to sound, but I have difficulties creating the sound myself. That's the trouble. I am kinda old to learn how to play an instrument. But I won't give up . I don't even know what giving up is .
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 AM
OH,I BELIEVE IN YESTERDAY

My grandmother used to have lots of sayings. One was "you're never too old to learn". Keep at it.

Steve